Shipping Coins...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
wilkinsp21
Coin Wizz

Shipping Coins...

#1 Unread post by wilkinsp21 »

Hello, I am wondering how you ship coins? I went to ship a package via UPS and they advised they can not put insurance on American currency, so I could only have the default amount of $100.00
(normally it is $2.50 per $100 extra you wanna insure for UPS)
(USPS is a tiered price up to $5,000 and it is like 7 dollars)
(Fedex is $1 per $100 insured)

I was also advised that just because the package is insured for X account you will not get that amount if the package ends up lost, stolen, damaged etc.
you have to file a claim with the company and provide proof that what you shipped was in the box and valued at the price
They placed an investigation and come back with their finding within 90 days.

So If I ship then I don't get insurance, but it is a gamble then that the package will not get lost, stolen, damaged etc...
Thank you,
Patrick

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: Shipping Coins...

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hey Patrick . I more of a receiver but I'm sure someone will be able to help you .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey W, since I am a "back pocket" wannabe dealer, and basically sell on ebay I will give you my experience. ( I hope to graduate to vest pocket one day)

I use the ebay shipping labels, usps, a plastic shipping bag, and safety mailers. if I have multiple coins, I place them between two pieces of cardboard, I use regular tape to hold it together. Insurance is included. There is no guarantee of anything except that your automotive tech is underpaid, shipping is a hodgepodge of insurance fine print, it wasn't me (Shaggy), it's not lost, we just can't find it, etc.

It's like your homeowners policy, unless you register the value of jewelry and other high end stuff beforehand and pay the higher premium for full replacement value , you will only get a percentage of the value back.

So please realize it is very difficult to "lay off" full risk. Anytime you ship something, from your old GI Joe action figure or the Moss-Covered Three-Handled Family Gradunza, you take the risk. The big TPGS's have "people" to deal with this, smaller vendors just deal with it the best they can.

Anyway, probably not exactly what you wanted to hear, but it is what it is.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#4 Unread post by Paul »

I have been looking for a Moss-Covered Three-Handled Family Gradunza
(since thing 3 stole mine) for years … Do you have one for sale?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Funky Strike
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by Funky Strike »

I sell a few coins on eBay - I had two coins go "missing" from the Post Office during the holiday rush - one they said they never even got!

I agree - It is what It is - even $2.00 - $3.00 insurance on EVERY package adds up - If it's valuable I ship it Priority Mail - that has $100.00 free insurance - But it is more expensive
Attachments
01.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

Its good we live in a day where small packaged are common. People ship LEDs, memory card, etc. When I pack I just make sure that the package, from the outside, does not feel like a coin of 2X2 with a coin in it. I like the Mule's suggestion on the cardboard. I also have used pieces of plastic cut from the sides of a 2 liter bottle when I don't have cardboard. Padded envelope also.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Paul

#7 Unread post by Paul »

I made a post on this:

LINK
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Paul wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:38 pm I have been looking for a Moss-Covered Three-Handled Family Gradunza
(since thing 3 stole mine) for years … Do you have one for sale?
Paul what up, actually I am member of National MCTHFG Association, I have two Moss-Covered Three-Handled Family Gradunzas for sale on the Dark Web, both are slabbed, one with the new style slab, rainbow toned, certified GS 70 by NGPCGANAICGCA, the other one has a key (which makes it a "key" date), in an old rattlesnake holder, Blast Black, certified GS 68 1/4 with half a star, by NGPCGANAICGCA and a SAS Beanie Man sticker. Remember "Buy the Gradunza not the holder"

Attachments
Beanie man.png
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Paul

#9 Unread post by Paul »

I'm looking for a "71"..........................

