Annual Uncirculated Dollar Set - What dollar coins would you want in a 2022 if it were made

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Coinenthusiast
Coining Around

Annual Uncirculated Dollar Set - What dollar coins would you want in a 2022 if it were made

#1 Unread post by Coinenthusiast »

Greetings all!

I am a new member and I thought I would share a US Mint product that was sold sporadically from 2007 - 2016: Annual Uncirculated Dollar Set. it offered a ASE Uncirculated W and from one mint Unc Presidential Dollars and Sac/Native American dollars. The packaging was sturdy but not bulky and affordable at the time. It is a shame they do not offer such a product today. See pics of the 2013 one I got on ebay. My plan is to get the 2012 and 204 to have the ASE W (but also the other coins as IO have only the proofs).
Reverses 2013 Annual Uncircualted Dollar set.jpeg
If the Annual Uncirculated Dollar set product were revived and you had to chose up to 7 distinct dollar coins in it what would you want? I am assuming keeping an ASE would be a good idea as well as a Native American dollar but anything else? And be aware the 2021 Morgans and Peace are NOT technically commemorative coins according to the US Mint (something to do with accelerating the legislation to create and sell these) so they may become an annual issue. But again tell me what you would want in a dollar coin sampler such as the Annual Uncirculated Dollar set served from 2007 - 2016.
Attachments
Obverses Annual Unc Dollar Set 2013.jpeg
2013 Annual Unc Dollar set.jpeg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Annual Uncirculated Dollar Set - What dollar coins would you want in a 2022 if it were made

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Welcome
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: Annual Uncirculated Dollar Set - What dollar coins would you want in a 2022 if it were made

#3 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hello and Welcome !
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Matthudson »

Welcome!

America's biggest pot holes series. Or classic horror movie locations... that would work too.

finalfantasy
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by finalfantasy »

I say they cull the cheesy "Golden dollar" coins and go all in on silver bringing back the Morgan and Peace dollars as reverse proofs in this set and limit it to 100K sets, one purchase per household. That would be more epic than bringing them back in 2021. To keep with consistency of 2021 you'll get the set in 2023.

finalfantasy
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by finalfantasy »

I say they cull the cheesy "Golden dollar" coins and go all in on silver bringing back the Morgan and Peace dollars as reverse proofs in this set and limit it to 100K sets, one purchase per household. That would be more epic than bringing them back in 2021. To keep with consistency of 2021 you'll get the set in 2023.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

Welcome😊

Sorry...I don't like the small ones at all and never have.

Although I admit a few of the Sac's REV designs I do like for their artistic value.

They only lose value over time being made from non-precious metals, and they are a pain to use/carry.

The ASE is great IMO, and a continuation of Morgans would be nice IMO.

BTW...no negative there...I can understand how a person could enjoy making a set of them. Its just not me!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by Matthudson »

Earle42 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:14 pm They only lose value over time being made from non-precious metals, and they are a pain to use/carry.
Plus they freak out at the mere mention of the word "atmsphere". "Golden" dollars that turn to lead and pennies that melt in the rain. Here we are with our fine nation's coinage these days!

Coinenthusiast
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by Coinenthusiast »

Well so far we have gotten one good suggestion and mostly everyone complaining about the golden dollars. Actually it was Dave Bowers one of the owners of Stack Bowers coin and currency dealers - one of the premiere ones in the US - that admired the Sac dollars although he was dismayed by how it aged.

I will agree the Presidential dollar designs are uniformly mediocre to ugly. The mintages being in the tens of millions and the limited use of dollar coins in the US will never make this a series to gain value. Your best bets are the Native American dollars after 2011, Sac dollars after 2001 with the 2008 featuring a nice mintage around 1.5 million, and for now the American Innovation dollar coins. And also note there are a few valuable edge lettering errors in the Presidential dollar series.

So, instead of the focus on bashing the golden dollars - some of them collectors as myself do like --- tell me what would be your ideal Annual Uncirculated Dollar Set. You know your ideal of an ideal set does not need to be just coins.

