Lincoln gold dollar rolls. From the mint?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

Lincoln gold dollar rolls. From the mint?

#1 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

I bank hopped today in the big city ( Population 70,000) and came across three rolls of Abe Lincoln gold dollars. Both ends crimped (?), but as you can see it says N.F. String and sons Inc. so I'm guessing it's not the mint. Anybody have Info. on who this Co. is? And now the big conundrum, do I open one to get a look? On Ebay the low price was 50$, do I sell? Or do I just put them away. The teller at the bank stated that a person brought them in. I should have asked her if he brought any other rolls, an after thought I'll call tomorrow. Just looking for ideas.
coin roll and dog, cat 005.JPG
Another preponderance, what grade do you think I'll find? Originally from the mint I'm guessing this is how they'd roll. Bad attempt on a play of words I know.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lincoln gold dollar rolls. From the mint?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

The mint doesn't roll their own coins, at least not all of them, they out source that and these are considered mint rolls. But no one can tell you if you should open them or not.

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

If that reply is from Daniel my mentor then let me ask this. What would you do?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

I am a dealer, so my decisions are different from a collector. I sell them as rolls and single so just depends what I need for inventory. So I can't answer that for you.

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

Thank you Daniel but I am neither a collector nor a dealer. Due to my situation this just keeps my mind occupied. One day I will bury whatever I have with some DNA. Okay, for curiosity sake I'm going to open one.

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

I opened one roll. It looks like every coin has some kind of mark on them. I am disappointed and suspicious.

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#7 Unread post by DSCoins »

the rolls you are showing are just standard "bank roll coins"
You need to remember that the coins in "bank rolled wrappers" are sent from the mint in large bags of 200,000 coins and shipped to a company who has a contract with the mint to roll the coins. These coins are the standard coins made for circulation and no special handling. Even rolls which are in "mint wrappers" are just that, they are also rolled by a third party. These "mint wrapped" rolls are than sent to the Fulfillment Center in Memphis, TN.. The coins intended for circulation are now shipped out of the company to the the Federal Reverse Banks and Branches (this is were your bank orders all coins and currency from) . So as you can see, the coins in Mint Wrappers are taken right out of the coins that were minted to be circulated without any special handling.
Bank rolled coins---Ordered by a bank from the Federal Reserve Bank
Mint coin rolls--Coins rolled by third party using rolls printed with US MINT.

USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

Thank you. One question for you. I have a presidential folder that I am trying to fill, I can't seem to find many of the presidential dollars after the 20th president. Is their a reason for this or am I just not having any luck.