2019 LSC "frosted" area?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Jsul77798
Coinasieur

2019 LSC "frosted" area?

#1 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

Hello. So I have a:
-2019 Lincoln Shield Cent
-Obverse
-SE section to the right and below area of date.
- Improperly prepared die? Looks like a patch of " frosting" thats not supposed to be there.

Im thinking for some unknown reason this area of the die got treated by mistake the same way as the areas like the letters that would show some frosting. It came right out of a new roll so im not thinking PMD so much. Ive found some reference to this type of thing but nothing so large and on not on business strikes.

Anyone seen this before?
Attachments
20190518_164946.jpg
20190518_165109.jpg
20190518_165149.jpg
20190518_165245.jpg
Last edited by Jsul77798 on Sat May 18, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 2019 LSC, out

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Interesting...

If you lay a Lincoln Cent over the top of this coin, keeping the "frosted area" exposed, does the 'semicircular surface line' of the coin in question, match the rim of the cent on top?
whistling2:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

Re: 2019 LSC "frosted" area?

#3 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

Somewhat. It does look like it has the same curvature but there is also a patch going up the coat in an upward triangle type way that does not follow the curve. ( 1st nd 2nd new pic)I also just noticed the coin I used to check tbe curve has the same, yet not as large type of anomaly at bottom of the bust. (3rd new pic).I got 3 2019 cents today in change that I watched the guy break out of a brand new roll of cents. So it would make cents( haha) why these would both show similar areas. The 3rd one i got is normal.
Attachments
20190518_195553.jpg
20190518_195637.jpg
20190518_195521.jpg

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

Cant think of a strike through that would look like this.

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

Nice pictures! hugeeyes :trophy:

Does this "frosted area", look/feel the same as a DCAM Proof device?
:eureka:
Remember, I'm using Internet images to attribute here... So I might ask a lot of questions, but I think I have an answer. :dunno
whistling2:
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

The cent in question is a new business strike just to be clear. The area appears to be the same surface as what you would sometimes see on the letters or other devices of a nicely struck, brand new cent. That fine pebble like texture. I will pull out and compare to a DCAM. I really dont want to go rubbing these though..hahaha...AND not holding you to anything and understand the limitations!! I appreciate you talking this through with me.

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#7 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

Heres a pic of the cent, next to a satin finish 2008 half on top of a DC LC. Matches closest to the half, imo. Also is a pic attempting to capture the frosting of IGWT on the cent in question as it appears to be the same effect. If you really want me to feel for texture somehow, i will, but tell me EXACTLY what you wanna know and how best to correctly get it. Also let me know if I can photograph anything in a specific way or angle or anything. Are you aware of a situation where a die could get treated like this? If that is what this is? They colored WAY out of the lines if so.
Attachments
20190518_214235.jpg
20190518_214312.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

All modern cents have a similar finish to sating when they're early die stage and this is a coin that may or may not have some mint anomaly or post mint toning from something on the coin.

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

Im sorry Dan. I dont understand exactly what you mean. Its probably minor and means nothing but i want to understand this coin. I got 3 cents out of a new roll. 1 displays a sizeable patch thst resembles the pebbled look that youll see sometimes on the lettering etc of a business strike or most clearly on the devices of a proof or the feild of the satin finishes. That last pic was for comparison by request of another member.
So are you saying it can be normal to see a section of the field obviously displaying a patch with this pebbled "frosty" appearance when new? Ive just never seen anything like it and couldnt find any similar reference, but thats why I posted it. Appreciate any input!!!!!

Paul

#10 Unread post by Paul »

May I ask what you're using for a "imaging device"?
I only ask this, to determine what my next questions will be. Thanks.
whistling2:
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

I am not saying it is normal but you can't always find an answer for why a coin looks the way it does. A mint statement is sometimes the only answer if you can get one and sending the coin to them with your questions would be the only real why of finding out what happened.

Paul

#12 Unread post by Paul »

I would need to examine this firsthand to give you a 100% attribution here. hugeeyes

There are so many things that you can do to coins, many times it's hard to make an accurate determination of the post mint anomalies that individuals find on their coins that they post here.

If I had to guess, and I don't like to,... By analyzing your images, especially your cent overlay image, I would have to call this "Post Mint Damage".

Of course, if I had it "In Hand", and was able to "Scope" it myself, I would be able to give you a accurate, confident answer.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

Just using my cel phon. Nothing fancy. Samsung J7. Cozy cam camera app. Some pics through my loupe. Cropped, but i dont think I did anything to the colors or visuals on these pics. Ive had a lot of trial and error learning to attempt decent close up coin pics. I have a cheap microscope i use at times but again dont tgink thst was used on these.....so in short, just my phone camera app.....

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#14 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

I understand totally..ya can only tell so much from a pic...thank you for the input though!!

Has anyone ever seen a coin with a legit area of misplaces surface texture misplacement like this?
Not sayin thats wat i got, just aakin if anyones seen it before....

Thanks!!!!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

No such thing, one area can be frosted or something wrong with the die face, but a coin like that will need to be sent to the mint and a letter of explanation on the coin from the mint.

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#16 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

I figured the only way this could be a "error" was with ,as you said, there being some issue with that part of the die face. I was however, totally unaware of a similar example ,or reference to one, that I could compare it too. I also had no idea about how youd find out and its cool to learn that things can be sent to the mint. I try to figure as much as i can out on my own and really have no one local to consult on these things, but if you and palh both say pmd, ill toss it in the weirdness bin and move on to the next Frankencoin.....lol......So, not worth pursueing? Correct?
Thank you gentlemen!!

Btw!!!!!! How bout that 59 wheatie!!!???? Amazing find if real!!!!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Daniel »

Yeah the 1959 would be but I have my doubts.

I can't say not "worth" but if you need and answer then pursue.

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#18 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

If yall dont think its worth it, I trust your judgment and it can go on the backburner for now. I have about 6 mos worth of finds put aside I need to id and catalog or investigate further rite now. I trust that your fairly confident in your assesment and would tell me if you werent and if it was a reasonable chance of something intetesting. Im not so much worried about value as getting better at correctly IDing the things I find and educating myself more. Sometimes in more detail than normal.....anyways, thank you for your time again Dan!!!!!

And for the 59? Itll be interesting to see. This is a big deal find if real. As if you didnt know....lol....not sure if hes been around a while or known but that response msg to u on pcgs alone makes me wonder a bit on the whole story. Youd think one would have turned up or at least been rumored of by now. Anythings possible though. Had it been me though, id be on a road trip TO pcgs....that coin would NEVER see the mail....lol......

Thanks gents!!!!