OH, one of the coin series I dislike very much are Morgans - a frumpy woman on one side and a anorexic buzzard on the other side. It only looks good as toned Proof or high Mint state coin. And plus these dollar coins mostly sat around in bank vaults underused just as the Presidential golden dollars are today.
Another fact about them is Morgans were not that popular with numismatists until the early 1960's. Also look at the woman the Morgan was modeled upon and you can see Mr. Morgan was not that great of a designer, he literally ages the model by 30 years and the depiction to me seems almost cartoonish. https://www.moderncoinmart.com/info-vau ... coins.html

Ok I am done bashing Morgans. My ideal Annual Unc Dollar set would actually be Annual Enhanced Uncirculated Dollar Coin and Currency Set:

ASE W mint with an enhanced unc finish (see the 2013 one the US Mint did and has not repeated this finish since)
Enhanced Unc Native American dollar coin
Enhanced Unc Peace dollar
A $1 dollar star note UNC.

It would be a little expensive but worth it if the mintage limit were kept to 100,000 or less.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

Well so far we have gotten one good suggestion and mostly everyone complaining about the golden dollars.
Actually since this was a conversational type post, I was discussing why I cannot answer what would be my desires if the set was remade. I didn't want you to think your post was being ignored, and I admit I was pretty much thinking the answers for what you seek would be sparse since few people I have ever encountered on forums are collectors of these dollar coins. So I thought I would try to kickstart some conversation.
...BTW...no negative there...I can understand how a person could enjoy making a set of them. Its just not me!
I said that to let you know I was not complaining...just giving my personal opinion.
OH, one of the coin series I dislike very much are Morgans - a frumpy woman on one side and a anorexic buzzard on the other side. It only looks good as toned Proof or high Mint state coin. And plus these dollar coins mostly sat around in bank vaults underused just as the Presidential golden dollars are today.
Admittedly, I always thought the effigy on the OBV was a bit masculine looking. Just me. But the business of the design, I think, is what makes me not mind the coins. The historic times they witnessed (while sitting in bank vaults...true😂) I think is why I do like them. They are a lot more artistic than most modern designs (by far).

Dollar coins have never been wanted by the US public...except us nutty collectors!😊
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by Triple C »

IMHO, I would also remove the ASE from the annual set and wish upon the stars for "The Big Seven" silver dollars, intended for circulation Annual Set:
1. Flowing hair
2. Draped Bust
3. Liberty Seated
4. Trade
5. Morgan
6. Peace
7. Ike
All in 90% Ag, like the original (excluding Ike) and all in Proof finish. Although I love the ASE, it was never issued for circulation which is why it wouldn't qualify for this dream team annual set. One can dream right!!!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Earle42 »

...(excluding Ike)...
NOOOOoooooo! I like the reference to the moon landing on the REV - always loved that design!

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#13 Unread post by Triple C »

Lol...I like it too! I meant the Ike was not initially made 90% Ag. Couldn't do that to Mr. Eisenhower!😀

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Earle42 »

😂

True - so its about time we get a 90% Ike! We have the 40%, why not go all the way?

I admit I was hoping for 50th anniversary coin in 2021 for the Ikes also. I understand it being eclipsed by the Morgan and Peace issues this year.

Just hard to believe the mint would miss a chance to make a buck by...making a buck.

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#15 Unread post by Triple C »

Lol...That would have been fantastic!!!

finalfantasy
Coinasieur

#16 Unread post by finalfantasy »

Earle42 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:05 pm
Admittedly, I always thought the effigy on the OBV was a bit masculine looking. Just me. But the business of the design, I think, is what makes me not mind the coins. The historic times they witnessed (while sitting in bank vaults...true😂) I think is why I do like them. They are a lot more artistic than most modern designs (by far).

Dollar coins have never been wanted by the US public...except us nutty collectors!😊
So you don't like the Morgan dollars what about the Peace Dollars? Would you be in favor of copying France and put Hercules on the coin? Or maybe we could out do them with Zeus or the artist's depiction of God himself?