1974 Eisenhower Proof Dollar going hazy

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
H143904
Coining Around

1974 Eisenhower Proof Dollar going hazy

#1 Unread post by H143904 »

Has anyone else had this problem with US Mint Proof Dollars in plastic cases? I have one that is going hazy. Just wondering what to do if I should leave as is or take out of case. I thought it was sealed but maybe the seal broker. Has allot of haze around the coin and a few marks that looks like corrosion. Any advice on what others are doing would be helpful so I can try to preserve the coin.
Attachments
Resized_20210716_194541.jpeg
Resized_20210716_194608.jpeg
WIN_20210716_19_46_42_Pro.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1974 Eisenhower Proof Dollar going hazy

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

These holders were, obviously, not airtight and so when stored in a humid area, what you re seeing is common. Since it is a proof, a quick dip in E-Z-Est (and then Thorough rinse preferably distilled water) will bring it back to what it looked like originally. The word quick is a literal word in this case. Just dip and rinse immediately. If its not all gone - do the same quick dip and rinse thoroughly again.
Too much will give a lifeless look to the coin. So just take it in steps as above and yo will be OK. I suggest getting an inexpensive proof dime or something and practicing just to get a feel for it.

Been there, done that.

Proofs coins done in this way are undetectable from one with no tarnish like yours. Years ago I had a coin dealer who used to be a professional grader show me this and tell me that this is acceptable. I am sure Daniel will concur.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

H143904
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by H143904 »

Earl that's great advice and will try that. If I remove from holder, what would you recommend I place the coin into? I thought since it was in the holder that it was considered uncirculated so if I take it out, then does that change the grade of the coin? It was left in my care when my father passed away and I am new to coin collecting and want to do thing the best way possible to preserve his collection.

Jerseyb
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Jerseyb »

You can just buy a capsule for it. Thats probably the best "holder". Also it will not affect the grade of the coin, its still uncirculated.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

I thought since it was in the holder that it was considered uncirculated so if I take it out, then does that change the grade of the coin?
A bit of a misunderstanding.
First: This is a proof coin.

Second: The word uncirculated is a bit misunderstood by people new to the hobby (and some not so new 😊)

Uncirculated, in the hobby, doe not necessarily mean it was never in circualtion. Confusing, I know. But the term means a coin is in uncirculated condition. In other words, the coin is in as good a condition ("mint state") as they day it left the mint.

Third: The word proof indicates a specialized process was used to make the coin. It will always be a proof coin no matter how much damage it has and how terrible it looks.

Third: Go ahead and dip it. The put it into a capsule (look up Air Tite capsules online). I find eBay is typically the least expensive place and is where I get mine. You will need to make sure you are getting one for Eisenhower dollars since they come in different sizes.

Also...and I know some people will disagree...I am an old fogey with coins...proof coins used to be advertised as (from the mint) never touched by human hands. So being a bit OCD, I tend to use cotton gloves or a pair of coin tongs to hold/dip mine.

These are the best I have found, use, and love (also the least expensive on eBay):
Coin tongs (Reptile feeding tongs)
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?