Daniel mentioned in a recent video that he wanted to see some more 1895 Morgans!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
BrettS.
Coining Around

Daniel mentioned in a recent video that he wanted to see some more 1895 Morgans!

#1 Unread post by BrettS. »

I just watched one of Daniel's latest videos & figured I (might🤞🏻) have an 1895 that I am almost scared to have authenticated. Weird, I know. I'm not so well off that I couldn't use the money. It just would kind of be a little too good to be true, ya know?As I said, I don't know if it is even authentic so I couldn't really speak about if it is a business strike or a proof. I just hope it's real! If not, thats ok too.. I would be sending it in to PCGS if you all think it's legit, so 🤞🏻! Anyway pictures are attached.
20211024_211141.jpg
20211024_211113.jpg

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: Daniel mentioned in a recent video that he wanted to see some more 1895 Morgans!

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hello and welcome . What does it weigh ? The odds of this being real are Very Slim . Let's just see what others have to say . Only without a mintmark and in Proof ,880 Known to exist . Yours is not a Proof .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Daniel mentioned in a recent video that he wanted to see some more 1895 Morgans!

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Could you post more images with better lighting? Also, the coin needs weighed, magnet tested and has a dealer tested the alloy? Also, what's the back story on the coin? How did you acquire it, etc.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#4 Unread post by Paul »

This passage was taken from the NGC website:

The 1895 Proof Morgan dollar is considered the "King of Morgans" by many. It owes this title to the fact that not a single business-strike 1895-P Morgan dollar is known. Although the Philadelphia Mint reported the production of 12,000 mint state dollars in 1895, none have ever surfaced. It is likely that they all were melted and it's quite possible that they never actually left the Mint, Due to the fact that no business strikes are known of the 1895 Morgan dollar, the proof issue has had huge upward pressure put on its value. The 880 coin mintage, which is right in the middle of the pack for proof Morgan dollars, is simply not large enough to satisfy the huge demand there is for this issue. That means that one can expect to pay tens of thousands of dollars for an example in any grade.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

BrettS.
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by BrettS. »

OK, I am putting up some more pictures in different lighting and some of it on my .01 scale, which was calibrated right before the picture. Hopefully this helps one way or the other. I'm still looking for my calipers to get the exact measurements. As far as the magnet, I bought 200 lb. pull rare earth and not even the slightest wiggle or hesitation could be produced. I have a usb microscope to get some close-ups if anyone has a specific area of interest just let me know! Thanks to everyone for looking and regardless of how it comes out, it's about the journey, not the destination, right?
❌🚮 🆚 💲💰🏖️
🗨️ 😶 💭
Attachments
20211024_210855.jpg
20211024_210611.jpg
20211024_210836.jpg
20211024_210736.jpg
20211024_210918.jpg
20211024_210635.jpg
20210903_222217.jpg
20210903_222237.jpg
Last edited by BrettS. on Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Paul

#6 Unread post by Paul »

Any magnetic properties?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

BrettS.
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by BrettS. »

None. 200 lb. magnet. No movement. I did the slide up, tried everything. As far as I could tell, nothing. I found my digital calipers and will post pictures of them getting measured in it shortly.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

I hate to give bad news here but based on the latest images I am confident this coin is not authentic. The surface finish is not consistent with a authentic 1895 and further examination of the date and such shows the details are a bit off.

BrettS.
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by BrettS. »

Oof! 😔 Ok. Well, it is good to know regardless. I thank you and everyone else for your expertise. 👍🏻 I know you know your stuff Daniel, so I will accept this information and say thank you for saving me the price of submission to PCGS. This year, that mint, I'm a lucky dude but this thing would have been too good to be true!

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#10 Unread post by muswell65 »

I'm always intrigued by the feedback and guidance given on this site.

Take his hint about the date and closely compare it to real coins on PCGS (I admit this is what I did after his clue). Your second set of pictures was more clear. Using the point of Liberty's neck, draw an imaginary line down to the rim denticles. You'll notice it points right at the gap between two of them. Moving to the right, start counting up. At each position where a digit in the date begins, note where in the denticle count it is. Do this for your coin and multiple samples from PCGS. You'll notice that the date placement of yours seems off. All of the graded PCGS coins were consistent across multiple grades, and consistently inconsistent with yours.

I have no idea if this is a legitimate way to identify a fake, but I'm also just learning!

Best,
Jeff

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Earle42 »

I have no idea if this is a legitimate way to identify a fake, but I'm also just learning!
This is one way and it can be done with decent pics and a non-complicated graphics program as well.

I do have a powerful graphics program, but have found the free download called monosnap is good as well.

I take a screenshot of the coin in question with monosnap, it opens a window and displays an intuitive interface. I draw a line from one side of the coin to another trying, for instance, to make the line parallel to the back side of a the letter E in STATES, or through the center of T in States.

I take a professionally made slabbed picture from online and do the same.

It is not uncommon for that line to intersect a different part of a design element on the fake.

In fact, to make sure , I have drawn up to 6 lines on both pictures using markers as said above. Those lines will intersect devices and each other at the same places on legit coins (as long as only one master die was made). I once did this even with a picture of one of the famous Omega fakes that fooled everyone for years and the one I had a picture of failed the test!

Of course an transparency overlay is also extremely effective. When I have wanted to make sure, I use both.

Yeah...a free program gets around me having to pay a company to determine authenticity.

But again, if there is more than one master die made for that year, then the above won't work. I know I learned that here about an early 1800s coin. I don't know when they started using only one master die, but the method works for almost every coin I have ever wanted to ID through pics.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

BrettS.
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by BrettS. »

CollageMaker_20211029_142713509.jpg
I was wondering what exactly it was he saw there but I am also no expert. I will check out what you are saying to see it! I actually started pulling some screenshots off of multiple coin photos on CoinFacts and putting those both above and below mine in a collage-type style so I could compare two to mine at a time like this:

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Daniel »

You must look at the sharpness of the edges, openings of the digits and letters. The strike must match as well as finish of the surface.

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#14 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

based on what everybody else is saying, it is probably fake. take it to a LCS with an XRF gun to see if it is silver or not silver; if it is silver, more research needs done, if not, it is guaranteed to be fake

finalfantasy
Coinasieur

#15 Unread post by finalfantasy »

monsterbug1 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:38 pm based on what everybody else is saying, it is probably fake. take it to a LCS with an XRF gun to see if it is silver or not silver; if it is silver, more research needs done, if not, it is guaranteed to be fake
I'll admit this the weight is close to 26.73 grams. Its 26.72 from your pictures which could have been from the coin becoming worn down from the looks of the pictures. Here is where I shatter your hope. I have a coin that is similar to it and has the feel of nickel. I thought it was real myself till I compared it to another Morgan and weighed them both. The real Morgan was the proper weight while the other one that I thought was real was way off meaning it was a fake. The luster as someone has pointed out is completely off even for a worn grade Morgan. Now sure you can have a dealer or someone use a XRF gun to see the metal type but I can tell from the look this coin is made of Nickel just like the fake I have.