Why does my 1999 D Roosevelt dime looks way thinner than other dimes?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Water_and_Dirt

Why does my 1999 D Roosevelt dime looks way thinner than other dimes?

#1 Unread post by Water_and_Dirt »

I already compared it to a few and to me looks way thinner but weights normal 2.27g
Attachments
IMG_20210911_080112874_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210911_080146674_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210911_080154404_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210911_080646901_HDR.jpg

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: Why does my 1999 D Roosevelt dime looks way thinner than other dimes?

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Rolled thin Planchet error ?
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Water_and_Dirt

#3 Unread post by Water_and_Dirt »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:03 pm Rolled thin Planchet error ?
Thanks , I'm doing a little research and found a video that this type of coins are worth something , is that true?

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#4 Unread post by DSCoins »

Water_and_Dirt wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:13 pm Thanks , I'm doing a little research and found a video that this type of coins are worth something , is that true?
Where exactly did you read about this, and what did they call it?
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Water_and_Dirt

#5 Unread post by Water_and_Dirt »

DSCoins wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:05 pm
Water_and_Dirt wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:13 pm Thanks , I'm doing a little research and found a video that this type of coins are worth something , is that true?
Where exactly did you read about this, and what did they call it?

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#6 Unread post by DSCoins »

I am going to wait until Daniel, Paul, or Earl see this post, as I really do not want to give you any false answers.
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#7 Unread post by Paul »

OH MY!
People really need to stop watching these videos!
Hundreds if not thousands of dollars? Where do they come up with this?

Yes, there are coins that have been struck on rolled thin and thick stock,....... but this guy shows you a "Spooned" Lincoln cent in the beginning, calling it a thick rolled!

STOP WATCHING THESE VIDEOS!
This is what I meant about hurting the numismatic industry.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

The problem is these coins are not worth thousands and he shows dryer coins, coins that are NOT rolled thin or rolled thick planchets. If you think you have one then send it off to ANACS. You don't need a membership and they're fees are lower than the others.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

The first flag went up when this guy said the price these bring. The second went up when he showed a spooned cent (note you can see the details of the lettering on the cent are underneath the deliberately raised rim - dead giveaway).

Now I WISH they were hundreds and thousands b/c back in 1970 there were some quarters made on dime sock. Going through a lot of change as part of my grandfather's business, I believe we found half a dozen or so. Last I looked, (OK, its been a few years) they would fetch me a whopping 8.00 each! I see Heritage sold one for 28.00.

The picture you show of holding two dimes together does make it appear yours is on a thin rolled planchet. Check values SOLD at eBay/heritage. Typical quarters on dimes there now are 51.00 max.

Steer clear form the video guy. Just making vids for youtube money kickback evidently.

Oh...I stumbled onto your listing on eBay!

500.00 BIN

https://tinyurl.com/yzqn6jxm
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Water_and_Dirt

#10 Unread post by Water_and_Dirt »

Earle42 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:29 pm The first flag went up when this guy said the price these bring. The second went up when he showed a spooned cent (note you can see the details of the lettering on the cent are underneath the deliberately raised rim - dead giveaway).

Now I WISH they were hundreds and thousands b/c back in 1970 there were some quarters made on dime sock. Going through a lot of change as part of my grandfather's business, I believe we found half a dozen or so. Last I looked, (OK, its been a few years) they would fetch me a whopping 8.00 each! I see Heritage sold one for 28.00.

The picture you show of holding two dimes together does make it appear yours is on a thin rolled planchet. Check values SOLD at eBay/heritage. Typical quarters on dimes there now are 51.00 max.

Steer clear form the video guy. Just making vids for youtube money kickback evidently.

Oh...I stumbled onto your listing on eBay!

500.00 BIN

https://tinyurl.com/yzqn6jxm
Yeah I did post it , I know is way to high but it's just a little sales strategy that I've been learning throughout the years and it's just to see the number of people that would see the item and or if there's any watchers , eventually depending on the results I'll modify the price

Water_and_Dirt

#11 Unread post by Water_and_Dirt »

Daniel wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:27 am The problem is these coins are not worth thousands and he shows dryer coins, coins that are NOT rolled thin or rolled thick planchets. If you think you have one then send it off to ANACS. You don't need a membership and they're fees are lower than the others.
Can you tell me why does the weight of the coin is normal? when is definitely a thinner coin . Thanks

Chris G.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

You don't know much about mint errors and don't even understand the coin you have, but you list it at ebay for $500 trying to get a sucker to buy it or offer you money for it! Seriously! It's not worth anything until a reputable expert or grading company labels it as a mint error and even then it's not worth anything close to $500.

