2010 silver proof set

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
splinterhead
Coining Around

2010 silver proof set

#1 Unread post by splinterhead »

only one pupil on sacagawea?
Attachments
S20210318_002.jpg

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

Re: 2010 silver proof set

#2 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey S, these are found from time to time, I can find no record of attribution for this error, it may just be a grease strike through were some polishing grease got left in the pupil cavity. But I defer to the Coin Gurus for this one

EDIT: Not strike through, I meant filled. My ERROR. Although I still cannot find a absolute definition of "ERROR", seems subjective to me.
Last edited by Coin Mule on Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

I need to see full coin images.....

This is NOT an ERROR nor is it a GREASE FILLED DIE......
....... possible die plugging?

........ but I'll reserve my final comments, until I see full coin images
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by Iceresistance »

splinterhead wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:54 pm only one pupil on sacagawea?
Need full coin image . . .
You are never too old to learn something new

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
This is going to be rather difficult, as I'm old school, and believe that "ERRORS", are true unintentional major screw ups.

Unfortunately, in today's world, greed has taken over the industry!
I see so many coins with microscopic minuscule variations these days listed as errors/varieties it's over-the-top silly.
....... and the use of "Nicknames" for a majority of these, gets the undereducated collectors throwing large amounts of money at them.

I can see the confusion here,...... if you have a chance, go back and look at some of the early editions of the Cherrypickers guide.... You will see a lot of coins listed in those early issues, that are no longer there. Why? Significance/Lack of interest/Very minor variances.

....... I should also add, now that the general public as the ability to purchase a
low-end USB microscope, EVERYONE has become a expert in the numismatic field!

Most likely, it's just my tenure in the field. I have looked at and handled so many coins, that I guess my "Interests" in the error field have changed since I started.......
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey Paul, thanks for the response. I remember years ago my cousin, the collector extraordinaire, told me that grading and errors should only be able to be seen by 3x magnification, I don't know how accurate that was, and it was in the early "70's.

You know I got the traditional welcome from CONECA with a 1961 RPM Memorial, now I have tried everyway possible to see the repunch, the picture they sent is clear, but with the normal equipment that I use to verify the LIBERTY condition on a Barber Half for grading, I cannot make it out. I know it is there, but nothing I have, even a digital microscope app, does not capture it.

I think you are right, some marketing person hit on the idea of selling coins with "errors" for a premium. Seriously, if you use a SEM, then every coin is an error or VAM, at the molecular level. Even a high powered microscope will go too deep, and make every little tiny variance an error or variety.

Honestly, I think that if you need a microscope to see it, the validity, to me is questionable. The next thing will be PCGS having a an SEM label, and a blurb online, saying "all of our super duper, proprietary SEM labels mean that you the collector have the assurance that you coin was scanned by the latest technology using a Scanning Electron Microscope to ensure the absolute uniqueness of you coin" Then the fine print, " it is possible that your coins will not be returned to you in your lifetime, please see our POA documentation to designate a conservator in the event of you death"
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]