1972 IKE US Mint Proof Dollar (Scratches on Proof)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Soaru678
Coin Collector

1972 IKE US Mint Proof Dollar (Scratches on Proof)

#1 Unread post by Soaru678 »

OK guys a quick question about US mint Proofs. I have two 1972 Brown box I dollars from my Dad's collection. Upon close examination I found two scratches on IKE's neck. The coin otherwise looks untouched. My question is does this happen all the time to proofs? The coin is not graded BTW.
PHO00000.JPG

finalfantasy
Coinasieur

Re: 1972 IKE US Mint Proof Dollar (Scratches on Proof)

#2 Unread post by finalfantasy »

I have some questions for you. Did you or your dad take this out of the original packaging? If so then everyone here will tell you it is post mint damage. If it was not taken out of the original packaging then those are original marks from the mint that might still down grade the overall grade of the coin.

Soaru678
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by Soaru678 »

The coin is in the original mint slab. Never out of the slab or the box from once or twice to look at. So the scratches one on left and one on right neck from the mint. My question is about how common this happens on proof coins. I believe this will take down the value as you say.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

Sorry to ask, but have to...are the scratches on the coin itself or the plastic? Typically the plastic is what gets scratched. Even nowadays proof coins can be sometimes found with damage from the mint. I have returned coins to the mint from an order for this reason, and they sent me more damaged ones, which they also had to pay postage to get returned. The first set even had multiple hairs inside the plastic as well as what looked like a lot dandruff!!!

But eventually I got some good ones.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Soaru678
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by Soaru678 »

Earle42: Yes the scratches are on the coin. I'll get a close up of the deepest one and post it in the morning.

Soaru678
Coin Collector

#6 Unread post by Soaru678 »

PHO00002.JPG
PHO00010.JPG
Here are two more photos. Close up and a bit away. Can see the metal is scratched. This is the deeper of the two scratches. The scratch also goes on to the south (left on this photo) but is lighter on the field surface. I was unable to get the lighting work to show this. Any way the plastic is clean and only has micro scratches that it would get from handling. I cannot see these scratches without the microscope. The question is: Does this happen all the time to proof coins from the mint? Maybe? once in a while? Only on Friday at 3:59 PM? I guess quality control in 1972 may have been lacking a bit.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

Looks like it's on the holder.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

Does this happen all the time to proof coins from the mint? Maybe? once in a while? Only on Friday at 3:59 PM? I guess quality control in 1972 may have been lacking a bit.
It can happen, yes. I have gotten modern ones from the mint with damage. I remember at least one rim ding and am trying to remember what obvious damage was on a half dollar I had. I do not think they had robots doing the work in 1972, but even WITH robots nowadays damage can occur.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?