Another 1913 T1 Buffalo Nickel, another questionable S mint mark

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

Another 1913 T1 Buffalo Nickel, another questionable S mint mark

#1 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

Same Story, ,more or less. I pulled this 1913 T1 out of a bulk bin for a buck. It appears to be in better than average condition (VF-XF). After further inspection, it also appears that it may have an "S" mint mark, but I am unsure, and would like verification by those who are more knowledgeable than me.
Attachments
S20210803_0002.jpg
S20210803_0003.jpg
S20210803_0004.jpg
S20210803_0005.jpg
S20210803_0006.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Another 1913 T1 Buffalo Nickel, another questionable S mint mark

#2 Unread post by Paul »

I think you're wishing to hard.........JMO
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

Paul wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:39 pm I think you're wishing to hard.........JMO
I may be, but I may not be

In case you do not remember, the last one of these questionable nickels turned out to have a "S" mint mark

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Is this the second time this has been posted? If so, please do not do that. I am seeing double post everyday.

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

Daniel wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:28 pm Is this the second time this has been posted? If so, please do not do that. I am seeing double post everyday.
no; same issue, 2 different coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

While I have this forum for help, there's some coins that can't be solved using this forum and images. I afraid your coin is one of them.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

Not seeing anything. Compare what you think you are seeing with pictures on PCGS of Type I S buffalos to even see if what you think you see might be in the proper position/size/font of known mint marks for that year. This one is even more difficult than the other. I agree with Daniel, not everything will be able to be told posting to a forum.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

Earle42 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:54 pm Not seeing anything. Compare what you think you are seeing with pictures on PCGS of Type I S buffalos to even see if what you think you see might be in the proper position/size/font of known mint marks for that year. This one is even more difficult than the other. I agree with Daniel, not everything will be able to be told posting to a forum.
fair enough, fair enough

Whatever I am seeing is under the C in Cents, especially in the 2nd and third images

you can also faintly see it in the last image

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

Earle42 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:54 pm Not seeing anything. Compare what you think you are seeing with pictures on PCGS of Type I S buffalos to even see if what you think you see might be in the proper position/size/font of known mint marks for that year. This one is even more difficult than the other. I agree with Daniel, not everything will be able to be told posting to a forum.
I edited some images to highlight what I am seeing; reference the highlighted area with the original images
Attachments
S20210803_0006.jpg
S20210803_0004.jpg

silverbul

#10 Unread post by silverbul »

i don't see it on this one.

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

even more pictures

What I believe to be the "S" is very dark, and is under the C in cents
Attachments
S20210804_0001.jpg
S20210804_0002.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Earle42 »

Did you check the position with the PCGS list of slabbed 1913 -S type Is?
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#13 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

positioning seems slightly farther to the right than usual, but not excessively or unreasonably so. It is hard to accurately judge the vertical position of the mint mark due to the wear near the edge of the coin on circulated examples

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Earle42 »

Even a slight misalignment from known positions is enough to indicate its not a mint mark. There are some known and very good fakes of 1909 VDB cents and 1914-D cents where mint mark positioning is slightly off. one of the key factors for identifying the fakes is this off positioning.

Also don't forget to check the size of the mint mark. Two S mint marks styles were used for Buffalos. The first was small. Starting in 1918 a larger one was used.

Look at the Buffalo e-book on varietyvista.com. You will find a section of mint mark styles showing pictures of the size and years each mint mark style was used.

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#15 Unread post by DSCoins »

Paul wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:39 pm I think you're wishing to hard.........JMO
I think I am going to agree with Paul. There is no there, there.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#16 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

Earle42 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:13 am Even a slight misalignment from known positions is enough to indicate its not a mint mark. There are some known and very good fakes of 1909 VDB cents and 1914-D cents where mint mark positioning is slightly off. one of the key factors for identifying the fakes is this off positioning.

Also don't forget to check the size of the mint mark. Two S mint marks styles were used for Buffalos. The first was small. Starting in 1918 a larger one was used.

Look at the Buffalo e-book on varietyvista.com. You will find a section of mint mark styles showing pictures of the size and years each mint mark style was used.
might I ask if you can see whatsoever what I am seeing with the use of the edited images that highlight what I believe to be the remnants of the S mint mark

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Earle42 »

Please realize what I am typing is NOT sarcastic or demeaning in any way. I know intensions are not possible to be seen in typing. So I want to be up front and make sure you are aware of this. 😊

I will tell you what I can see and type those things as I see them.

In the different pictures I can make out multiple things underneath multiple letters. The longer I look, the more I can see them make shapes. In the darker pic I can make out what my eyes want to see (pareidolia) as a tiny D under the letter V. I the lighter pic the D turns into an 8.

I can see an alligator head looking to the right under the FI in both pictures.

In the darker picture I can see a faint ampersand under and between the E&C, but in the lighter picture, the ampersand is a faint letter O (New Orleans mint😊).

In the darker picture a tiny, underscored zero attached right up against the C's bottom (a little to the left and bottom of the C).
In both pictures I see a letter J underneath the E (in CENTS).

Looking back at the darker picture, I just saw an S centered between the V and E in FIVE (way too far left and way too small for a mint mark).

Inside the letter C - towards its top, in the light picture I can make out a star.

When I zoom in on the picture, my alligator and there is a tiny white mitten at the tip of the rightmost finger. Spread out under the letters "VE CE," I can see the letters BCEW.

The more I look, the more I "see."

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#18 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

fair enough, fair enough. I am going to make 1 last attempt to show what I am seeing, but I am starting to wonder myself if I am a victim of Pareidolia

at this point, I'm about ready to just nic-a-date it and know for sure

an image is attached highlighting to the best of my ability what I am seeing
Attachments
S20210804_0001.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by Earle42 »

I am going to make 1 last attempt to show what I am seeing, but I am starting to wonder myself if I am a victim of Pareidolia
Think about this...I could highlight everything I was seeing also. Besides the positioning and size being all wrong of what you have highlighted anyway.

When a person has to go through this much, its definitely not worth the time and almost assuredly is nothing. :(

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Unread post by Daniel »

Yeah, these posts are getting to be too much and not what this forum is for, we helped and now it's time to submit for authentication if you don't agree with our advice.

Topics are not locked.