Question about PR Graded Morgan Dollars

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
josephcolorado
Coinasieur

Question about PR Graded Morgan Dollars

#1 Unread post by josephcolorado »

I have a question...I have recently seen some PCGS/NGC graded and slabbed Morgan Dollars as PR 50 listed for $2K-ish. To me (very little experience), they look more like AU 50. They look circulated, and to me, they definately do not look like a proof. What is going on here? Thanks.
Master of Business Administration
Bachelor of Science

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

Re: Question about PR Graded Morgan Dollars

#2 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hi J, pics or it didn't happen. True proof Morgans can be rare, for example 1878 8 TF there were an estimated 500, but this is an estimate and there are no official records. Also low grade examples lack eye appeal.* this info is from red book guide book of silver Morgan dollars*. Believe it or not, the PL coins, in general, with an MS 63 look better than a Proof 50.

If you want to get involved with Morgans get the book I mentioned, see if you can get it from Daniel and throw him a bone for all he does.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Proof is not a grade, proof is a die finish and determined by certain die characteristics and strike as well as the planchet is sometime specially treated with square rims. A proof can be circulated but it better be graded by PCGS, NGC, ANACS or ICG or I would not take the coins seriously. If you look at PCGS and NGC price guides you will see values for PR30 and PR40, etc.

josephcolorado
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by josephcolorado »

Here's the certification number that shows under PCGS verify: 09986712 (PCGS has made this info public, obviously). The PCGS verify shows the coin worth $850, but it does show the "Grade" as PR50. That's what I am confused about. I don't know where "PR" fits in with the XF, AU, MS, etc.
Bachelor of Science

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

PR50 is a grade. Proof finish is not. PR just signifies the coin as a proof and not a business finish.

josephcolorado
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by josephcolorado »

That makes sense. So at what point does a circulated proof strike wear to the point of not being able to tell the difference between it, and a business strike. Basically, I am curious how graders can tell that a PR40 or PR50 proof strike, is not just an AU40 or 50 business strike? Case in point, some business strikes can look "proof like" in their original form. There must be something besides the surface between a proof and business strike that is a tell that a circulated coin once was a proof strike, versus a business strike, even after considerable wear. I'm just assuming, though.
Bachelor of Science

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

As I wrote above previously, the dies or collar die (reeding) and planchet preparation and often the design itself is slightly different. You're asking a question that takes years to learn. Just trust the professionals and in the meantime study each series' proof versions to begin learning.