Search found 149 matches

Return

by Mrweaseluv
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:49 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

GTG 1856 Large Cent headed into NGC for grading

That's right Guess The Grade!!! No prizes other then knowing you got it right.
Honestly I will be very happy if it comes back as MS60-61 but I'm expecting to see AU 55-58
What do you guys think???
20201119_133626 (2).jpg
20201119_133644 (2).jpg
by Mrweaseluv
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:57 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: grade for this coin and would it get FSB?

Not great with Merc's but some advice on taking coin pictures... One thing the pic doesn't mention is, take the time to "crop" the picture so only the coin shows. It makes a big difference...
coinphotohow.jpg
by Mrweaseluv
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:02 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to safley clean

exactly, the paper was not acid or sulfer free so has caused the start of the patina/toning. This issue has plagued collectors for many years as a lot of the early coin books/folders would also cause this exact same issue. NOTE: This patina does not in any way decrease the grade or value of the coin...
by Mrweaseluv
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:22 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1971 DDO?

In all the coin groups i go to I almost never get to say this
but
Yes, that very much appears to be a ddo Clearest in the LIB
so nice to be able to say yes for a change :D
by Mrweaseluv
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:23 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1969 s (double die obverse penny) need verification

Sorry I see Die deterioration or DD, not double die
by Mrweaseluv
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:11 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Santa came early... 1878 $2.50 liberty head

woman was flipping through my watched auctions and told me I had to buy it for Christmas :D I know this is gonna cost me good lol
AU58, but looks better then a 58 to me :D
2.jpg
3.jpg
by Mrweaseluv
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:29 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1946 Trans. Error Silver Nickel

I thinking he is refering to the "Frith nickel" (sorry didn't watch enough of the video to see if that was what he was talking about) If it is the Frith he is talking about it is a 1946 s silver nickel and is a unique coin that not a single one of the big coin graders will touch (not even ...
by Mrweaseluv
Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:32 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to Handle Coins ?

Trenton-Gifts-Shark-Head-Multi-Tool.jpg
Oops, that's for Hummels

yeah cotton gloves for AU+ and careful fingers below that mostly :D
by Mrweaseluv
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:06 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Accuracy of PCGS Price Guide regarding braided hair cents

Honestly, not very accurate at all... I have both the small and Med dates (still looking for a nice tall) and both around the $20 mark for VFs.. You can usualy do much better then the PCGS guide price on large cents if you are willing to search around... The link below is my $20 large cent set... AL...
by Mrweaseluv
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:22 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

By having them graded you WILL greatly increase the selling price of Large cents. Of all the coins I have bought and sold over the years LCs are the only ones I can say I have consistantly made a profit on. In the case of a 46 tall date you can probably make a decent profit, it is the tougher of the...
by Mrweaseluv
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:35 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I would probably call that one vf-ef or about a 40... LCs are graded a bit more leniently then most other coins of their age (don't ask me why) This is a good picture guide I tend to use to make these grading calls :D and you don't even have to go far to find it :D :D :D https://coinauctionshelp.com...
by Mrweaseluv
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:47 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2 new additions to the $20 Large Cent set.

As I believe this is my 1st actual post of the $20 large cent set here let me explain a little. Simply stated This set is the "best" set I could build at a average cost of $20 per coin. Yes this means I might spend 25-26 on a great example but just as many i got for 10-15 :D This is the se...
by Mrweaseluv
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:25 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to tell if a Bank Bag of Pennies is legit or if it has been resealed

Simply stated... they don't exist... every bag and every roll that you see for sale HAS BEEN SEARCHED... There is no such creature as a sealed roll or bank sealed bag.. both seals are easily openable and resealable without leaveing any detectable mark. Can you buy bulk wheats and find some good coin...
by Mrweaseluv
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:05 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Should I crack it out and get it certified? full RED

It may sound silly, but it is probably worth MORE in the "casing" Items like that are often VERY sought after. The proper term for them is Exonumia, and can include encased coinage, flattened pennies/coins even "hobo nickels" fall into this catagory. A good example and my favorit...
by Mrweaseluv
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:15 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PVC or NOT PVC that is the question

The question is : Does acetone make it un-gradeable ? I previously mentioned: And an acetone (pure - inexpensive at Walmart in the health and beauty section) bath cannot chemically alter the metal in any way. Let me expound: 1. Acetone molecules cannot affect/interact/paint/dissolve/integrate with/...
by Mrweaseluv
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:20 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone know why ms70 turns rb pennys crazy colors

SensibleSal66 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:18 pm Hello,Welcome !
Who graded it if I may ask ?
Just a heads up Sal.... MS70 is a metal, specificaly "coin" polish... not one i use, but others say it works well.... just does funky stuff to copper :D as it was designed for "white" metals.. not brass/bronze/copper :D
by Mrweaseluv
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:27 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Do you ever

My colonials more then any others give me thoughts like that :D I have much older coins (say 2k years old) but something about the American colonials just brings out that feeling even more.. Might be all american history beaten into my head as a child :D Coins like these just to post a few :D Oh and...
by Mrweaseluv
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:54 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PVC or other gunk inside a PCGS slab?

