Search found 64 matches

Return

by muswell65
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:10 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1922-D Lincoln, Weak Reverse Die Set 3?

Thanks, Daniel. A good learning experience for me.

Such a wealth of information here. Thanks for organizing and bringing this community together. My Dad would certainly have enjoyed this :)
by muswell65
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:00 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Germany: 1906-J 20 Mark Wilhelm II

In addition to my Dad's US coin collection, I've recently come into possession of another collection which contains a lot of German coins. Here's an example from the collection: 20210227_103706-crop-obverse.jpg 20210227_103837-crop-reverse.jpg Any suggestions for resources on German coins? Thank You!
by muswell65
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:28 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1932-D - Washington Bic'd

Found this in one of many tubes of Washington quarters from my Dad's collection:

1932-d-crop-obverse.jpg
1932-d-crop-reverse.jpg

President Washington doesn't look quite right without hair :(

But seriously, this looks like it might not even grade AG3. Is there any value remaining?
by muswell65
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:45 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1932-D - Washington Bic'd

Thx, Daniel. I'll work on that first before posting. I understand everyone here has plenty to do without answering basic questions. I'm "cutting in line" a bit by consulting the experts, but I already recognize how knowledgeable these members are. Hope to get there over time ;) Best, Jeff
by muswell65
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:01 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: coin(s)

P.S. Earle42 has also been very engaging in my 8 days since joining :) All very patient and willing give good direction. It's a very active community, so use it as a resource! I assume you've found Daniel's YouTube channel. Sooo much content. I've found a lot of my questions already answered in one ...
by muswell65
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:28 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1888-S Morgan - Cleaned?

Thanks, Earle! Relieved you didn't take the time to link it, because I've already watched it ;) Just trying to apply what I've observed watching videos to a coin I actually have in-hand. For some reason, it just seems different. Thanks for taking the time to respond, and for being so active on this ...
by muswell65
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:14 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1830 religious catholic pendant.

Anything on the reverse?
by muswell65
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:11 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: hi there

Welcome, BB!
by muswell65
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:28 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Green patina on Indian Head and Lincolns

Welcome, PR3 - you've come to the right place!

That's a beautiful coin - details-wise. From my limited experience, you'll likely get a Questionable Color designation from the grading services. Those with much more knowledge and experience will give you more constructive feedback...
by muswell65
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:56 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Green patina on Indian Head and Lincolns

Such a shame :( An otherwise great looking coin!
by muswell65
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:39 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hi ! New Member

Welcome, Mark! You've come to the right place :)
by muswell65
Tue May 18, 2021 8:46 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Not coin related but forum related...

As MLC said, it changes based on your post count. I believe first change level is 50, then 100. Not sure after that. Just keep posting, and you'll find out ;)
by muswell65
Mon May 24, 2021 7:49 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unknown chinese cash coin.

I poked around and bit and came up with this: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces28094.html I believe that's about as close as your going to get for dating this vintage Chinese cash coin. My understanding is that these are only identified by the the emperor of the period, which in this case is t...
by muswell65
Tue May 25, 2021 2:55 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1878 cc morgan grade

VF Details - Cleaned
by muswell65
Tue May 25, 2021 8:31 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1943 Steel cent with two gouges in the reverse

Agree with Paul.

Looking through the fuzz, if the gouges you're referring to are above and below the left wheat stalk, I believe I see them. But there's not enough detail in the picture. It's an otherwise great looking coin!
by muswell65
Thu May 27, 2021 8:56 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1851 Large Cent.. Beautiful conservation with VerdiCare

Looks great, Weasel, especially the observe! What's the back-story on the coin? Why was the observe so much worse than the reverse? Just curious...
by muswell65
Fri May 28, 2021 3:35 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Scotch Tape

It seems you were successful in achieving some improvement. Unfortunately, you may be limited now, because the remaining difference could be due to natural toning of the "untaped" portion as compared to the "taped" portion...
by muswell65
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:27 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is this 1853 large cent worth sending off for grading?

Beautiful coin! Enjoy it, graded or not ;)
by muswell65
Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:29 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Odd doubling on a shield nickel

Thanks for introducing Longacre Doubling. Hadn't heard of it before. Read a few articles - interesting history! Learned something new today :)
by muswell65
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:58 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1891 S Morgan Silver Dollar Do you agree with MS?

