Is this coin gradable or has it been cleaned/polished?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is this coin gradable or has it been cleaned/polished?

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

If they're honest and knowledgeable, some dealers are not and you don't have to be a coin expert to be a dealer.

RJCoins
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by RJCoins »

Hi Daniel - Just saw your new video and, as always, it offered great info. However, if someone is not certain about something, then they should at least qualify their remarks. A number of online dealers say “appears” uncirculated or even do offer their opinion but say “...but you judge for yourself and bid accordingly”.

When a dealer puts in bold capital letters “BU” and identifies the item as uncirculated with no qualifications, then they better be certain about it whether the dealer is experienced or not. Thankfully, I didn’t base my offer on this claim. I wish more dealers were like you.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Earle42 »

We all do!
Fact Check the grading Companies:
Fact checking grading company shortcomings on NO FG halves:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

They should know but they're not all honest, that is the problem.

jonmaxwell
Coining Around

#15 Unread post by jonmaxwell »

Just my 2 cents worth, first thing you do when you buy a coin in a flip is to take it out of the flip I use cotton gloves on all my silvers, turn the coin and look at its side does it look blueish? if so then its been cleaned by like a dermal, if it looks white as it should then you have to look at something else, hold the coin up in a good light and turn it, does it cartwheel? the reflection lines should be thin and be constant around the coin. here are 2 Morgan's the one on the left was hit by something like e-z-est or MS 70 the one on the right has not been cleaned with anything. The one thing I have done during the learning process is to buy some silver coins cheap and clean them, I have used MS 70 e-z-est and coinserve just so I know what to really look for when i want to know if a coin has been cleaned, and invest in a coin microscope i got mine for 68 bucks and use topview software with it.
IMG_20210622_012528.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by Daniel »

The coin on bottom has more reflective fields and reflects more light, it could have been dipped but this doesn't mean it was. ezest will not harm UNC coins, but if the coin was cleaned in the past and then dipped in ezest or if the coin is circulated, then it will look cleaned. I've used ezest for 20 years, among many other coins cleaners and dips on the market.