Whats these fine coin professionals think

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
KylefromNC
Coining Around

Whats these fine coin professionals think

#1 Unread post by KylefromNC »

What we got here??
Fine quarter
Fine quarter

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: Whats these fine coin professionals think

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hello and welcome . Do you have a pic. of the other side ?
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

While we do ask people post a pic of both sides, what you show here appears to be what is known as a greaser, or struck through grease coin. Dies are polished to extend their usefulness. Sometimes the polishing compound is left in side the die's engraved areas so when a coin is truck, the compound prevents the metal from getting up into the details of the die.

Typically there has to be quite a bit of detail missing for it to bring any premium. Since a greaser is made from random circumstances, there is no standard to tell what it might sell for. It would be good to check eBay SOLD items to find a quarter with a similar amount of missing details to get an idea of what someone would pay. Just saying, don't be expecting a huge payoff though. :(
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#4 Unread post by Paul »

What is the weight of this coin?

(I do see a full rim gutter here, what does the reeding on the exterior edges look like?)
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

KylefromNC
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by KylefromNC »

Well I'm so glad to inform you this coin has been graded by pcgs and is NOT STRICK THROUGH GREASE. It is a die adjustment error coin

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by muswell65 »

Last edited by muswell65 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

Let me help you with a bit of understanding:

I was a teacher for many years. I believed in making a new test each year in my classes despite the curriculum being the same. That means I have made an awful lot of tests on a professional level. One course I took in college was about how to structure a legitimate test to mean something.

Lets say I gave you a math test. The problem on the paper looks very simple: 10 + 10 = ?

You write 20 and turn it in. Whereupon I tell you you failed the test b/c I kept back some info that the test was in base 2 (binary) so the correct answer is actually 100. BTW, I was a math teacher and 100 is correct in binary.

Obviously you say, “Hey! that isn’t fair! I didn’t have all the information I needed!” Don’t I at least get partial credit for what appears to be a normal math test with an answer of 20?”

You are correct. It was NOT a legitimate test and actually told nothing except I was unable to assess your math knowledge properly.

So what?

You, a newbie to the forum, post the REV of a coin and ask what the error is.

Typically all newbies post only ONE side - the funky side - and we are always telling them the instructions say to post both.

You obviously appeared to be following the typical, “I am in a hurry, I don’t want to read the instructions, here is a coin with a funky side” pattern of posting and asking questions.

Meanwhile you were secretly concealing you wanted the answer in binary (based on two sides, not just one)

A greaser will be one sided b/c of how it occurs. A die adjustment strike will have both sides affected b/c of the nature of how it occurs.

Surely had BOTH sides looked this odd, this forum newbie would have posted both. It just makes sense.

And the next day after giving an answer to a hurried forum newbie, I find I was not given half of the information in order to give the correct answer. Yup, 10 + 10 is 100, but I/we wasn’t (weren’t) told the underlying rule - binary or two sides.

Your test has shown:
1. You need to make sure you understand an entire situation before trying to give a test.
2. You do know how take advantage of people willing to give their time freely to help legitimate people who want to know more about the coin hobby.
3. I am someone who is interested in educating anyone/everyone needing it and helping to open their eyes to the way life has taught me to see what is around me.

Your initial post also gives me the impression you are someone young - like my high school students -who excelled in this type of scenario.

I will be the FIRST to let you know I have been wrong on this forum (and many other places) b/c I am not all- knowing. The day I consider myself to have “arrived” is the day I have had life experiences let me know I am still at the very lowest rung of wisdom/knowledge.

My enjoyment is education no matter what the subject: Coins or helping people understand what the term holistic means.

And I thank you b/c you have made me rethink whether I have been being selfish. My desire to please people by supplying their desired fast answer has been somewhat motivated by my not wanting to have to revisit the same post at a later date, (after asking for both sides of the coin be shown), and finding I end up posting the same answer I was going to post at the start anyway.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by muswell65 »

Not a math teacher, but an engineer who loves math :)

Earle's math test annotated in subscript with the radix (base) for each number in the equation:

Earles_Math_Test.JPG
Earles_Math_Test.JPG (10.4 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

Ya gotta love math teachers (full disclosure - my wife is a math teacher!)...

