MS62 1865 3CN LDS Example

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

MS62 1865 3CN LDS Example

#1 Unread post by Paul »

Of course I can't find the original post asking for images of a "Late Die State" strike, that is considered mintstate...

Sorry it took me so long to find this, and excuse the very old horrific pictures…

But I just wanted to show that a coin with heavy die wear can be graded as "Mintstate".
Attachments
LH.jpg
R640.jpg
112.jpg
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

CoinPyro
Coinasieur

Re: MS62 1865 3CN LDS Example

#2 Unread post by CoinPyro »

Paul wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:33 pm Of course I can't find the original post asking for images of a "Late Die State" strike, that is considered mintstate...
But I just wanted to show that a coin with heavy die wear can be graded as "Mintstate".
I mean, you asked me to try and die grade the 1961 Proof nickel I showed off? Maybe this was something I asked for and forgot 😂
This is very cool; I had no idea a coin that looks like that could be considered "mint state." It looks pretty bad to me.

When it comes to "mint state" or "proof" coins, how should I handle them when I take them out of a coin handler/original shipment packaging? I used gloves with the proof coin I posted since I wasn't sure if fingerprints ruin a coin's mint state grade.

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Paul wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:33 pm Of course I can't find the original post asking for images of a "Late Die State" strike, that is considered mintstate...

Sorry it took me so long to find this, and excuse the very old horrific pictures…

I believe it was for me. No, I think that was rather quick.
This is one of the parts that had and have me confused. Every definition I have for MS 70 did not state Full Strike which is a very important thing to be leaving off. It was only this evening when looking at PCGS site for something else, I found under MS/PR where it stated Full Strike under the definition for MS/PR 70. Ugggg no wonder everyone thought I was crazy.
Now for your coin:
I guess because you have been doing this for a while you see the die deterioration. I only see because you told me. I am going to go find other examples and compare. Hopefully I will be able to start seeing it also.
Thank you so much Paul.......
Jeanne

Paul

#4 Unread post by Paul »

Yes Jeanne, this post was for you.
....... and it was a Cherrypicker for me, as this is a "Discovery MPD"..... but that's neither here nor there

It's important to memorize "Planchet Compositions", as well as "Die Deterioration", throughout the minting spectrum.

This is a more advanced topic than most people will never actually get to in their learning progression. Remember how I said that this can be a bit of "Rocket Science". You just don't pick it up overnight. It's not easy, and will take years to learn. Unfortunately most don't have the patience, so they quickly give up and quit, as the "Big Payoff" does not hit them right away! I've been doing this for over 50 years, and I see it every day.

All I can recommend, is that you stick with it.
Read and study as much as you can, if this is really something you want to do. I have purchased and sold more literature than most people have studied during their entire lifetime of schooling. I do not collect Morgans or Piece Dollars, but have Purchased, Read, & Sold all the books I could about them. Why? Curiosity I guess. I now understand why most novice collectors seek them out and pay large sums of money for them.
Most of all, spend your time inspecting millions of coins… It's the only way to become proficient at it.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep