Search found 759 matches

Return

by DSCoins
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:13 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Long Ago Find

It has been a wile now, 6+ years. It accrued when I had to put my German Shepard down due to cancer. To help me get over the grief of losing her, I went out metal detecting. To this day I can not explain why I found this object. I was doing one last trip from field to my car. I didn't really find an...
by DSCoins
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:14 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Almost but not quit

I know this is not a doubled die, but am posting the photos any way just to show how to much magnification and not checking die markers will get you EVERY time. S20190825_0002.jpg S20190825_0001.jpg not quit a ddr 2.jpg S20190825_0002 (2).jpg Now for a photo at around 10X Not quit a ddr 5 smaller M...
by DSCoins
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:56 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: varieties

Thank. Heck I'd be lucky to even see the date at 5X hugeeyes
by DSCoins
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:43 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Introduction

I probably should have posted here first (May 16, 2019) before posting other places. I signed up for this forum after seeing Daniel on YouTube via my TV. I found him to be very inciteful, staying on topic, not dragging out the topic, keeping his video's short and to the point. Also, by bring up top...
by DSCoins
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:21 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SEARCHING PENNIES

I know this way might not work for some, while others it may help. I am going to explain how I look for Doubled Dies or other Varieties. While opening the rolls of cents. I will sort them first by decade, next I will sort them by year (Example: I have one aluminum bread type container for each deca...
by DSCoins
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:48 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Double struck coins

I am a little bit confused about what some on YouTube clam to be a Double Stuck Coin. To me the coins that they are showing look more like clashes. So my question would be. What exactly is a Double Struck Coin?

Thanks
DScoins
by DSCoins
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:53 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Double struck coins

Thanks Daniel. The clashed dies I am very familiar with. It was some of the photos on the channels which got me confused. By putting it the way you did, I now have the under standing between the two. I will also follow up on Error-Ref. I really should start doing as I preach, by looking at on-line ...
by DSCoins
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:50 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sell or not to sell

Sorry this post is so long. I am writing this post mainly for myself as I find writing things down helps me retain the information. Due to the fact this one is coin related, I decided to make it a post. More than likely you first started searching rolls of coins to fill up a Whitman folder you have...
by DSCoins
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:36 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: EDS? MDS? LDS?

EDS = Early Die State basically a newer or new die MDS = Mid Die State, this will show more markers do to more wear. You may find them where a Die Break has accrued, or die Chips. LDS = Late Die Stage. The Die is very close to end in which it will be used. You may find a lot more Die Deterioration ...
by DSCoins
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:40 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1968

No mint mark means it came from the Philadelphia mint. The only time they placed a mint mark was 2017. As for the rest of the coin, I personally do not see anything. hugeeyes ………..

DScoins
by DSCoins
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:37 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nickel in Trash

I had to go to the sheriffs office today, to renew my Cancelled Carry Permit. After my care giver went in to let them know I needed to use the handicap entrance. Just as she was about ready push my wheel chair, she spotted a nickel on the top of the trash bins. It was about 3/4's away from falling ...
by DSCoins
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:59 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Magnification vs Resolution

In an earlier post I asked Paul about the Magnification he used when taken some photos of a coin he looked at for me. He stated that it was not the Magnification but it was Resolution of the photo. It took me while (long while), to completely under stand what he meant. Although I may have to search...
by DSCoins
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:00 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

error-variety listed one site and deleted from another

I was looking through the penny websites to get an idea of what I needed to look for on 2004 cents and ran across a contradiction between Copper Coins and Variety Vista. Copper Coins has a 2004 P originally listed as 2004P-1DR-003 then under that they have (Quote from Copper Coins site) "THIS ...
by DSCoins
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:05 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2006P WDDO-045 or dud

PetesPocketes55. Yes I did mention that in the original post, that it may be to low for the WDDO-045. Daniel, Yes the lighting is different. Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge or experience that Wexler has. Really wish I only had at least half of what he does. The anomaly is raised, and the m...
by DSCoins
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:31 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: penny weight question

As far as I can remember up until 1908,the UK minted the coins for Canada. I do not recall the US ever making any coin for them at all. There is one case in which the San Francisco mint minted a 1970 Washington Quarter not on a blank planchet but over a 1941 Canadian Quarter. a Mike Byers had it up...
by DSCoins
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:38 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PCGS and Unlisted Nickels

Scroll further down. They are listed. When I first tried to look up the 1942 thru 1945 silver nickels, they only listed the 1942 type 1 along with 1942 D (1942-D/D D/ Horizontal D FS-501 (FS-027). Next they had listed the 1946 thru 1950 D. I never considered that after listing the 1950 D, they woul...
by DSCoins
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:19 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Surprize I Just Found

I was going through my coins attempting to catalog them when I discovered I had some how acquired a 1878 S Morgan dollar. I honestly do not remember where, when or from whom I purchased it from. So I am going to put up some photos of this mystery/surprise coin. IMG_0721.JPG IMG_0713.JPG As I Always...
by DSCoins
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:12 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Obverse stamped over Reverse (1983 penny)

This is a slight die clash. [/size] :agree: I love finding them while coin roiling hunting. The vast majority you find will not to mush of a primum, If you find a strong Clashed Die were can see strong details of the Obverses on the Reverse, along with also seeing strong details of the Reverse on t...
by DSCoins
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:37 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

TPGs grading are really confusing on what they are doing

I really can't figure out what goes though a graders mind when (He/She/They) look at a coin. I have been trying to get my coin area all squared away (set up better), cataloging my coins etc... I opened a box in which there were approx. 15 ANACS graded Peace Dollars which were sent out way back in 2...
by DSCoins
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:38 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crying Frankllin

hmmm wonder why my response I typed yesterday did not post? Any way I knew it was a Jefferson and not a Franklin. I have no clue why I typed out Franklin. Must have been a brain Fa.. :mad:

DScoins
by DSCoins
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:01 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What going on two 1988 in same box?