Best,
Jeff

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

@ Jeff...
Ya gotta love math teachers (full disclosure - my wife is a math teacher!)...
It "figures"😜😄

Paul

#10 Unread post by Paul »

How about this one:

E=Mc2
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by muswell65 »

Paul wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:34 pm How about this one:

E=Mc2
LOL! I appreciated Earle's analogy in this case, didn't mean to muddy the waters! Back to his point, it was a good one :)

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#12 Unread post by DSCoins »

Paul wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:34 pm How about this one:

E=Mc2
That one is easy E=Energy, M=Mass, C=speed of light squared. That is basically all equations when it comes to energy. E=I2 /R
Energy (Power)= inductance Squared over Resistance. Spent 20 years using all that math that everyone said you would neve use
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Funky Strike
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by Funky Strike »

This conversation is WAY too smart for me! (But I did enjoy the "Funky" reference!)
Attachments
01.jpg

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#14 Unread post by muswell65 »

LOL! The board members here never cease to crack me up, on top of sharing their coin expertise. I repeat - what a great forum!

Paul

#15 Unread post by Paul »

I know everybody knows these:

V(x,p) = v(x)w(p)

N(t) = N0e-λt

(cα ⋅ p̂ + Βmc2) ψ = iℏ δψ/δt

Δ λ/ λ = v/c

K = 2NuP K = u

Daniel, I know this doesn't have to do with numismatics but I couldn't resist.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#16 Unread post by DSCoins »

V(x,p) = v(x)w(p) I do not recognize this one

N(t) = N0e-λt Radioactive decay

(cα ⋅ p̂ + Βmc2) ψ = iℏ δψ/δt Not sure what this one is for, but it appears to have some thing to do with Quantum Mechanics because of ψ which if I remember my training has to do with Electron Function

Δ λ/ λ = v/c This one is about figuring the Doppler shift.

K = 2NuP K = u Do not know this one

I only know N(t) = N0e-λt and Δ λ/ λ = v/c because I used them working on satellite related equipment and cesium clocks (originally used the half life of Cesium to keep time, now it is cesium-133 gas passing through a microwave chamber. (accurate to within 1 sec over darn can't remember but is is somewhere between 40-60 million years). Of course we had cheat sheets (scientific calculator with the formula pre-programed) with fill in the blanks to get the right answer.
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

MarcoAmara
Coining Around

#17 Unread post by MarcoAmara »

Paul wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:40 am I know everybody knows these:

V(x,p) = v(x)w(p)

N(t) = N0e-λt

Δ λ/ λ = v/c

K = 2NuP K = u

Daniel, I know this doesn't have to do with numismatics but I couldn't resist.
Been used to this.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Earle42 »

Actually...yes. In fact, though you might think I am making it up for the forum, I am not. I was reading about the quantum mechanics variant of this equation the other day (one of Stephen Hawking's books) known as the Schroedinger equation. Your equation is the relativistic version which I had forgotten the name of so I cheated and looked it up: the Dirac Equation. Man...its been 1983 since I was in Dr. Roach's nuclear physics class! That's a long time ago.

Admittedly, I have seen and used some of the other equations in the past as well, but I could not have told you what they were without looking them up. After DS explained what they were, some rang a distant bell in my memory, but I would not have known them otherwise. I do remember using the radioactive decay rate formula and Doppler shift...but its been way too long!

The problem is I went into teaching high school texts which never get this deep so all that egghead stuff was put too deep into storage and leaked out while I was not thinking about it.

And...BTW...I will be one who stands up and says the emperor has no new clothes when it comes to some of Dr. Hawkings ideas. Yikes!

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#19 Unread post by DSCoins »

Schrodinger equation has another theorem is Schrodinger box which is if you place a cat in a box, once inside the box it lives in two states. 1: The cat is dead 2: the cat is alive. It lives within these two states until someone opens the box.
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Unread post by Earle42 »

This is the problem with theoretical "sciences." Shcrodinger knew the cat was not both at the same time. But the idea concerns the mathematical probabilities being unknown due to quantum physics and relativity. Its about when quantum mechanics let's go and allows reality do what it wants.

The even worse part is we talk of these two theories as if they are scientific fact as well (weird - been reading this lately!). The two theories are mutually exclusive but both have to be true the way we "understand" the subject. So we keep expounding on them and going deeper!

Unfortunately now things like this have led to "scientific FACT" can now be discerned allegedly by probability and not reality in observation. The search was on for the "Higg's boson," and I got tired of seeing reports of "we found it!" and people saying they had when all they really had was a chance they did calculated to be within acceptable limits.

Oh well.. I wonder what the probability an invalid test would lead the forum to talking over quantum mechanics is ,and whether or not its alive or dead when we are online?