Search found 132 matches

Return

by karl.bursa
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:23 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PCGS For The WIN!!

Hey, guys. I'm sure you recall a few weeks ago, I posted about a special coin that I was given to celebrate the end of my cancer treatment. I posted about it here and on Reddit and joked that I couldn't spend it and that PCGS probably wouldn't grade it. Well, someone from PCGS saw the post and conta...
by thairunts
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:29 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Couple of cents from PCGS

I sent a half cent and an Indian cent in my most recent PCGS grading shipment. Wondering if I got lucky and unlucky on them? For this half cent, it came back as AU Details - 98 Damage. I'm not sure I can pick out which mark is considered damage on this. 57.jpg For this Indian Cent, it is a pretty ra...
by xapatrick
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:41 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GTG 1856 Large Cent headed into NGC for grading

That's a nice coin. But to me the toning looks a little suspect- maybe an old cleaning? But I am no expert on that and will wait to see what others say. Those old large cents are a favorite of mine.
by Daniel
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:37 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to safley clean

I disagree with both of you, I've seen MS66 coins that were dipped before submitting and toned examples straight from a mint set. You will never figure out why they grade some coins the grade they do. You don't ever get the same set of eyes on any coin. And if the rumors true they get bonuses for gr...
by Coin Mule
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:12 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Introduction

Hi, new to the site, and am looking forward to share and learn from the group. I just picked up a RAW VAM 37A2 in a random roll. I will post photos in the VAM area.

The Coin Mule
N.C.
by Paul
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:47 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nice 1953 RPM :D

It sure looks like the 1953D-1MM-001 to me…
by SensibleSal66
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:14 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Santa came early... 1878 $2.50 liberty head

Merry Christmas Early , I'm a tad bit jealous . I would of graded this a MS -61 + . Nice find !!
by Tommytucker
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:11 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What kind of error is this on a Lincoln Penny?

I did some research and the closest thing I can find is a struck thru cloth but there is no cloth like pattern on the obverse and the reverse looks almost perfect.
by Gam3rBlake
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:48 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New pickup from Northern Nevada Coin! :)

Hey everyone, Today I was in Nevada and I stopped by Northern Nevada Coin which is a coin shop right next to the Carson City Mint. This is what I picked up :). A 1799 Draped Bust Dollar! I never thought I’d own one of these so I’m super happy to have it. D634671B-3CD3-4B5A-95F0-C925CA06240F.jpeg 5A7...
by Jen111
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:24 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey guys!!

Hello! My name is Jen!! Coin hunting is a hobby that I’ve dabbled with since I was a kid. I especially loved trading clad for silver with all the suckers at the vending machine in high school. Nowadays - it’s a super awesome way for my husband and I to hang out and spend some quality time. He too ha...
by Daniel
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:16 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PVC or NOT PVC that is the question

PVC residue is usually sticky or tacky
by Earle42
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:47 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The question is : Does acetone make it un-gradeable ? I previously mentioned: And an acetone (pure - inexpensive at Walmart in the health and beauty section) bath cannot chemically alter the metal in any way. Let me expound: 1. Acetone molecules cannot affect/interact/paint/dissolve/integrate with/...
by Coin Mule
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:33 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not the best article I've read on the subject.. but it covers the point i made :D https://blog.goldeneaglecoin.com/silver-coins-tarnish/ Hey W, Sulfur to keep the rats out, wow, I didn't see that coming either. Where did the Banks keep these coins, in a dirt root cellar. Now I understand why the Ba...
by Daniel
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:45 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone know why ms70 turns rb pennys crazy colors

You never use MS70 or any dip on coins, it will do this and it's artificial toning. It's a chemical reaction. Never mess with copper
by Coin Mule
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:30 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PVC or other gunk inside a PCGS slab?

Hey thairunts, send it back to PCGS, have them conserve it, 100%^ with the Big D on this one. Don't try to do it yourself, on something like this if you mess with it you might mess it up and blow up the value. Once it is in a slab it is sacred for the original grading company, so they will fix the c...
by Coin Mule
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:51 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

C.O.N.E.C.A.

Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Now that I am a dues paying member of CONECA, I have been imbued with all of the ancient knowledge of Die Varieties to Errors, including the secret handshake. Yes from Ancient Babylon, to Egypt, and from the galaxy of Andromeda to the Outer Belt, my knowledge now surpasses all, bow...
by Coin Mule
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:16 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nickadate

Hey C, in the immortal words of the great philosopher and erudite Daniel Malone, and I quote, "don't clean circulated coins". Here is why, the moment you mess with a circulated coin you alter the surface. Now if we are talking about a coin from 1909, you can imagine all of the "patina...
by Coin Mule
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:41 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: lincoln memorial large cent

john james wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:18 pm Are you serious DAWG ? (-:
Hey J, punch in oversized Texas penny into the googlator, Earl knows, and what he don't know, ain't worth knowin pard 🐂🤘
by SensibleSal66
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:56 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is this "1943 copper penny" Fake(it probably is, but I have to ask)

I would have to say yes . The 1943 copper cent was produced at all three mints with about 20 being produced in Philadelphia - making it the more common of the three. Most experts believe that there are still a few yet to be discovered! Beware of fake counterfeits - as this is one of the most counter...
by Alanike@aol.com
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:38 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: #4 for the $20 LC set (gift from my woman) but she wanted to pick it out...

