Search found 137 matches

Return

by Matthudson
Thu May 27, 2021 9:38 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bought a Bust Half!! 1832 sm. letters

Thank you for that contemplation. If the sun should ever come out again, I'll get some better snaps of it outdoors. I've only seen pictures of album coins. Hoping this is one such specimen. I paid $149.00 for it. And, as a man of simple pleasures, it's the best one I've owned thus far.
by Matthudson
Thu May 27, 2021 10:50 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bought a Bust Half!! 1832 sm. letters

... and I'm a fan of bifocals. My diminished eye sight has greatly enhanced the appeal of my collection over the years!
by Matthudson
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:11 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1849 Large Cent - ooh! so close to the $20 club!

This time, I'd say I got it right:

$24.00!!
S1900150.JPG
S1900152.JPG
I love to hear someone call it an AU, but, alas! That remains my wish.
by Matthudson
Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:59 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My very unique type set!

So, when my great-aunt passed around 2004, I saved this really sweet leather-bound jewelry box she had. I got to tinkering and figured out a placement for air-tite holders that would fit perfectly. Thus: (The dupe Lincoln in the flat compartment is a steel cent. The Jefferson is a war nickel. I don'...
by Matthudson
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:59 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Catch 'o the day - 20 cent "Fine"

Fine?

Fine!

Sold!

Perhaps the most anti-climactic spread in all of numismatia F12- $120 vs. XF40 - $165. Dinner's on me tonight, I guess!

S1900210.JPG
S1900211.JPG
S1900215.JPG
by Matthudson
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:35 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Circulation find!

"They don't make 'em anymore!' Those words created a monster back in 1971, when I was 7 or 8 years old. I was showing a pal the back of a penny that had wheat stalks, instead of some building. In fact, at the time, about half of the cents in circulation did. I remember finding Lincolns all the ...
by Matthudson
Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:09 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'd like a turn at the 1974-* Lincoln cent game, please

One of the "free 9" coins extracted from a box, when I discovered that one of the cents in the roll was a rare "Roosevelt dime struck on a dime planchet" error! 1974-blob. I was happy just to have an "S" mint for a change. After reading the other posts here, I'm curious...
by Matthudson
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:28 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I'd like a turn at the 1974-* Lincoln cent game, please

Earle42 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:18 pm I know exactly what that graphic you posted was from and could hear the song in my head that went with it
My PEOPLE have returned! I have a very playful nature, and not everyone gets that. But I get that you get that I get that.

Thanks!
by Matthudson
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:07 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1837 half dime. Damaged? Bent/repaired? Ex jewelry?

Nice obverse, some peril on the reverse with the denomination. If the coin was bent and then straightened, I can't see it when held flat. Was it a cuff link soldered to a post at one time? Small date!
S1920089.JPG
S1920107.JPG
S1920113.JPG
by Matthudson
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:52 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: a daniel no no

Just missed a Roman numerals 2021 "Broken Sword" peace dollar on eBay. Sold for $799. (To symbolize the new era of peace, the original design had the eagle holding a broken sword - rejected, because it could be misconstrued as a symbol of weakness.) Darn! I WANTED it! Now, look! There I go...
by Matthudson
Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:55 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1865 Indian Head Cent - such a shame!

Straight from the mint to the ground for a hundred years! My dad told me he was with my grandfather when they found this coin-cidentally digging in the garden back when he was still in high school. (He graduated in 1956). It was so black you could hardly tell what it was. But, ah! Brasso! The sharpn...
by Matthudson
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:11 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The eBay jungle - Today: 1917 SLQ!

$34.98, after taxes and shipping! And she's a TYPE 2! You buy enough junk, you get real picky - really fast! I'm on my way! Just takes hours and hours of patience! I'm gonna call her VF30-35. If 3 people say 40 in person, she gets slabbed. Grime relented quite easily in acetone, does not have "...
by Matthudson
Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:51 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Very weird 1927-O Mercury Dime (lge mm variety)

So, my great grandma collected coins from circulation. Among the coins passed on to me was a mercury dime folder, about 85% complete! Yay! You need to understand at this point that I come from a long line of craftsmen, woodworkers mostly. We're also talking about an era where nothing was ever wasted...
by Matthudson
Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:18 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The eBay jungle - Today: 1917 SLQ!

