No FG halves

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
BillyBob
Coin Collector

No FG halves

#1 Unread post by BillyBob »

In searching the Kennedy's for various errors, I only came across 1 possibility and that being the 1972 D "no FG". I didn't check the 1982 P's because I planned to keep every one no matter what. Reason I put no FG in parentheses is that I was wondering if there were transitional coins that had a lesser amount of polishing away of the designer's initials. I found 1 that definitely had a very weak FG and almost non-existent F. Is this coin worth 50 cents or perhaps a bit more? Sorry, I don't have the capability yet for taking close-up photos. Thank you, William

AverageStacker
Coinasieur

Re: No FG halves

#2 Unread post by AverageStacker »

for it to carry a premium, it has to have absolutely no trace of an FG.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

please see the link in my signature and read all about the No FG's. It is unfortunate but the grading companies have really messed this up. Popel have spent thousands on FG coins labeled as No FG. Since you are interested in these (like I am!), I highly suggest you read the paper. It uses PCGS pictures/standards/data etc.

It is a shame to begin with they created a market for this (and it was one of their former presidents that "discovered" the 7d-D No FG) since it is not an error.

It also is a total gamble as to what they will label as a No FG. The pictures will show this.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#4 Unread post by DSCoins »

Everyone needs to backup a minute. Halves do not have FGs, cents have the no FG. Halves have the no FS. I know it sort of picky, but if your going learn it, you need to use the right one.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

AverageStacker
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by AverageStacker »

DSCoins wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:28 am Everyone needs to backup a minute. Halves do not have FGs, cents have the no FG. Halves have the no FS. I know it sort of picky, but if your going learn it, you need to use the right one.
HUH? If these initials are "FS" as you claim, I need to go back to school.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211010-081411_Gallery.jpg

AverageStacker
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by AverageStacker »

Earle's article is extremely detailed and I find it fascinating the first time I read it (after posting about No FG halves) it was at that time that I had found this one which is a true No FG and not an abraided die.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211010-053804_PCGS Cert.jpg
43474559_large.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

DSCoins wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:28 am Everyone needs to backup a minute. Halves do not have FGs, cents have the no FG. Halves have the no FS. I know it sort of picky, but if your going learn it, you need to use the right one.
Whoops....

DS, please read the essay in my link. Both cents and Halves have the NO FG varieties. In fact there have been some halves slabbed as No FG that are not of the main dates of: 1966 SMS, 1972-D, and 1982-P!

The 1983-P is also well known date for the No FG, but unlike the main three mentioned, I have not se a claim the '83 is an actual die error.

I am of the opinion the 1982-P Kennedy No FG is a legitimate variety and not just die polished off.

I have looked over many pictures of slabbed ones and have seen die polishing ont he 66 and 72-D varieties, but not enough yet to say there might not be some legit.

I admit I need time to research all three of the main dates better though before being more certain.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#8 Unread post by DSCoins »

Earle42 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:49 pm
Whoops....

DS, please read the essay in my link. Both cents and Halves have the NO FG varieties. In fact there have been some halves slabbed as No FG that are not of the main dates of: 1966 SMS, 1972-D, and 1982-P!

The 1983-P is also well known date for the No FG, but unlike the main three mentioned, I have not se a claim the '83 is an actual die error.

I am of the opinion the 1982-P Kennedy No FG is a legitimate variety and not just die polished off.

I have looked over many pictures of slabbed ones and have seen die polishing ont he 66 and 72-D varieties, but not enough yet to say there might not be some legit.

I admit I need time to research all three of the main dates better though before being more certain.
I realized it after the fact. I was thinking about the Nickel which has the FS instead of the halves FG
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901