Agreed, On a coin like that even I would not attempt the conservation myself... I would send to NGC or PCGS for the job... as is PCGS slabbed, they would probably be my 1st choice for the job.
by Mrweaseluv
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:48 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: military payment certificate

Yours lacks the J at the end of the serial number making it a reprint/replacement note. This in effect could make your note more valueable as the replacement notes are harder to come by im told.. Quote from antiquemoney.com... Series 641 Military Payment Certificate Value Military payment certificat...
by Mrweaseluv
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:02 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New purchas

did a search on papal state coins as well.. this coin is not listed there but as thairunts said he did do the tour in the czech republic in 1990 so at a guess (and it is a guess as i can't find any listing for this coin) I would say it was a souvenir token from that visit..
by Mrweaseluv
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:05 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

hehe had to share :D

138923582_10165552413060377_2253048178180034103_o.jpg
by Mrweaseluv
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:53 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New addition to the $20 large cent set.. Key date 1816!!

The set continues and keeps proving you can build a nice set on a budget if you're willing to put in the footwork searching :D
I've seen a few in the $20 range but mostly near dateless slug like coins.. this one has some nice meat too it still
Todays addition
1816!!
1816o.jpg
1816r.jpg
by Mrweaseluv
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:06 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nickadate

Well said Mule :D
by Mrweaseluv
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:42 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Opinions of US collectors of the scarcity of the Canadian cent

well I collect canadian Large cents, but not so much the small cents... though I do have several rolls of 2012s kicking around :D but even the large cents getting harder and harder to come by :D
by Mrweaseluv
Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:50 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This months addition to the $20 Large Cent set. 1808!

Pushing the "limits" of the set with this one at a whopping $28
Thanks to the sellers bad pics (below) I did very well :D Very few 08s sell in the 20s :D
1808.jpg
1808r.jpg
by Mrweaseluv
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:24 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2nd addition to the $20 LC set this month... 1840 small date. but wait... there's more!

Yes there is more because if you look closely at the blow up of the date (from sellers pics for now) you can see that the 4 is clearly doubled and the 8 shows the hump on the lower right and appears to have the lip on the lower left 3 strong indicators of the 1840 small date over large date variety....
by Mrweaseluv
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:20 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

#4 for the $20 LC set (gift from my woman) but she wanted to pick it out...

So I let her... (she can't complain I went over budget with this when she made me do it lol) Nothing fancy a nice simple 1848. I had her look at over 100s possibilities (48 being a common date) Narrowed it down to 4-5 coins, but she kept coming back to this one with a "not so great" pictur...
by Mrweaseluv
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:50 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone been hassled while using a metal detector?

many many times and I'm 100% on filling my divots and not messing up lawns/grounds I detecting. As i do a lot of this on state owned lands that is a requirement here in NH can't leave holes/debris and you have to carry away and crap you dig up. on the other hand it is usualy just that a bit of hassl...
by Mrweaseluv
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:57 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is this "1943 copper penny" Fake(it probably is, but I have to ask)

Honestly, let's face it... NOBODY with even the slightest knowledge of coins would sell a 1943 copper cent.. we not talking an unknown rarity here, but the most searched for rarity of them all with the greatest number of people "in the know" about it's value. IT"S a FAKE and the selle...
by Mrweaseluv
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:48 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: WAMs and CAMs

the errors usualy do not.. It is my understanding that the "errors" happend because a proof die was used in conjunction with a circulation die by mistake (the proof coins had the close am while the circulation coins should have had the wam) on other dates the opposite happened cam became w...
by Mrweaseluv
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:33 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Couldn't resist this rarest of rarities tonight

and for $6 bucks worth the chuckles i'm gonna get outta it lol...
1815.png
1815r.png
by Mrweaseluv
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:00 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Couldn't resist this rarest of rarities tonight

:P then stop following me lol... stalker...... sheesh!!!
by Mrweaseluv
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:44 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Decided to start on a new MS morgan date set....

This time I'm gonna try for an MS date set.. that of course puts at least 2 coins well out of my present financial reach, but with a lil luck I might just be able to land those ugly key dates in a few months (if things go right lol) For now I decided to start off easy with a nice 1883o Vam 36a In MS...
by Mrweaseluv
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:41 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Decided to start on a new MS morgan date set....

That's the nice part about A "date" set... One for each year instead of 3-4 it lets you swerve away from the 93 s at 140k and fill that date with a 93 P which is only about $650 at MS60... the 93 and 95 being the 2 "uglies" i mentioned above there are a few other "uglies&quo...
by Mrweaseluv
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:56 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PSA: VAMs

Yes Vam's is specific to morgans and peace dollars, specificaly based on the study you mentioned above.. This is probably be best resource for VAMs at the moment.. It might help a little :D
http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compu ... Ms_by_Date
by Mrweaseluv
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:25 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

GTG 1881s Morgan

Yeah I jumping into the new morgan set fairly quickly lol... $1400 from the Govt... $400 added to the coin budget lol :D and put the other 1k into savings (yeah right) So here she is, I think a real beauty.. will post the full slab sometime tomorrow afternoon :D Feel free to try for the VAM as well,...
by Mrweaseluv
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:22 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PSA: VAMs

Coin Mule wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:05 pm But if you are a real VAM collector, they are called "My Precious"
Only the ones you find and have certed yourself get "My Precious"!!!

My Precious lol
1890 VAM 15a (R-6 Vam I IDd myself shortly after it's discovery...
20201124_235403.jpg
20201124_235416_HDR.jpg
by Mrweaseluv
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:18 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another GTG 1887!

The Auction goddess has been kind tonight. I almost hate to make you guess :D
but their's no fun in that.
here she is 1887
Don't know the VAM yet myself but feel free to guess :D
1887 (2).jpg