1958 D lincoln penny I found in a penny roll (probably not the one everyone is looking for)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Woodennickles
Coining Around

1958 D lincoln penny I found in a penny roll (probably not the one everyone is looking for)

#1 Unread post by Woodennickles »

Sooooo to continue sharing some of the stuff I found in this trunk I really could not help myself there was a half roll of unwrapped pennies. This guy was apparently a penny fanatic its sorta weird going through stuff trying to figure out what exactly this guy was looking for or putting together. Not sure why he left this with my in-laws but I like to think maybe whoever this guy was is happy knowing someone who appreciates what he was doing stumbled upon it and is making sure it's not just stuffed in the back of some closet forgotten. Anyways I found a lot of really nice looking wheat cents but the one that really caught my eye was this 1958 D Lincoln it still has a lot of mint luster on it and looks really nice. If you guys see anything on it let me know I am still trying to figure out what is worth burning my vouchers on to get slabbed. I am working to get a better solution for photographs currently using my galaxy s-20 but hoping to upgrade soon any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
1958 D lincoln obverse.jpg
1958 Lincoln cent D reverse.jpg

CoinBoy2
Coin Wizz

Re: 1958 D lincoln penny I found in a penny roll (probably not the one everyone is looking for)

#2 Unread post by CoinBoy2 »

HARD TO TELL W/PICS ,BUT NICE COIN! PROBABLY NOT WHAT WE WANT 😉 PROBABLY 66 ,MAYBE 67 . GOOD LUCK
ANA Member.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1958 D lincoln penny I found in a penny roll (probably not the one everyone is looking for)

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

Only a decent GUESS can be given for grading with photos. If the marks showing in the photos are on the coin and ot photographic artifacts, this one likely would be held to a low MS.

Please, before making submissions, make sure you watch Daniel's videos. The companies are not what the mass mindset out there thinks them to be.

Also, following is a post I made awhile ago here that will allow you to reference some data to verify what is being said:
"
Here is more info concerning the nature of the grading companies to help people make better educated decisions.
Thinking of Slabbing? Make sure you understand the Facts...or You Could Lose Money.
1. The grading companies are not a way that the majority of people, even those with a great deal of experience who know what they are doing, are going to be able to use in order to make huge personal profits. Many people start using grading companies thinking they will find a way to finance their hobby, but they learn a hard lesson quickly.

2. Watch some of Daniel's videos where he gets pieces back form the grading companies. Note even people who live, eat, breath, and deal coins for a living (like Daniel) can accurately predict what grade the companies will give. And...the "fault" (not really a fault) is in a widespread mistaken perception people get from being exposed to all the slabs being sold nowadays.

Coin grading companies are a business out to make a profit - this is why they exist. They use a system where (allegedly) three graders look at each coin and give an opinion. The company videos showing the process make you believe this is a relaxed paced process of studying each coin. In fact one PCGS video shows a number of guys sitting around a table discussing what they think a specific coin should be graded as (on youtube somewhere - sorry no link). Uh uh.

If you take a PCGS graded coin slabbed as MS64, break it out, and resubmit it to PCGS, you are never guaranteed the same grade again. The slabbed coin might come back MS62 (bad day for graders), 63, 64, 65, 66 (great day for you!). This is b/c the process is all subjective: No scientific/verifiable standards or methods are used. Personally having talked with former graders (granted - its been awhile), the process is very rushed since they told me graders are paid by how many coins they can get through in a day.

But..this is all hearsay without proof. So...
Grading the Coin Graders

Here is another good read from someone there at the start of the grading companies:
Hobby negative impacts from slabbing companies

Also link to and read (download if you want it) the pdf link in my signature. The verifiable data presented shows trusting people have spent thousands of dollars on many slabbed coins that are not what the companies claims/slabbed the coins to be.

You don't have to throw in the towel over these companies...but education about the reality of them will put you on the right pathway to dealing with them in a legit way without losing money in the process.

