Search found 25 matches

Return

by minddyy
Sun May 09, 2021 12:47 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cold hard truth

It is beginning to occur to me the more I learn that there is a cold hard truth to coin collecting. When i hunt rolls I only Keep what looks very good and unscratched I get exited when i find older coins that look like they are in good shape. So, now that I'm here in a forum learning the finer detai...
by SensibleSal66
Sun May 09, 2021 1:35 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cold hard truth

Don't get so hard on yourself . It takes years sometimes for you can get the whole concept of coin collecting and examining . I've been Error coin collecting for about 10 years and have questions sometimes everyday / sometimes learning something NEW . It will come as you watch, read and learn over t...
by DSCoins
Sun May 09, 2021 1:03 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another thing you need to keep in mind. What do you see with a 10X loop? Under a USB microscope any coin will look a lot worse than it really is. A lot of people need to step away from the USB Microscopes until they learn what can and can't happen to a coin during the minting process.
by Earle42
Sun May 09, 2021 3:06 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hang in there! All of the above is great advice we all went through for our love of the hunt! Coin collecting varieties takes training our thinking towards the details of what actual errors look like. Knowing HOW they happen is a great way to start since the background info aids in analyzing actual ...
by Daniel
Sun May 09, 2021 7:37 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, because you're learning the truth and the truth usually hurt when you're emotionally attached to something that doesn't meet your expectations.
by Earle42
Sun May 09, 2021 11:11 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

...and we all went though it :) Hang in there...keep working at it...and when you find that first gem it's all worth it. I remember being almost giddy when I found my first DDO in the wild. It was a 1974-D Kennedy half. I about fell out of my chair! And after that experience it seemed easier to reco...
by DSCoins
Sat May 15, 2021 5:18 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1964 D Dime- please look at the mint mark.

As Paul has always stated it is hard to tell if it is a RPM through photos. Given that, I do not see a D/D. As far as a DDO, no it is a Doubled Die
by Paul
Sun May 16, 2021 10:53 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Your pictures quite blurry....... but it does not appear to be a RPM.....? What might help you the most, instead of going to a local dealer, is to spend some time scouring the Internet looking at examples of questions you have. Keep in mind that "Everything on the Internet Is True" , kidd...
by Paul
Mon May 17, 2021 1:22 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I just got back in, and really didn't have a chance to look around much...... but wanted to get back to you as soon as I could I used the term "Die Cavity Wear"....... in the sense that, being an old timer, you do not see this on any of the other devices Of course I would need to see it &...
by DSCoins
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:53 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1944 Wheat Penny Strike Through Find "Really Cool Find" Please look.

It is not a strike through, I also do not think it a clashed die as it will not line up correctly. I may be wrong, but I think it was made Post Mint (Damage).
by Paul
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:12 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is considered post mint damage.....

...... this coin was sandwiched between 2 other cents, which, in turn, left the impression of the other coins on this coin
by Earle42
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:38 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The backwards and indented BER are clues showing to this being impressed into it from another cent post mint.
by Earle42
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:00 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019 River of no Return "Erie cool story" probably just grease in the die

Forgive me if the following seems picky...but I am from the Erie, PA area. Erie is not quite bad enough of a city to use its spelling for the word "eerie..." but close "Plandemic" is the more reasonable spelling though in this case 😄 Anyone else note how the installed regime keep...
by Earle42
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:39 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019 River of no Return "Erie cool story" probably just grease in the die

Just remember Erie can easily (and regularly does) have a 6 month winter with snow on the ground (specifically in outlying areas where the high pressure over the lake is not present). People don't typically need or use chains on their tires b/c they are just used to putting up with it and are pretty...
by Paul
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:56 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1968-D Cent - A little help - Attached links to sites I researched

You need to search across all of them, and pick the cheapest
by Earle42
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:10 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Help identifying a coin.

Its either a Chinese coin or a Chinese coin replica. There is a collector on coincommunity.com who knows these very well and could likely ID it right away.
by Paul
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:47 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Help identifying a coin.

Try using "Google Glass"
by Paul
Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:28 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1945 D Mercury Dime help

Strike Doubling
by DSCoins
Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:29 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Paul wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:28 pm Strike Doubling
I agree
by Earle42
Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:43 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ditto...just MD - a good example of it though to keep handy as a reference.
by Daniel
Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:44 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I agree with them in SD