Daniel wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:23 pm I agree with VF but not EF.
Thank you for the grading guide on Coin Help! Also a handy reference!
by Matthudson
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:21 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

20 cent NGC AU58

In response to Earle42's 1915 Walker, which made me green with envy: Many of you are starting to understand that I am a rather unconventional fellow with unconventional tastes. THIS is one of my all-time favorites. There is something about an AU58 with headlight luster that just gives me goose bumps...
by Matthudson
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:50 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bid Sniping on eBay

This guy gets pulled over for speeding: "I don't see why you stopped me. Everyone is going at least 20 mph over the speed limit!" The officer asks: "You ever been fishing?" - "Yes. Of course!" "Did you ever catch ALL the fish?" One the most maddening features...
by Matthudson
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:54 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 20 cent NGC AU58

Daniel wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:57 pmNice coin.
I'll stop by and show you in person. I'm tied up at the moment. But, you're a little less than an hour away. It's a very pleasant drive too. I've been out that way before. Nice day trip.
by Matthudson
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:26 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

eBay - going in for the kill! 1917 Ty1 SLQ

HOW TO eBAY: This seller has only 5 listings: Novelty collections from the days of yore. I've seen these padded folders so many times: "The "No Motto" collection", "5 Decades of Lincoln Cents", "US Nickels of the 20th Century". Everyman collections advertised ...
by Matthudson
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:17 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: eBay - going in for the kill! 1917 Ty1 SLQ

Not today! not today.JPG Whereby that $43.22 plus $3.00 shipping plus 6% sales tax would total $48.99. i.e. already at the wholesale price of the quarter. Then I would have to find not only a buyer for it, but also the remaining coins. This, at a price that would also cover my eBay fees, if I sold i...
by Matthudson
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:54 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: eBay - going in for the kill! 1917 Ty1 SLQ

So, did I cry over it and melt away with my tail between my legs? No. I don't have a tail, and these days, there's no room between my thighs. I just kept playing. Won THIS at 50% of WHOLESALE!! ($42 vs $85, IF I can market it as an F15. Not a stretch, I think.) From a "Doll Attic"! I'm tel...
by Matthudson
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:39 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: My type set took a big step this month..

Great find! The rim damage doesn't bother me. Others, I find, are more picky. Great coin for the price!

Oh, and "Nya-Nya-Nya!"

1822 lge cent.jpg
by Matthudson
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:17 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why does my coin look like this?

The date is SUPER common. Easy to find in very pleasing condition. The very top of the ear where it meets the hairline is the spot that defines the more desirable EF-AU grades. You should be able to find one with a little luck in the $35 - $50 range. And you'll find more pleasure in owning one of th...
by Matthudson
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:46 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My type set is complete! 1915-s Pan-Pac Half!

I designed a type set to fit in an old jewelry box my great aunt had: 1.JPG No matter how I tried, I still kept coming up with an extra slot for a half-dollar sized coin. It had to fit in the early 20th century era and not duplicate anything already present. Then, I thought: Why not a commem? One th...
by Matthudson
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:19 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HR 1923 Has Authorised The US Mint To Mint Fractional Bullion In The Form Of Quarter & Half Dollars

This isn't FAIR to married women! [chuckles with sinister self-satisfaction over his own stupid joke]. Also, let's start with a better rendition of Susan B. Anthony - that last attempt was HARSH! Can't WAIT for the Ruth Bader Ginsburg quarter! I admired her so! Plus, WHEN are they going to get to th...
by Matthudson
Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:52 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Surviving the eBay jungle - 1907-D Barber dime.

Wow! I'm truly flattered and honored to make a real contribution, beyond my wickedly delightful humor! Plus! If you buy something like this where the seller doesn't accept returns, fear not. eBay will make them take it back and make them PAY for your return shipping! I have found time and time again...
by Matthudson
Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:41 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1987 Silver Eagle - I'm officially a Tonie now!

So, at the coin club auction yesterday evening, the usual pablum offerings. I found myself bidding on a 1956-D Washington quarter out of sheer boredom. The poor guy across from me was starting to bead with sweat on his forehead (already at the Roosevelt dimes, when I bid against him on the 1946-D. D...
by Matthudson
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:21 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Found another wheat penny for my Whitman folder!!

