Search found 36 matches

Return

by josephcolorado
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:10 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1956 Franklin PR67 - Where's My Cameo?

In all seriousness, if you have the dough to blow, just because you are curious, you could do that. It's your coin. There are more things to coin collecting than just making a profit from it. That's how I think about it. Best of luck.
by josephcolorado
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:55 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1970 S Cent

Sorry. I'm not sure what you mean. The photo is cropped.? More detail or resolution perhaps? Thanks.
by josephcolorado
Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:48 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: beautiful ender

It almost looks like it could have been broken out of a proof set.
by josephcolorado
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:42 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1879 S MS65 ANACS

Could I get some opinions on what I am seeing here, please? I don't really have any concerns about the reverse, but the obverse looks to have tiny scratches starting on the field under the chin, moving through the hair and then into the top right field. Neither the right or left fields, nor the reve...
by josephcolorado
Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:43 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

UNC Details - Hard Lesson Learned

I got it in my head to try my hand at buying some raw morgan dollars from sellers online, with the intention of having them graded. I learned the hard way, after spending a good amount of money on beautiful looking Morgans, of the somewhat not as common UNC Details Scratched. I hope sellers aren't t...
by josephcolorado
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:40 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Does Patina Affect Grade Negatively?

A modern clad business strike graded MS65 is actually pretty good. Even uncirculated, these coins are in rolls, bank bags, and get marked up pretty good, even before they go into circulation. Rarely, an MS66 and MS67 will show up. I, personally, have never seen anything higher than that. The only &q...
by josephcolorado
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:50 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is this Black mark on my 1879-S Morgan?

I literally handle Morgans with these marks weekly, graded and ungraded. I've examined them under the scope, tried to remove them in the past, so I knew it would not come off. It can't it's a planchet impurity. It is always going to look like this. I don't know why my answer was ignored here. Would...
by josephcolorado
Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:06 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E Bay

While generally buying slabbed coins will make sure you don't get a fake, the hobby existed for a very, very long time before people thought they needed someone to ID fakes for them. Today there likely are more raw fakes being sold than before, but unfortunately there are also fake slabs as well (n...
by josephcolorado
Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:32 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Should I resubmit or crossover?

There is absolutely no way to predict what the grades coming back on these coins would be. Please take the time to read the facts about these companies below. It's worth your time to read. Following is info concerning the actual nature of grading companies that can help people make better educated ...
by josephcolorado
Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:09 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Centennial dollar coin

It's actually a bicentennial coin. 200 years. You could get 3-5$, I would think. Depends on what someone is willing to pay. Those are cool coins. I agree on cool coins, but disagree on the $3-$5 price tag. You may disagree. Ebay sold items justifies the 3$ - $5 (plus about .79 cents for shipping) e...
by josephcolorado
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:10 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Should I resubmit or crossover?

But not everyone is asking all of the questions these well intentioned copy and paste articles are answering. Correct. Being a teacher all of my life, I found anticipating questions that would be spawned from a single answer could easily be taken care of by supplying the next logical answers ahead ...
by josephcolorado
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:29 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1892-S Morgan cleaned?

Think of it this way...no circulated coin with that wear would be that clean without being cleaned or polished.
by josephcolorado
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:42 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: check out beak

I like cherry picking coins I like that are already slabbed because someone else paid for em'.
by josephcolorado
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:40 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: check out beak

Only my opinion. Retail is probably around 35-45 bucks. A dealer would probably give no less than melt, so maybe around 20 bucks (goes up and down). Others chime in? Thanks.
by josephcolorado
Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:42 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Class 1 rotating hub double die

I was reading about doubled dies on Coneca, specifically about Class 1. How is this different from machine doubling? Is class 1 doubling a permanent twist in the die, or just a 1 off type of thing? Clarification would be helpful. Thanks.
by josephcolorado
Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:28 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1979 Susan B Anthony with wide rim

You are going to need to go back and read how to post coin images and questions on this forum. They don't play around with what is requested.
by josephcolorado
Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:07 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1985 Kennedy half dollar DDO?

Jweaver9188 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:43 am Thank you, learning new stuff everyday
Look how thin the top cross of the "T" is. Machine doubling shaved away the metal. A DDO doesn't do this.
by josephcolorado
Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:16 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Seeking Help Grading 1988 1/4oz Eagle

We don't grade coins for mint state as in MS65 or MS66 in this forum, you must send it off to get a grade. There's no shortcuts in grading coins, no one can tell you what PCGS would do hence the dealers comments you quoted. I love how it's most often the seller, telling the buyer it will grade high...
by josephcolorado
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:33 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1880 Morgan Dollar - What does the word "California" on this PCGS holder mean?

