Spot price find - 1892 Barber Quarter

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Matthudson
Coin Wizz

Spot price find - 1892 Barber Quarter

#1 Unread post by Matthudson »

From a fellow collector's junk box, a Good 1892 Barber quarter. A little peril at the rim on the obverse can be seen through the mylar window of the 2x2.

He establishes that today's melt would be $4.17. I offer him $6.00 for it, because I'm not cheap. I am not a monster - beast yes - monster, no. He answers that $5.00 is plenty. Okay.

S2100106.JPG

See? I play nice...

I get the thing home, open the 2x2 and slip the coin in a soothing "welcome to your new home" acetone bath. The spotting all around the rim slides right off. Most of what appears to be nicks are just dark spots. Also, a nasty spot on the cheek melts right away.

I look at the reverse a little closer and - DAMMIT!

S2100115.JPG

Do you see it?

S2100124.JPG

There - faint, but there, like a glaring zit you get the day before prom is a big, fat, "S". Nooooooo!

I'm afraid I am cheap. I can't help it; it's a curse! :D

Earl, ya GOTTA help me! Take it. Please! I can't bear the GUILT!
Last edited by Matthudson on Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:09 am, edited 5 times in total.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: Spot price find - 1892 Barber Quarter

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Nice Find and Buy ! Thanks for sharing . : )
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Matthudson »

I'll slip him another $5 - $10 next time I see him.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

Earl, ya GOTTA help me! Take it. Please! I can't bear the GUILT!
😅
Well Matt, I applaud your attempt at honesty and integrity.

But sorry, this time I cannot help you out. Remember, this forum is to teach people how to help themselves, and I feel (JUST IN THIS ONE INSTANCE!!!) it would be best if you took responsibility and a little guilt until you can make this deal square.

As an official coin collector psychiatrist (hey, I know of companies who set themselves up as THE experts years ago and people bought into it [pun intended] ... so why can't I try?), I will be sending you a bill for only 20.00 for this advice.

Or...you could send me an equivalent in coins such as...oh...let's say...an 1892-S Barber quarter?
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by Matthudson »

Why don't you start a business? You could call it, uh, I dunno, "Psychiatrist Coin Guy Services". Do you want me to check with the copyright office to see if the abbreviation is available?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

On the serious side it is difficult for me to buy coins when someone insist on their price even though I know it's worth more, then find out later it was an even better deal. It is good you would offer his more, but he might not even accept that.

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Matthudson »

I see it that way too. However, I did not have a price guide with me at the time. As the holder was marked "1892" and offered as junk silver, along with 5 others (And a sweeet BU 1934 Buffalo Nickel for $40!), I did not inspect it particularly closely. I did not discover the "s" mint mark until I got home. Even then, I did not identify the 1892-S as a more desirable date until I looked it up. These are members of my coin club, and therefore friends. Naturally, I'm going to point it out to him next week. I also sold him some of my coins at well under wholesale. If he still declines, I'll bring in a box of donuts to the meeting for everyone.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

@ Matt. Hmmm...PCGS...hey - it has a catchy ring to it! Want to start issuing, I dunno...green bean shaped stickers of approval to the diagnoses I make? WE could make quite a bundle. You know...slab make/establish it and they will buy come!

OK.. Trying to be serious...
On the serious side it is difficult for me to buy coins when someone insist on their price even though I know it's worth more, then find out later it was an even better deal. It is good you would offer his more, but he might not even accept that.
These are members of my coin club, and therefore friends. Naturally, I'm going to point it out to him next week. I also sold him some of my coins at well under wholesale. If he still declines, I'll bring in a box of donuts to the meeting for everyone.
When I first got into the insulator collecting official hobby I kept hearing people say, its not about the insulators, its about the people. Now 25 or so years later, I could give you stories (don't worry, I won't) about how the regulars in that hobby are pretty much a giant family. Many stories like you have shared, Matt, about going back and making things right to the unsuspecting have happened as well as what Daniel said ...people refusing the extra cash. These people are some of my closest friends.

BTW - Even if you do not collect insulators, but you enjoy finding out there are amazing things in this world you had no concept existed...come out for a fascinating experience! This is the best show there is, held annually, and its local to some of us on the forum (Springfield, OH). November 5-7.

I have had several friends over the years go just for a new experience (and some have come back even though they don't collect them!)
https://www.insulators.info/shows/springfield/

Ask just about anyone (dealer/front desk person) and they can point you to me. And...we do have coin collectors in our midst. Not necessarily any dealers or sellers there though, but I have talked coins there for hours! 😊
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?