Why is it a counterfeit? In person, you can tell that it's been cast, and not struck. But, moreover, because that's what I ordered off the internet. The cartwheel luster with the VF/XF features is also a tip-off. Doesn't match. The color is surprisingly good. I'm guessing they did use 100% copper, ...
by Matthudson
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:51 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Seated 20c - Weak strike obverse and AU reverse?

I am not entirely clear on how the process is done, but many coins from this era were smoothed, either by buffing, rubbing excessively with the thumb, or in some cases, even using wax to fill in dings and scratches. You can often find slabbed coins with a details grade stating "smoothed surface...
by Matthudson
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:19 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

eBay LOTS, 1854 large cent

I won 3 auctions from this one guy on eBay. A 4-coin lot, a 3-coin lot, and a single coin. (1847 EF - nice!) The poster's pics were 500 x 375 pixels. (Maybe he took them in the 1970s?) s-l500.jpg When they arrived, 5 of them were utter disasters [/u]! Like this one: S2060008.JPG When I contacted him...
by Matthudson
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:32 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: eBay LOTS, 1854 large cent

You betcha! I got that filter on "Seller accepts returns" always! Point being, you DON'T have to stand for garbage or being bullied by morons! And again, too many "not as described" ratings hurt the seller. Good! Jack-ass gets to pay $10.50 in return postage in addition to the mo...
by Matthudson
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:42 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS COIN

If you do not ask us specifically what you want to know, then we cannot answer you on our first try. "Good" and "worthy" mean a lot of things. Please let us know what specifically you are asking about. For example: It is not good and worthy to be called a banana b/c it has nothi...
by Matthudson
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:25 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1970-79 US Mint Proof Sets Honest Appraisal?

This dealer spent a lot of time explaining to me how the demand for coins by collectors is diminishing and that now is the time to sell since the coin market is going inevitably downward for the foreseeable future Sounds like he is making a blanket negative prognosis to get you to think your coins ...
by Matthudson
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:45 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Seated 20c - Weak strike obverse and AU reverse?

@Matthudson - Is there a similar company that you would recommend or be neutral about? I use eBay to track a raw coin's value. Since I only buy raw coins to fill a 7070 album, I buy from an LCS or show. I do best avoiding ALL of them! Ha! It's a tedious process, but I have a note pad with a string ...
by Matthudson
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:38 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: daniel carr share

Cool! But I wish it were on an OT trail half dollar.
by Matthudson
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:54 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Catch of the day! 1938-D Walker

Purchased this evening at our coin club meeting for $56.00!

S2070099.JPG
S2070102.JPG
S2070104.JPG
by Matthudson
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:44 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Catch of the day! 1938-D Walker

Nice coin! I've been thinking about buying a few walkers myself I wonder how hard it would be to put together a nice AU set? And Matt, I for 56.00 I think the word stole better suits the condition.😂 So that you can sleep at night without a guilty conscience, go ahead and send me this one and I will...
by Matthudson
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:55 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1830 Capped Bust Half Dollar, Type 1, Lettered Edge, "Small 0"

What you've got there appears to be an XF coin to me - or higher! I would be petrified of any attempts you may indulge with the level of inexperience you preface your questions with. You could accidentally knock of a considerable chunk of the value of what seems like a coin that's potentially worth ...
by Matthudson
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:15 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1830 Capped Bust Half Dollar, Type 1, Lettered Edge, "Small 0"

On a side note, I'm curious. I grew up in the 70s. I never encountered a Whitman Snap-Tite for older 32.5 mm bust halves. Looks like they must have made them at some point. I chuckle when I see folders for coin series 1793- HA!
by Matthudson
Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:33 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1946 Roosevelt Dime VF35 from PCGS Photograde site

Well, they searched high and low, and apparently, this is the only surviving specimen of any Roosevelt dime anywhere in VF35!

screenshot from the PCGS Photograde web page
https://www.pcgs.com/photograde#/Roosevelt/Grades

Screenshot (85).png
by Matthudson
Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:27 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1853 dime - to arrow, or not to arrow. That is the question

What stealth trickery is afoot here!

Did they scrape the arrows off this dime to make it more valuable? What cunning counterfeit! Undetectable!

I am perfectly fooled.

dime.jpg