Eye Fatigue

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
claudewill1
Coin Wizz

Eye Fatigue

#1 Unread post by claudewill1 »

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to do when it comes to really bad eye fatigue with my vision getting really blurry after using a loupe for a while? I tried using a x10 usb scope for looking at coins because seeing them on a screen doesn't affect my vision like looking through a loupe, however, there's certain things I can't see with the scope so I always resort back to one of my x10 loupes.

Thanks,

Claude

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: Eye Fatigue

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Not to be rude or whatever but I had that issue also . Went to the Eye Doctors and got better glasses ( stronger) and now my Vision is 20/20 with them on . Maybe this will help for you also ?
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

silverbul

#3 Unread post by silverbul »

cut back on the loop use, let your eyes REST. jmo

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#4 Unread post by Paul »

silverbul wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:48 pm cut back on the loop use, let your eyes REST. jmo
I agree
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

claudewill1
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by claudewill1 »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:26 pm Not to be rude or whatever but I had that issue also . Went to the Eye Doctors and got better glasses ( stronger) and now my Vision is 20/20 with them on . Maybe this will help for you also ?
They gave me glasses, though I might need newer ones. I have 20/20 vision as well (according to the eye doctor). It seems like I used to be able to go a few hours looking at coins without any issues, now it's just a few minutes and I have issues.

Paul

#6 Unread post by Paul »

Remember:

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill"
quoted by Pauly-Lama
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#7 Unread post by DSCoins »

I like that one Paul.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

The only thing I know of is resting them. Its a bother, I know!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

claudewill1
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by claudewill1 »

Well, I thought I would add an update on why I need a USB x10 scope or something else to look at coins, and a loupe makes my vision blurry. I believe the eye doctor said I am farsighted, meaning that I can see things from a distance perfectly fine. However, the closer I get to something physically, the worse my vision will get.

Looking at a coin under x10 magnification digitally doesn't have the same effect on my eyes as literally looking at something close. Though, it still doesn't explain why sometimes I have more of an issue than other times.

pnwmakes
Coin Expert

#10 Unread post by pnwmakes »

Just my two cents here. I hunt through at least 5000 LMC a week if not more. Do I look at everyone? No just the ones that have KNOWN mint errors and varieties and my favorite RPM's. I am over 50 and wear trifocals. I had to go to a scope that goes into my computer. I set it the lowest setting (can see about 90% of the coin) and look at coins like that. If I see anything that looks like a KNOWN error I then grab the 10x triplet loupe and examine it that way. I do understand that most "graders" use only a 10x loupe. Just don't get focused on super magnification of the coin you will see things that are not errors and such. But for me this works. Again just my two cents.
Member of CONECA
Island Dweller
Former U.S. Navy

bobber
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by bobber »

Have you mentioned to your eye doctor what you're doing with your eyes?
My eye doctor made me different sets of glasses for different uses.
We had to experiment with different prescriptions for my different uses.
Works great, now that we've figured out what my eyes like! :-)

Clint W
Coinasieur

#12 Unread post by Clint W »

pnwmakes wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:48 pm Just my two cents here. I hunt through at least 5000 LMC a week if not more. Do I look at everyone? No just the ones that have KNOWN mint errors and varieties and my favorite RPM's. I am over 50 and wear trifocals. I had to go to a scope that goes into my computer. I set it the lowest setting (can see about 90% of the coin) and look at coins like that. If I see anything that looks like a KNOWN error I then grab the 10x triplet loupe and examine it that way. I do understand that most "graders" use only a 10x loupe. Just don't get focused on super magnification of the coin you will see things that are not errors and such. But for me this works. Again just my two cents.
I agree! I use the USB microscope just to make it easier on my eyes
USAF Retired 1995-2018
Fairly new to collecting

claudewill1
Coin Wizz

#13 Unread post by claudewill1 »

One thing I thought I would add, I don't always have this issue, it seems to come and go and isn't constant, some times I can look at coins through an x10 loupe all day and it won't affect my vision at all, other days I can do it for just 1 minute and it will hurt my vision. I had a similar issue back in high school in 2004, my vision would get really bad at times, but other times it would be perfectly fine. my vision was perfect during my time in the Navy.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Earle42 »

If it were me I would see an eye doctor ad explain it to him. I don't know enough to know why it would be sporadic like this. Although sometimes I find by keeping track of my activities/foods I can find patterns and find a solution.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

claudewill1
Coin Wizz

#15 Unread post by claudewill1 »

I've actually tried explaining that to them. I may try and see if the VA can send me to a different eye doctor. I know when I was really young back in the early 90s, I had some eye virus where if there was any light I would basically go blind and it wasn't really treatable as far as anything that would make it go away, they could use steroids that would help, but as soon as I would get taken off of them it would come back. That went away eventually though. I would've missed out on a lot of things in life if that stuck with me.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by Earle42 »

Glad to hear you were able to overcome the virus. I have never heard of this type of thing before (thankfully!), but sorry you had to endure it.

I hope the Dr. can do something for you.

TigerWoodsFan
Coining Around

#17 Unread post by TigerWoodsFan »

As an avid video game player, there are drills you can’t do with your eyes to make them feel better. The best you can do is take a break and focus on something in the distance. For example, look outside your window for a few minutes and/or blink rapidly for a while. Focusing reduces how much you blink and eye drops can help with that.