Doctor Frankencoin strikes again!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Matthudson
Coin Wizz

Doctor Frankencoin strikes again!

#1 Unread post by Matthudson »

So, after reading the thread on bronze disease in which Bruce mentions the famous bicarbonate of soda / and sodium-carbonate combination I got an itch to do a little "seek and destroy", or "rescue" mission on my own.

I have a lot of wheaties stored in a shoebox in a basement for several decades. They display varying degrees of spotting and ugly toning.

In the first experiment, I soaked this 1955-D cent (AU, some original mint red around portrait) in acetone for about 10 minutes and cleared away the dirt between the base of the portrait and the rim, as well as the other usual nooks and crannies. I shudder at the thought of using a tooth pick, and find a gentle swabbing with a Q-tip less invasive.

Step two: I soaked the coin for 15 minutes in a bowl of very hot water and Arm and Hammer laundry detergent.) I found no difference between 15 minutes and overnight, except that some of the coppers came out with a bluish hue when soaked too long, probably due to the bluing agent in the "oxy clean" additive. (Its primary ingredients are the sodium bi and -carbonate.)
S1850040.JPG
Step three: After rinsing (I use tap water), I let them soak in coconut oil (whaaaaaat ?!)for a few minutes and then wipe away the excess with a Q-tip. Then, they sit on the window sill for a couple weeks days to "rest". This also alleviates the blue toning considerably.

Here is the result with a "before" coin of similar grade to the right:
S1850034.JPG
S1850036.JPG
I have to say, I am quite pleased with the result.

Then there's the one where this Bozo sends me an Indian cent advertised as "UNC". It is cleaned and colored with what appears to be red Sharpie! In the most extreme cases, I will use "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. It is super harsh, and I don't recommend it for valuable coins. Now, the coin is completely stripped and the healing can begin. Here's a Canadian cent I just did this morning:
S1850030.JPG
To get the original toning back, I find the best way is to stick 'em in with a bunch of other copper coins, that are unaffected by mold or verdigris. I have an old cardboard tube bank from the 40s? Or earlier - I'm going by the font. And you see the result here between the Canadian cent, and the Indian that has been stored with the others for about 2 weeks. After about 3 months, it will be completely brown and have a rather natural appearance again.
S1850031.JPG
S1850037.JPG
OF COURSE, I will advertise coins treated in this manner as "cleaned", should I offer to them for sale.

If this has inspired you to create your own monsters, well, then it has.
Attachments
S1850028.JPG

USSID18

Re: Doctor Frankencoin strikes again!

#2 Unread post by USSID18 »

Matthudson wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:03 pm
If this has inspired you to create your own monsters, well, then it has.
No it hasn't. It actually had the opposite effect. You remind me of this kid! 😂🤣😳
Attachments
sid-in-toy-story.gif
sid-in-toy-story.gif (472.62 KiB) Viewed 1007 times