Scotch Tape

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Brian Hagler
Coinasieur

Scotch Tape

#1 Unread post by Brian Hagler »

I had a great time today, picked up a handful of Morgan's, Peace Dollars and nice Wheat and Indians from a Church friend.

My question is more for the experienced collectors; Several of the Morgan's are AU but they also have scotch tape marks across them. How much does that ugly tape mark detract from value.
Member of CONECA

“Love will demand suffering”

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Scotch Tape

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

Show us some pics and we will be able to tell you if there is something that can be done.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Brian Hagler
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by Brian Hagler »

Here are a few....
Attachments
03475DD6-988E-4489-9F5F-EA502C2D6E57.jpeg
5B8F93E6-B407-4F6B-8AA7-CFA5793B5599.jpeg
08F10BAA-AE15-4E22-8DA9-EADD4E9BBC98.jpeg
Member of CONECA

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

I think the damage has been done. But try soaking these in PURE acetone (Wal-Mart health and beauty Dept. $2.00 sold as fingernail polish remover) for a couple of minutes (might take less) to see if any of the residue will be removed. Acetone cannot harm the coin or its value.

To soak each coin, put the dollar in a container that you can cover to keep the acetone from evaporating (simple as using a glass and a plate on top).

Acetone is not toxic or harmful to you or the coins.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Brian Hagler
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by Brian Hagler »

I appreciate the help; Glad I went with my gut and didn't pay much for them.
Member of CONECA

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

The acetone has a chance at improving their look significantly. Please share pics after doing it :)

Brian Hagler
Coinasieur

#7 Unread post by Brian Hagler »

Earle42

Here is pictures after soaking in 100% Acetone for approximately 2 minutes.
What are the opinions on E Zest? Would I have different results?
Attachments
CBBBDE17-71D7-441A-A58D-637EB2E8A789.jpeg
6657B762-423D-4D30-9C62-CAC1F864C2EC.jpeg
AB801C70-614C-40F2-B57E-D51B9C19E0CD.jpeg
Member of CONECA

cbtengr1
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by cbtengr1 »

Try olive oil, it works on pennies. Although I don't if it would have adverse effect on gold. You do have leave them olive oil for awhile.

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by muswell65 »

It seems you were successful in achieving some improvement. Unfortunately, you may be limited now, because the remaining difference could be due to natural toning of the "untaped" portion as compared to the "taped" portion...

BrettS.
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by BrettS. »

OOF! Why do people do these things! 😟
Keep on collecting...
Cheers!

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#11 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

That's because they are not collectors and have no concern for the preservation of coins . Plain and simple .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Earle42 »

Its good the ugly tape residue is gone. Remember you are never going to get a coin to look like it just came out of the mint. They cen get shiny, but the cleaning will be obvious and ruin the value.

If there are any that are better dates, I would leave them aline after getting rid of the tape residue.

Common date Morgans you could try to use MS70 or e-Z-est on them. I do not know if you will be able to get uniform color or not.

Look at Daniel's videos on how to do this. And most importantly....practice on some melt value coin to get a feel for the speed at which the chemical works.

If you do use MS70 and then decide o try E-Z-est, you MUST make dead sure the coin is totally rinsed after one of those chemicals before using the other. Any residual chemical on the coin will cause a very quick blackening of the silver surface. I cannot emphasize that enough.

gmwatson
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by gmwatson »

Given what appears to be a successful adhesive removal effort, the coins are certainly candidates for a dip with E Zest if your now wanting to remove the disparate toning. If you choose to do so, just don't overdo it or you'll end up with three flat gray/silver Morgans essentially minus the luster (if any currently exists underneath).

Dipping a coin is a bit of a preference thing for folks and opinions on the subject are varied. You could always give one a shot and if you liked the outcome ... do the rest. I'm not big on dipping coins but do think there are times that warrant such. If I were in your shoes, this would probably be one of the few times I'd give it a go as I tend to think the two-toned look screams 'scotch tape' and that it's generally unattractive.

It's your call though.

jaberwoke
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by jaberwoke »

Rather than using MS70 or E-Zest, try this proven method to remove the tarnish:

Line a soup bowl with aluminum foil

Put a tablespoon of baking soda and a cup of water in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil. Be sure the baking soda is completely dissolved and then poor it into the bowl and over the coin.

Let it soak for a while and then remove the coin using plastic or wood tongs, spoon, whatever you have so as not to scratch the coin.

This is an electrolysis method for removing silver oxide, same as electroplating. The oxide will move to the aluminum foil and not disturb the silver or affect the surface of the metal at all. I've cleaned several silver coins this way as I don't want to use an acid bath which may affect the original surface of the coin.

And... it doesn't cost much. I have tried E-Zest and compared the results and the soda bath works just as well.

USSID18

#15 Unread post by USSID18 »

Did someone say Scotch Tape? I was a member of that club when I was 8 or 9! 😂🤣😳
Attachments
S20160814_002-ccfopt.jpg
S20160814_003-ccfopt.jpg

Brian Hagler
Coinasieur

#16 Unread post by Brian Hagler »

In my experience, buying coins from older folks and estates, I've been running into a lot of scotch tape and masking tape residue. I suppose 40-50 years ago, it was fairly common for people to do this. They didn't have the fancy holders available now.
Member of CONECA

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Earle42 »

Hey there...40 or 50 years ago? I resemble that remark! LOL!

Yes, we did have albums back then, but the albums were not as popular. Collecting was different b/c every coin had its own assigned value by mintage and mint mark. So the hobby was more about filling holes to get a complete set than what the focus has changed to nowadays. The modern hobby is turned a set of coins into a bunch of "junk silver" (where applicable) and a few keys coins that are held in plastic slabs.

So people were happy with COINS and cheap folders back then.

USSID18

#18 Unread post by USSID18 »

Earle42 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:56 pm The modern hobby is turned a set of coins into a bunch of "junk silver" (where applicable) and a few keys coins that are held in plastic slabs.
Hey- I resemble that remark! LOL!
Attachments
IMG_0573.JPG
IMG_Wash1.JPG
IMG_Wash2.JPG

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by Earle42 »

Nice looking set👍