If I close my curtains, and turn off all the lights… Will I be able to see the dark web?
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Kanlys
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by Kanlys »

Actually, shipping coins securely can be a real headache. If you don't pack them right, then your coins risk getting damaged or scratched in transit. Besides the fact that it's so time-consuming, the shipping fares are so shazbot high. Anyhow, as an affirmed numismatic, I've ordered dozens of coins on eBay, but only a few of them arrived unharmed. You know, Chinese sellers are way more careful when shipping coins, although the majority of them deliver with china post. All the coins are placed in separated cardboards sealed with protective barriers, and this way, there is no risk of damage.
Last edited by Kanlys on Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanB
Coinasieur

#11 Unread post by DanB »

The only way to insure coins is with either private insurance or registered mail. That’s why the TPG request you ship to them via registered. At least that’s my understanding with talking to posit office and TPG companies.

CaptJohn2
Coinasieur

#12 Unread post by CaptJohn2 »

I use Auctiva to create my eBay auctions. They offer an insurance option which I use on anything over $100. Only had to file two claims out of thousands of packages and Auctiva made the process easy and I was paid the full amount. Just the opposite happened when I filed claims with USPS for non-coin items. Very complex filing requirements and then they refused my claim on one item. I will never use USPS insurance again.

DanB
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by DanB »

CaptJohn2 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:23 am I use Auctiva to create my eBay auctions. They offer an insurance option which I use on anything over $100. Only had to file two claims out of thousands of packages and Auctiva made the process easy and I was paid the full amount. Just the opposite happened when I filed claims with USPS for non-coin items. Very complex filing requirements and then they refused my claim on one item. I will never use USPS insurance again.
Did you ship using registered mail for claim that was denied?

CaptJohn2
Coinasieur

#14 Unread post by CaptJohn2 »

No, it was a fishing reel going to Belgium. I insured it and sent First Class International. USPS said tracking showed it made it to Customs so they were no longer responsible! But they sure took my money for insurance that I thought covered me to the buyer's door. Auctiva paid me the amount the items sold for on eBay without me having to jump thru hoops since they track all auctions I create using their service. With USPS you have to prove what something is worth - they will not automatically accept the amount for which you insured the item.

I have rarely used Registered Mail and never had to file a claim. But my guess is, they will not automatically accept the amount you insured the item for. So lets say you find some rare double die in circulation, then send it registered insured to PCGS but it never gets there. Good luck getting the full amount of insurance.
Last edited by CaptJohn2 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

DanB
Coinasieur

#15 Unread post by DanB »

It’s obvious you have to prove what something is worth. No different than any other insurance claim. Documentation such as photos, appraisals and preferably receipts are needed.

CaptJohn2
Coinasieur

#16 Unread post by CaptJohn2 »

DanB wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:51 am It’s obvious you have to prove what something is worth. No different than any other insurance claim. Documentation such as photos, appraisals and preferably receipts are needed.
I disagree. The USPS should not charge you for $1,000 of insurance, and then try to pay you less. It should work just like life insurance. Once the item (or person) is lost, full amount should be paid. I would hate to think how much my heirs would get if they had to prove what I was worth! When my garage was destroyed in 2019, I was paid the full value of what it was insured for. I did not have to prove what it was worth. Payouts should be based on premiums charged, not what you can prove after the fact.

When my claim was denied, it was not even a USPS person handling it. Rather some third party that no doubt got paid by how many claims they could avoid paying.

DanB
Coinasieur

#17 Unread post by DanB »

Read the fine print on USPS insurance. Disagree all you want. Terms and conditions dictate what’s covered and how.
Registered is the only thing covered for coins by USPS. You have proof of values of what was shipped by documentation if your shipping to a TPG. It’s up to you the shipper to have support documentation. And if sending in raw coins you have receipt from the mint or from purchase of raw coins. This is a coin forum which is what this thread is about, not your missing fishing reel. Has nothing to do with coins.
I’m done with this conversation.

Brian Hagler
Coinasieur

#18 Unread post by Brian Hagler »

Order some coins from Daniel.....great example of how to ship coins.
Member of CONECA

“Love will demand suffering”