How To Get Bank Bags of Ike Dollars

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

How To Get Bank Bags of Ike Dollars

#1 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

I have seen some evidence, including the ebay listing linked below, that it is still possible to acquire bank bags of Ike dollars from some banks. However, I have been unable to source information as to which brand of banks can order these bags. Can anyone here shed some light on this??

Ebay link

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: How To Get Bank Bags of Ike Dollars

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Are you just looking for Bags ?
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Brian Hagler
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by Brian Hagler »

Best bet is if you have access to a small town bank, in my experience.
I also have access to a large bank; I know the VP.
Do for me, ordering 250.00 of halves and roll hunting and returning to the same bank, is no problem. I know not everyone has that access.

I'd do it more often but that " time" thing keeps getting away from me.....I wonder if my metal detector will pinpoint time?
Member of CONECA

“Love will demand suffering”

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

Just letting you know on another forum I am on, this same question has been asked many times since I have been there (2011). The answers keep coming back pretty much like Brian just said about the small town banks. Banks in populated areas seem to be the ones who say they cannot order them.

However, it is interesting that the people getting these do every once in awhile find Morgans, Peace dollars, and ASEs...just not often. I cannot imagine someone turning in any of the three to a bank...and at least the tellers not grabbing them b/c they look so different!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

I live in a small town. They will only order JFK 1/2 dollars by the box, 1000$. They did it for me and let me get 250$ worth at a time. The gold dollars they said no. One stipulation was though that I do not bring the 1/2 dollars back to them. Apparently they are hard to get rid of. I spent them in businesses in the area. Look up the Coin Act of 1965. One bank told me I'd have to have an account in order to do coin exchanges with them. That is illegal, I returned with a copy of the Coin Act of 1965. What is a Bank Bag of lke dollars?

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#6 Unread post by DSCoins »

I do know that the Bank I use (actually Credit Union), orders coins for me all the time. I have a standing order for 2 boxes of cents every Friday. They also have called me when someone has turned any large dollars (at the main branch and two other branches). I have manage to get quite a few Ike dollars that way. I guess I am lucky because they will order boxes of anything from cents to dollars for me and call with old stuff.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

Very nice! Take advantage of it while it lasts (hopefully forever!). Don;t forget to reward the tellers with chocolate/donuts/etc. every once in awhile😊

I had a small town bank ordering halves for me for 2 years. Then evidently the upper levels heard of it and wanted to start charging me 5.00 a box for the time and effort of putting the coins through their rolling machines (they would not let me roll them, they HAD to go through their machines). The head teller was apologetic, but said she had her orders.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#8 Unread post by DSCoins »

I have been very lucky with the Bank. I have been able to get coins from them since 2009. They were happy to sell me penny bags, nickel bags, and any other denomination I wanted from their coin star machine. The told me it actually saved them money as they had to pay by the pound to ship them out. In 2014 I had to take a medical hiatus from coin collection (searching) due to severer health issues (stroke) and was not to get back into it until 2019. I can't believe the smiles I got when I started my weekly order of two boxes of cents to be picked up every Friday (yes I still get my weekly order). Even during the covid out break they still continue to get me the coins.
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:53 am Are you just looking for Bags ?
sorry if I was unclear; Looking to get Ike dollars themselves in bulk from a bank; they usually(from what I have heard) come in bags, not rolls

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#10 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

DSCoins wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:04 pm I have been very lucky with the Bank. I have been able to get coins from them since 2009. They were happy to sell me penny bags, nickel bags, and any other denomination I wanted from their coin star machine. The told me it actually saved them money as they had to pay by the pound to ship them out. In 2014 I had to take a medical hiatus from coin collection (searching) due to severer health issues (stroke) and was not to get back into it until 2019. I can't believe the smiles I got when I started my weekly order of two boxes of cents to be picked up every Friday (yes I still get my weekly order). Even during the covid out break they still continue to get me the coins.
thank you for the information. I am able to order all other denominations/ types (including Susan B Anthony Dollars/ "Gold" dollars) from the credit union I go to, but not ike dollars, and am trying to find a bank that can order such coins

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

Earle42 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:15 am Just letting you know on another forum I am on, this same question has been asked many times since I have been there (2011). The answers keep coming back pretty much like Brian just said about the small town banks. Banks in populated areas seem to be the ones who say they cannot order them.

However, it is interesting that the people getting these do every once in awhile find Morgans, Peace dollars, and ASEs...just not often. I cannot imagine someone turning in any of the three to a bank...and at least the tellers not grabbing them b/c they look so different!

That is what I have heard as well, but I am unable to confirm this, as I have not been able to find a bank that can order these bags of Ike dollars

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#12 Unread post by DSCoins »

You can not order Ike Dollars. My bank just happens to call me when some one turns them in. They are no longer made by the and thus the Federal Reserve Band and its Branches do not order them (they can't). You have to remember that the mint fills the orders of the Federal Reserve Banks and its branches for the coins it wants. The banks and credit unions in return order their money from the Federal Reserve Banks. In a nut shell if the Mint doesn't mint a coin no longer in production or minted for Numismatic purposes only. Proof set, Uncirculated Coin Sets, Up until just recently Kennedy Halves (reports of all new Kennedy Halves ( I.E. 2020 and 2021) found in 500 and 1000 dollar boxes) nor the American Innovation Dollars can be ordered.
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#13 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

DSCoins wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:01 pm You can not order Ike Dollars. My bank just happens to call me when some one turns them in. They are no longer made by the and thus the Federal Reserve Band and its Branches do not order them (they can't). You have to remember that the mint fills the orders of the Federal Reserve Banks and its branches for the coins it wants. The banks and credit unions in return order their money from the Federal Reserve Banks. In a nut shell if the Mint doesn't mint a coin no longer in production or minted for Numismatic purposes only. Proof set, Uncirculated Coin Sets, Up until just recently Kennedy Halves (reports of all new Kennedy Halves ( I.E. 2020 and 2021) found in 500 and 1000 dollar boxes) nor the American Innovation Dollars can be ordered.
That makes some sense. However, regardless of that fact, it seems like some banks, as shown by the ebay listing I linked, can and do order them from some place, although I know not where