Jump to topic

Re: New

Hi and welcome!
by Earle42
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:08 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1830 Capped Bust Half Dollar, Type 1, Lettered Edge, "Small 0"

Sorry I cannot help with the Overton variety....but what I can help with is below: Let me start at the bottom: 4. Based on the pictures, would it be worth using E-Z-est to 'clean' the coin? I know this is a contentious topic...so to be clear, I mean dip the coin in e-Z-est for a few seconds, use a r...
by Clint W
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:35 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

welcome! lots of smart people on here
by Paul
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:38 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The numerical Overton designation you are seeking, can only be assigned by "In Hand" inspection,… by an individual who has years of experience as an attributer.
by Daniel
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:38 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Welcome!
by Matthudson
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:55 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What you've got there appears to be an XF coin to me - or higher! I would be petrified of any attempts you may indulge with the level of inexperience you preface your questions with. You could accidentally knock of a considerable chunk of the value of what seems like a coin that's potentially worth ...
by Matthudson
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:15 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

On a side note, I'm curious. I grew up in the 70s. I never encountered a Whitman Snap-Tite for older 32.5 mm bust halves. Looks like they must have made them at some point. I chuckle when I see folders for coin series 1793- HA!
by SensibleSal66
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:26 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I agree with Matthudson . I don't know why you would want to clean a piece of history. I think whatever the issue is can be solved with the Acetone dip with the distilled water and that's it . The only coins that I ever messed with is one's that I "dug" while metal detecting and Copper onl...
by Daniel
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:26 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1943 Lincoln Cent (Wheat Reverse), Type 2, Steel - S

The coin has been repurposed so replated after mint and is damaged from that process.
by Earle42
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:45 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1943 Lincoln Cent (Wheat Reverse), Type 2, Steel - S

Hard to tell form the pictures, but you may have a plated 1943-S. Re-plating them was done frequently to make them shiny, and after mint of course, when companies would make promotional items such as this set: 8684919_1.jpg These were commonly given away for opening a bank account etc. All the coins...