I realize that now. Before I went to bed last night, I remembered that you had talked about it on your YouTube channel, so I did a search and found out what you just typed. Although it was to late by then to do anything about the post. It refreshed my memory, and hopefully it won't happen again (so...
by DSCoins
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:28 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1968 proof

It's not a proof. A proof is a die finish that when it strikes a coin it imparts this finish on a die. You coin is a regular business strike coin and they didn't misplace the mint mark on these coins. :agree: Don't know where this misprinted and misplaced mint mark came into being, but if you are b...
by DSCoins
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:32 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1969 -D

I finally got my camera and lights set up. Yes I do use a tripod when I take photos of coins. On the first coin I did find a very small amount of the upper bar on F. As soon as I can find the second 1969 D cent I will take some photos of it to try to verify it as a no FG using your lighting suggest...
by DSCoins
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:44 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1970 S 1 Cent Small Date or large Date??

I hate to pop your bubble but in my opinion it looks more like a large date. Looking at where the upper part of the nine is pointing in your photos the curve is point to somewhere between the 7 and the mint mark. If it was a small date then it would be pointing somewhere close to the middle of the ...
by DSCoins
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:42 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1943 steel cent?

More than likely caused by circulation issues and toning. [/size] :agree: I agree with both Paul and Daniel. As Paul once told me, "Your trying to Hard". Also if you are using a USB type Microscope you need to search on the lowest magnification you can get. Another thing to keep in mind a...
by DSCoins
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:16 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1986 D Washington quarter odd shaped D

This is post mint damage ......... George says he hates microscopes............ Justapiece, I have found that if you are going to use a microscope to search with, I would recommend that you also get a handheld magnifying glass (about 2x-5x). If you think that you have found something, take the coin...
by DSCoins
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:16 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Very strange looking Penny-mint error coin?

Dang, some one was mad and took it out on this poor defenseless cent.

DScoins
by DSCoins
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:01 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bucket List

After much debating with my finical boss {Spouse} I have added to my bucket list to attempt to get 59-present cents in MS condition (they can be MS 60 and up), through coin roll hunting. I am not allowed to purchase any of these coins separately. I know this is going be hard if not impossible to do...
by DSCoins
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:26 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1998 P Washington Quarter UFO

Daniel you hit the nail right on the head. UFO sightings all over the place.

:l :l :l lol: lol: lol: :l :l

DScoins
by DSCoins
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:15 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: USM Coin Microscope

I don't use a microscope and don't recommend them for newbies. I would use a camera and a 10x magnifiers otherwise you will see things on your coins that will confuse you. :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: It seems like Paul is against Microscopes, at least for the new comers searching rolls....
by DSCoins
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:06 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1956 Jefferson FS?

OK Paul, I apologize to George then . :w I under stand about what you are saying. Having not being able to hunt any coins at all since 2014, until about 3-4 months +/- ago, I tried to jump in with both feet. I found out that I had just plain forgotten more then half of what I used to know. Because ...
by DSCoins
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:54 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The problem using a USB Microscoes

Sorry about how long this post is. I am as guilty as everyone else when it came to using a microscope to search my coins. After a few comments by someone I will not name, told me a number of times I was trying to hard. At that tine my thinking was how could I be trying to hard, after all it was rig...
by DSCoins
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:19 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2006 Colorado Quarter...??? Help??

If you really think you found something, even though two highly skilled indivisibles one of whom is certified by CONECA to actually verify new errors and varieties. Then you should go ahead and spend the money to get it checked. As for me I would listen to what they are saying and save the money. O...
by DSCoins
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:28 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1953-D variety?

I think that it should also be pointed out if I am not mistaken that because the mint mark was manually punched on each working die which makes the coin, that means you could get thousands of them. I hope I am right on that. OK lets see if still remember this. A Master Hub is used to make Master Di...
by DSCoins
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:28 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Found new DDR

As stated before you must use coppercoins.com and look for the date and mint and match your coin. It's the reason you need to know date and mint to attribute which DDR IF in fact they are. :agree: I am also going to say that I have a boat load of the doubled die columns/bays and I do not hugeeyes o...
by DSCoins
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:07 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1807 half 50/20

I'm not sure if I am missing something here. By looking at the top of the photo it states "does this coin look cleaned--ngc vf20-" Is it already graded by NGC if not, where did the NGC VF20 come into play at the top of the photo?

Thanks
DScoins
by DSCoins
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:37 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1969 D Lincoln Penny, no designer initials, Red

What you should do when taken photos of your coins to post to board. Take photos of both the Obverse and Reverse of the coin. If the photos look a mile away then no one will be able to see what's on the coin. Make the full photos as large as you can with out making them blurry also it would help to...
by DSCoins
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:01 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lost In Time

I'm siting here sorting out all the coins my spouse held safe for me during the 2014-2018 time frame. The biggest problem I have is that I can't for the life of me remember when I bought them. In one of the bags she handed me was a full bag of unopened 1971 Kennedy Half Dollars. What makes this rea...
by DSCoins
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:32 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1998 P Washington Quarter

I don't hugeeyes any doubling. What I see on this coin is Die Deterioration. If I'm wrong I am sure either Paul or Daniel will correct me.

DScoins
by DSCoins
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:59 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is this a doubled die? 2019 P dime

When posting your photos, you need to keep in mind that when you post a small portion of a coin you would like someone to look at and give you advise on the type of error/variety, you think it is, will not help them at all. In fact it could be just the opposite. You should take photos of both the f...