Search found 99 matches

Return

by Daniel
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:36 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How To Post Images, Questions & Make a Meaningful Title In This Community

When you're posting in this forum remember these things: Start your own topic, so please don't post your coin or question in another person's topic. Remove your coin from the holder. Post ONLY one coin per topic, we don't need comparison images. Crop your image and take as clear of an image as poss...
by Clint W
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:24 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Introduction

Welcome Joseph! I am in Colorado as well, live in Falcon
by Paul
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:46 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Welcome
by Earle42
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:13 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Welcome! Since you mentioned it, the market had given the masses a very mistaken mindset concerning grading companies and what they are all about. The following is worth your time to read, and I have had a lot of good feedback from people concerning this info - especially beginners. Thinking of Slab...
by Paul
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:04 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1880 S Morgan Dollar - doubling on the bottom of date

Can I see images of the full obverse and reverse, … & one of the Mintmark please?
by Paul
Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:09 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Your coin looks original......

Info for your coin: LINK
by Paul
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:22 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Using your picture for a judgment, I mean that it has not been cleaned
by Daniel
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:12 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Welcome!
by Daniel
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:14 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nice coin but not a doubled die, if you look closely under the digits, in the area in question, you will see cold flow lines. It's a form of die deterioration.
by Daniel
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:45 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Individual Experiences with Crossover Grading

I don't do it enough and when I have they got the same grade and one ANACS was down-graded.
by thairunts
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:44 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Individual Experiences with Crossover Grading

Great question. I've often wondered the same thing. Does the original holder prejudice the result? "Aww.. we can't let ANACS look better than us.."
by Daniel
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:03 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1982 D Cent Small Date

The only rare 1982 D small date are the ones one a copper planchet and weigh 3.1 grams, otherwise they're extremely common coins.
'
by finalfantasy
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:07 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lincoln D 1971 ?

It looks like some sort of acidic chemical was dropped over the date corroding what was there that would say 1971. Looks like a school science project unless the big leagues of CoinHelp Community say otherwise (Daniel and Paul).
by Earle42
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:09 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sorry, I disagree. Note how the back of the coin corresponding to the funky area on the front is also messed up by having everything flattened? This pics seem to show this coin took some sort of a hit on the front. The corresponding area on the REV was flattened simultaneously. I think I could dupli...
by Paul
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:14 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Although these images are very nice, I don't believe it is possible to accurately determine/describe the anomaly on the obverse of the coin... With the image posted here The weakness in the letters on the upper portion on the reverse, are most likely due to the device depth on the adjacent side (st...
by Earle42
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:02 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Listen to Paul's opinion 😊
by SensibleSal66
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:03 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1969 D Lincoln Cent

It appears to be .
by Earle42
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:18 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The term "Floating Roof" is nothing more than a gimmicky name made up to try to get people to pay more for a face value coin. Coin dies are polished all the time to extend their life. The polishing removes some details. Whoever started the floating roof craze noticed that the side of the r...
by Paul
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:36 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I used to watch the sell for $70 all day long… On a very popular auction site!

Why?
Buyers are gullible when they are greedy!
by Daniel
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:55 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Floating roof is nothing. So don't look for those.

by SensibleSal66
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:09 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1896 O Morgan Dollar

It look right to me anyways . I'm not sure about the toning . Maybe someone else can shed some light .
by Daniel
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:44 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1896 O Morgan Dollar

It looks okay at first glance but the coin has been cleaned and has retoned.
by SensibleSal66
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:04 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1970 S Cent

Looks fine to me . Please crop picture next time . I use a program called PhotoScape ( FREE DL ) , easy to use .
by SensibleSal66
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:55 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No it's not. This is cropped .
by JTCC
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:35 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Within specs from the mint.
by muswell65
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:34 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm still relatively new to collecting, and this site always presents great opportunities to learn something new, like about 1970-S Lincoln cents. I didn't know there was a variety: http://lincolncentresource.com/smalldates/1970Ssmalldate.html From this article, seems yours is a large date, and look...
by Earle42
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:18 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hand_Punched_MM.jpg 2021-11-10 11-16-04.jpg
by Daniel
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:07 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Removing PVC Damage

I use nitrile.
by Daniel
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:16 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1879 S MS65 ANACS

Those are roller marks and usually the strike from the dies would "smooth" them out, but sometimes they did not. The US Mint used rollers to reduce the planchet stock to the correct height and sometimes the rollers left marks on the blank (Type 1) planchet.
by Paul
Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:15 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1879 S MS65 ANACS

Daniel wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:16 pm Those are roller marks and usually the strike from the dies would "smooth" them out, but sometimes they did not. The US Mint used rollers to reduce the planchet stock to the correct height and sometimes the rollers left marks on the blank (Type 1) planchet.
I agree
by Coin Mule
Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:55 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1897 S Morgan Raw UNC

Hey Joe, "where you goin with that gun in your hand", no that's not it, ohhh yeah the Morgan. It's not just about tick marks, bag marks, chatter, and hairlines. You have to add, luster/cartwheel effect, frostiness (which is related to Luster), eye appeal (the mysterious quality that is kno...
by Daniel
Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:22 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

AU58 but those marks on the check could net an AU details scraped. It's still a nice coin.
by Earle42
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:25 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And another very important thing to remember: grading companies base nothing they do on a verifiable science. Yet collectors (human nature) in general WANT a professional level of reliability. Since the method used by these companies, subjectivity, cannot possibly reach levels of accuracy (repeatabl...
by Daniel
Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:43 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

UNC is uncirculated, meaning it's not almost uncirculated and never worn. Everyone posting images here is confusing.
by SensibleSal66
Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:34 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UNC Details - Hard Lesson Learned

I rarely own or buy anything "raw". Then again, there are fake or less graded coins in Third Party holders. IMHO. You just have to do your research.
by Daniel
Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:13 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UNC Details - Hard Lesson Learned

Some dealers who don't agree with the grade crack them out then sell them.
by Daniel
Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:37 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1883 O MS 64 Morgan Dollar - Die Crack

All Morgan Dollars are VAMs, VAMs ID the exact die (obverse and reverse) of each Morgan dollar and most VAMs do not add value to a coin since they're so common. What you want is a Hot 100, Hot 50 or a VAM with a nickname like Spitting Eagle or something to that affect. Most VAMs would not get an att...
by Algots
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:19 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1883 O MS 64 Morgan Dollar - Die Crack

Go to VAMWorld, look up morgan dollars, look up the date and mint, and compare and try to match your coin to the vams already known for that date.