I am thinking of banning you from this forum. I don't condone such practices.

Paul

#13 Unread post by Paul »

"1999 D Roosevelt Dime Rolled Thin Planchet error but weights 2.27g , 👀 this coin is one of a kind , PCGS don't have it , NGC don't have it , so if you want to be the only one that has this unique coin here's the opportunity."

Really?
OH MY!
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

Paul, look at their other auctions, this is really sad. We've helping them and educating and they're posting this stuff and misrepresenting the coins.

Paul

#15 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:27 am Paul, look at their other auctions, this is really sad. We've helping them and educating and they're posting this stuff and misrepresenting the coins.
I did....
Does anyone know what Water & Dirt make?
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by Daniel »

If you think lowering this to $200 helps anything you're mistaken, this is not different than selling fake PCGS slabs and coins on etsy. You can go to Heritage sold auctions and look up sold on a rolled thin planchet errors and see what they go for.

PCGS not NGC can have this because it's an error and that us a baseless statement. ALL mint errors are one of a kind. You most certainly haven't watched enough of my videos. I teach the truth and you auctions are not the truth,

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#17 Unread post by DSCoins »

Paul wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:46 am
Daniel wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:27 am Paul, look at their other auctions, this is really sad. We've helping them and educating and they're posting this stuff and misrepresenting the coins.
I did....
Does anyone know what Water & Dirt make?
Sticky, dirty, rust creating, MUD. Especially if it's comprised of Red Clay.
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Water_and_Dirt

#18 Unread post by Water_and_Dirt »

Wait why are you guys saying all this? Daniel i think you guys are jumping into conclusion really fast here , there is a big difference in selling a counterfeit product and a error coin that was made in the us mint , so what is the wrong thing that I'm doing here? , There's nothing wrong or illegal for anyone to put a price on a product anywhere in the market , or are you guys are going to tell me that you guys are going to get upset if someone decides to sell a 1909 s vdb for $10 dollars? Or only if they sell it for $10,000? , Or did I say or put on any of my items that it was checked by a coin expert or that I asked on a coin forum ? , I don't understand why this an issue?

Water_and_Dirt

#19 Unread post by Water_and_Dirt »

Daniel wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:39 am You don't know much about mint errors and don't even understand the coin you have, but you list it at ebay for $500 trying to get a sucker to buy it or offer you money for it! Seriously! It's not worth anything until a reputable expert or grading company labels it as a mint error and even then it's not worth anything close to $500.

I am thinking of banning you from this forum. I don't condone such practices.
Look Daniel if you decide to kick me out of this forum it's really up to you , one thing I have heard from you before in a couple of your videos and please just think about it first before you get upset because I know you get upset with some YouTube comments and I understand , the YouTube is full of trolls and I have seen YouTubers close their accounts for this , anyway you have said that a graded coin doesn't give a coin it's value or that a graded coin doesn't mean is worth more , and I'm not lying 🤥 , 🙂 but seriously I'm not doing anything illegal here or ebay , if I do ebay will take my post down , I mean seriously Daniel you have to understand as a seller , sorry let me give you an example I know I'm going out tex but one day I was selling a truck 🚛 for $5,000 also I was selling a ATV for $1200 and you won't believe the offers I was getting 😄 $3000 for the truck and $500 hundred for the ATV , so I did a test post selling the truck and the ATV as a bundle and you won't believe how the people was willing to pay more for any of the two if I would sell them separately do to the post offer was only to be sold as a bundle not individually

Water_and_Dirt

#20 Unread post by Water_and_Dirt »

Hey if you guys decide I need to be kicked out well thank you very much for all the comments and really i have learned a lot here and made some grumpy friends too 🙃🤭 , anyway if stay I'll keep bugging I guess soooo 😎✌️ Chris out .

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#21 Unread post by Daniel »

You can't compare trucks or anything else to this coin and this isn't the only coin you're misrepresenting. You have no idea what error IF it's an error so you cannot sell a coin like this. Ebay doesn't always take fraudulent listings down either and I NEVER said graded coins are not worth more. You're using straw man tactics to justify what you're doing.

You need to send your coin off to someone at CONECA or PCGS or NGC, then when you know what is going on with it then you can sell it IF it's a mint error. But you would base your price not on a whim but on actual sold examples. I don't condone selling coins any other way. Struck on thin rolled planchet dimes NEVER sell for $200, no reason to list it like that either and as stated you have no idea whats going on with this coin.