What a great year to pick...as a young kid collecting and learning I was always told to look up the world's,history,for that year.... 1848 was a hot one, rebellion, revolutions, Mex American fighting ends, gold rush starts... Very,nice choice of year in history, love the old coppers,for even still b...
by Paul
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:06 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Does NGC specify a variety if you didn't put it on the submission?

Welcome

Your submission must include the additional error attribution fee, (if they even recognize that error), and have the submission form checked indicating that you are submitting the coin for error attribution
by wilkinsp21
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:49 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is so cool!

First I wanna say sorry if you all don't like reading these stories, but I don't have anyone else to share with; and being so happy about them I wanna share! Second my Grandfather was my coin collector partner, he worked at Coke coca for 45 years as a delivery man, blue collar, hard worker I just go...
by CaptJohn2
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:32 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

King turns hippy - grows pigtail

Well but it is a funny die clash
0895c.jpg
0895a.jpg
0895b.jpg
0895d.jpg
by Earle42
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:26 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Major score for the $20 LC set... 1846 tall date!

Wow - very nice! I have deliberately not looked into collecting large cents b/c the fascinate me and I have too many other directions I am already going (and not just in coins!) I have two more books in the works for the following hobby of mine!
Sun-snowlit_WIndow_43311.jpg
by Coin Mule
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:53 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey Earl, again those colors are so cool. Did you know you can hit these with a crossman pump pellet gun at about 75 yards with iron sights, 😁😁. The dark colored one on the right side shelves, fifth shelf down looks like a front profile of Daniel. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 In fact they all look like DALEKS, your bree...
by Earle42
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:48 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

VAMs are something else I would likely find fun...but there are not enough years....
by MLC
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:46 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GTG GTV 1921 Morgan

Looks like a ms64
And it looks like it has a clashed 1 above the obverse not sure what vam it is called yet.
by Earle42
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:48 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SCAM Alert!!!

Muchas arigato mein ami
by ernests009
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:45 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Discussing discovering VAMs in the wild, I got 2 new morgans close by I could/ought to chase down VAMs on 1881s and a 1887p One of the most amazing aspects of adding another morgan to my set haha. google
by Earle42
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:07 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SCAM Alert!!!

My wife is a Spanish and English teacher. She also, quite a few times, has proven what I have found on grammar websites to be false...I call her an English encyclopedia. It came in very hand for me when authoring a book! German? I just play with it...don't speak it really. I grew up with all my budd...
by Earle42
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:56 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tonight I aquired One of my "Dream" coins!

Sorry Mr. Weasel...but as a dedicated forum friend, I just cannot allow a coin officially designated as damaged to plague your collection. Therefore I will offer to take it off of your hands free of charge. Just ship it to me and I will make sure this coin is something you will never have to set eye...
by SensibleSal66
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:27 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Let's see your $50 "steals"

Great Coin ! I haven't purchased anything since Christmas . Here it is :
by monsterbug1
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:48 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Let's see your $50 "steals"

$200 in silver for $100
by Daniel
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:54 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1804 Indian Head Clam Pennies

You want to know the "truth"... they are damaged IHCs and I can even tell you how they got into their present state.. the coins were used in a fuse panel to replace a burned out fuse (something very commonly done back in the 50s) The corrosion and melted edges are a common result (and oft...
by Earle42
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:51 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: This months addition to the $20 Large Cent set. 1841

I think its all too easy when sitting with my coins to not appreciate the history in my hands. I wish this cent could tell stories you could share with us. Whose pocket was it in when news of the war was first heard? I have some glass insulators that i wish could talk. A couple of them were in use a...
by Earle42
Wed May 05, 2021 10:39 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New conservation project for the $20 large cent set...

Going to apply some o' that secret recipe weasel oil, eh? 😄

Looking forward to the pics 😊
by Gam3rBlake
Sat May 22, 2021 3:33 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New pickup from Heritage Auctions :)

So about 2 weeks ago Heritage Auctions had a HUGE selection of Ancient coins from all over the world and obviously I had to check it out. I was hoping to pickup a Roman gold aureus but sadly I was quickly outbid :(. But later in the auction I came across this MS Athenian Tetradrachm and managed to w...