And…if you just like to collect slabbed coins for what they are, which makes losing/making money from slabs irrelevant, then of course enjoy them!"
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Woodennickles
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Woodennickles »

Thanks for the reply and yah sorry about the cruddy photos I just am enjoying sharing what I got. Daniel is the man I have really been watching alot of his videos I have a 1878 trade dollar but I am pretty sure its been cleaned which is unfortunate but still pretty cool to hold something that old and wonder what sorta story it would tell yah if it could.

Woodennickles
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Woodennickles »

Well I have four vouchers to burn I just am trying to figure out which four out of all this stuff would be the best to send I mean I like the idea of a slab to help preserve the coin regardless of condition. If I like the coin enough to wanna hang onto it and preserve it so whoever winds up getting it passed on to them can enjoy it for what it is. LOL ever read that discworld book making money? I think about that book alot now when I'm going through this stuff probably gonna re-read it again soon.

H143904
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by H143904 »

That coin looks very good for a 1958 D. I think its a good find and would hold on to it.

Woodennickles
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Woodennickles »

Thanks I really do not wanna break forum rules but I figure it's not to often you stumble into a hobby and really wanted to share this stuff. I think its really cool and the guy who left it with my in-laws (Again apparently he was a very old customer and for whatever reason would pay his dry cleaning bill in old coins they just sorta hung onto them.) probably appreciates it as well.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

I like the idea of a slab to help preserve the coin regardless of condition. If I like the coin enough to wanna hang onto it and preserve it so whoever winds up getting it passed on to them can enjoy it for what it is.
Sorry to say, coins still tarnish and lose color in slabs. in other words its a common mass misconception that THE "experts" use the best possible protection for coins when they grade them.

Slabs are not airtight. Slabs do not offer the best protection for coins...but they look nice to most people.

Options 1 - on the cheap: As far as I know, the best protection for coins on the super cheap are 2X2 holders (I would not suggest them as much for dollar coins though as a lot of the time gaps occur on the edges for air to get in when a coin this big is put into a 2X2. Others may differ in opinion on this.

Con - but easily solved: People stack 2X2s without realizing the bent over staple ends on the back will make small holes in, or slit the window, on the 2X2 below it. So a flat clinch stapler (or a pair of pliers) is a must. I went through a collection of coins stored in 2X2s in boxes made for that purpose. Every MS coin had a black mark on it from years of storage allowing contaminants in the small, almost invisible holes, caused by staples from other 2X2s at some time making the damage

Option 2: Use Air-Tite capsules. They will preserve the coin as long as there is nothing on them when they are put into the capsules. To make sure of no contamination, mine all get an acetone dip (and given the few seconds it takes for the acetone to thoroughly evaporate after removal from the acetone) before being put into the capsules.
The pain in capsules is they are not as convenient to stack/store as 2X2s. There are storage tubes sold for the capsules or you can get ENCAP album pages designed to fit the capsules into the pages - they look NICE. But the pages run at least 4.00 each.

These pages and capsules are my gift suggestions I give to my kids and wife for Christmas, etc. eBay has the best prices - shop to find them.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Arielle63
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by Arielle63 »

Woodennickles wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:04 pm Well I have four vouchers to burn I just am trying to figure out which four out of all this stuff would be the best to send I mean I like the idea of a slab to help preserve the coin regardless of condition. If I like the coin enough to wanna hang onto it and preserve it so whoever winds up getting it passed on to them can enjoy it for what it is. LOL ever read that discworld book making money? I think about that book alot now when I'm going through this stuff probably gonna re-read it again soon.
I have one at home but it is not authenticated and I'm afraid to have it appraised.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

Arielle63 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:09 pm
Woodennickles wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:04 pm Well I have four vouchers to burn I just am trying to figure out which four out of all this stuff would be the best to send I mean I like the idea of a slab to help preserve the coin regardless of condition. If I like the coin enough to wanna hang onto it and preserve it so whoever winds up getting it passed on to them can enjoy it for what it is. LOL ever read that discworld book making money? I think about that book alot now when I'm going through this stuff probably gonna re-read it again soon.
I have one at home but it is not authenticated and I'm afraid to have it appraised.
Don't put links in your comments or you will be removed from this community. Thanks