Nope. But that is a seriously sweet coin. Looks like an overstrike.
by josephcolorado
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:04 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021-W Silver Eagle--mint error?

I'm no expert, but that is just a bullion coin, Albeit an American Eagle "minted as a U.S. dollar". Lots of coins come out looking this way. The die is just offset from the planchet a bit. Unless it's like super super major (half moon type of stuff), I don't think this is very unique. Amer...
by josephcolorado
Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:48 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1884 O Morgan graded by NGC

Hey Vic, that is a "Private Label". This is nothing but a marketing ploy, Brilliant Uncirculated means nothing, other than it is UNC, and shiny and adds no value to the coin. Littleton makes an agreement with NGC to slab some UNC shiny coins, and then they sell them like the slab means so...
by josephcolorado
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:15 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1972 Half Dollar problem with the striking

Yes. That is the error known as "Someoneious Smasheous" in the Latin. Or in the Greek "Crusheth contortious". All kidding aside, this is post mint damage, IMO. There are die experts on here that might know more about this type of error than I do. :-)
by josephcolorado
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:39 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1921 Morgan dollar***just wanted to know if I should have this authinicated,or it's not worth it.Also have another 1

Hello! I Personally would not. Why? The value of this coin is far less the grading fees. The word is spelled "Authenticated" . :shhh: "Authinicated" is when you stick a coin on the railroad tracks. I would advise against this or else you will have nothing but "melt" va...
by josephcolorado
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:49 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Will a "Preserved" coin get a straight grade.

Just a fun fact. I sent a number of silver coins out for grading, seems like last year. Oh, it was last year. Anyhow, I "preserved" them using the Daniel method, step by step from one of his videos. I am happy to report they all came back with a straight grade. More than 5 but less than 10...
by josephcolorado
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:59 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PPE Gloves for Acetone

I don't know if anyone has previously posted about this or not, but acetone and nitrile gloves do not play well together. You will have finger-tip-less gloves in seconds.
by josephcolorado
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:17 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New find in Colorado - help me identify this figure

Cool find! I believe it is a dancing lady off a globe table lamp. Here is one listed on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/265089456359?mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336443428&toolid=10001&customid=dms_76514&mkevt=1&mkcid=1 Oh my goodness. How hilarious. How on earth (no pun inten...
by josephcolorado
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:09 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1879 Morgan Dollar

JTCC wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:55 pm Do NOT send in for grading, not worth the cost for it.
Are you serious? I would beg to differ. That's a sweet coin.
by josephcolorado
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:15 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Intresting find 2005 quarter

This is what is known as the "It's getting hot in here" error, popular in late 2000's night clubs. "What a world. What a world".
by josephcolorado
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:35 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unusual penny 193?

Paul wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:02 am Welcome

Damage
You are not adhering to the new policy, like SensibleSal is. Earle sent an email last night.
by josephcolorado
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:38 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Coin Microscope

When someone is starting out in the hobby, we do not recommend using a microscope. The following graphic explains it all :D Micro_Fooled_Framed.png So many people come here with "rare errors" they find (which are not errors) and we have to disappoint them that they have nothing. In order ...
by josephcolorado
Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:18 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: First Morgan

I already have Morgan Dollar taste on an Eisenhower Dollar budget You can still collect Morgan's at flea markets and such. Maybe stick with high AU. Unless it's the Holy Grail, you shouldn't be spending more than 50$ a coin. Point is, you can still collect them at a lower price point. Nice first Mo...
by josephcolorado
Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:12 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: First Morgan

Saw this Morgan at a yard sale and thought it looked nice for the price. Curious about what looks like a die crack, and possible cud on the reverse near the words United and DOLLAR. Oh, by the way. That is, in fact, a die crack on the reverse. And there's something going on on the obverse. To my kn...
by josephcolorado
Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:25 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Altered 1901 German 2 Mark.

You need better pictures. However, does it open?
by josephcolorado
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:31 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Altered 1901 German 2 Mark.

Ajz177 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:55 pm Thank you for the help. When do you think soneone would have done this?
I don't think there is really any way to say. In keeping with cultural relevance, I would guess very early 20th Century, well before WWI.