Hi Steve - I see you just recently joined - welcome. I'm not far behind you... I've learned so much from Daniel and the other experts that are available on this site. There is so much sharing of information here - it is hard to believe at times... When I see a post like yours, I hesitate to scroll d...
by muswell65
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:21 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1897 Morgan Planchet Flaw?

OK - as if I wasn't already impressed by this site and its members, but the Funkmeister's reference to VAM 6A got me to engage in a closer review, and he's right! Excuse my textual expletive - but W**? How do you guys come up with this stuff off of my crappy photos? I don't believe the point of my o...
by muswell65
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:36 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why does my coin look like this?

Whoops - sorry. The coin I referenced earlier wasn't the same coin, since mine was a half cent, while yours is one. Jumped the gun a bit there. But my comment is the same regarding the condition/coloring :)
by muswell65
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:39 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Submitted for grading with Vam 1a

Based on the condition of the coin in the slab, that seems to be an appropriate grade. As to how to handle a case where you believe it's not the coin you submitted, there are many here much more qualified to answer that question than I...
by muswell65
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:56 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1943 Lincoln penny

Welcome, Tad! As recommended by Sal, pictures - always. In this case, pictures of the coin AND one of the weight of this same coin on a scale! Everyone here would applaud this find of yours - if real! There are seasoned professionals here (not me), and they will give you honest feedback on your coin...
by muswell65
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:32 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1959 D Lincoln Penny

I agree with Sal. I'm still relatively new to this due to an inherited collection from my Dad, and I've come across beautiful coins that seemed worthy of grading. However, after some very sound advice from this forum and its members, I've overcome this temptation and review each one more objectively...
by muswell65
Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:01 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1955 DDO Fake?

See if this article can help you:

http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/1955/55counter.html

We're at a bit of a disadvantage here with just pictures. That's always the challenge...
by muswell65
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:45 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1971 S Non-proof dime

You're correct Earle I am just not thinking and not sure why I got this all confused here. Thanks! What??? YOU are a human being also??? And here I had you on a pedestal above the unquestionably-above-us-peons-never-wrong-and-ultra-correct-at-all-times-b/c-the-slab's-label-says-says-so group of &qu...
by muswell65
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:42 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Whats these fine coin professionals think

Not a math teacher, but an engineer who loves math :)

Earle's math test annotated in subscript with the radix (base) for each number in the equation:

Earles_Math_Test.JPG

Ya gotta love math teachers (full disclosure - my wife is a math teacher!)...

Best,
Jeff
by muswell65
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:28 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2003 penny DD O/R

Is there a particular DD O/R that you believe this might be? Have you checked the catalog of those already known at:

http://www.varietyvista.com/01c%20LC%20 ... stings.htm

That's a good place to start. Good luck!
by muswell65
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:19 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1969 s penny contact damage??

Mdang - I'm also relatively new to this forum! You've come to the right place. Early on, I was given all the same advice you're getting, so just take it in, and enjoy the opportunities to learn that you will be given. There are very knowledgeable and straight-shooting people here... Some of the best...
by muswell65
Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:34 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1940-S 5¢: "Delam" or "Struck Through"

My chips are also on "strike through" due to loss of details caused by the interfering material filling the die cavity instead of the metal. This is an interesting topic to me! Thanks for posting, Earle! I like the "learning opportunity" approach! You must have been a teacher ;) ...
by muswell65
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:40 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So when is a 22-D considered "Weak"?

Have you seen this resource: http://www.lincolncentresource.com/1922Ddievarieties.html There are countless other resources on this topic. The highly sought after one is die pair #2, which I don't believe you have. Check the markers for the others and see what you might have! Good luck, Funkmeister! ...
by muswell65
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:35 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Book 'em Danno - A Hawaii Five-O Liberty Nickel?

Cracking me up again, Earle! One of my favorite cop shows as a kid, right up there with Mannix! And now I can't get the theme song out of my head - thanks!

@Funkmeister - you come up with the most interesting posts :)

Best,
Jeff
by muswell65
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:32 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1867 indian cent

You beat me to it, Funkmeister :) I was preparing basically the same response as yours, including the PCGS shots. That bumpy field in front of the face can be seen in the PCGS images.

@mikev50 - nice coin! What's its story?
by muswell65
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:14 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Inherited coins

Stand-up offer from the man who runs this site. I'd take him up on it...