1914 St. Gauden's

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Banditjones
Coining Around

1914 St. Gauden's

#1 Unread post by Banditjones »

Here are a couple more pictures of the 1914 St. Gaudens I had ask this forum their opinion on authentication. I want to thank you for you reply and I plan to have it graded soon
1914 St Gauden's Ob.
1914 St Gauden's Ob.
Rev
Rev
Side
Side

finalfantasy
Coinasieur

Re: 1914 St. Gauden's

#2 Unread post by finalfantasy »

Did you weigh it yet? Also you may want to take it to a dealer that has a gun that can identify the metallic content before taking a chance spending your money to get it graded. Mind if I ask how much you paid for it? If it was well under spot at the time then it most likely is fake as St. Gaudens Coins go for over spot even in less than uncirculated condition.

Banditjones
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by Banditjones »

The coin weighs 1.1 ounce or 33 grams. I payed about $100 over spot at that time, late 1990s. It came from Ebay seller that lived in California. Yea I know. Again I do not want an authentication or grade, only opinions. I hope thats ok!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

Before you put you out the money, do post a weight for it. A thickness will also help b/c , in order to make the proper weight, must have a different thickness to make them as heavy as gold.

And as has been suggested, see if a local dealer has the equipment to check the metal content.

Also while much better, these pictures are still a might blurry, and although the REV is from directly above, the OBV picture is slightly angled. I did not yet do an overlay with them.

I also admit the OBV has mushy details enough and looks enough off in minor details placement to make me think its a fake, but the REV looks better. The "off" things my eye catch could be being photographically introduced (especially since its slightly angled). 😊

You would not need to start a new thread to post them as this is a continuing discussion.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

finalfantasy
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by finalfantasy »

I agree with Earle about the grading. The OBV does look fake but perhaps we need better pictures of it? It could just be worn and the REV is redeeming but again the REV is easier to fake than the OBV. I think you should still get it metal tested to be sure. If it comes back real then its really not worth getting it graded as you have that information. The only purpose of getting it graded is to make it easier to resell as others may have the same question about the OBV.

Banditjones
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by Banditjones »

This is my last post as I have been asked not to post here anymore, but I wanted to update on this St. Gaudens. It was graded AU 50 by PCGS.
Have a great life people!

JTCC
Coin Guru

#7 Unread post by JTCC »

Banditjones wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:07 pm This is my last post as I have been asked not to post here anymore
??????????
U.S. cent lover!

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#8 Unread post by Paul »

:confusion-scratchheadyellow:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

No one has asked you not to post again. It would have had to have been Daniel, Paul, or myself.

Would you share with us a picture of your newly slabbed coin?
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

No one ask you to stop posting here. I am not sure why you're saying that but doing that like this is just drama.

Banditjones
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by Banditjones »

Not sure where we got crossed up however I do have several coins to discuss with you. Again I probably read something incorrect with these old eyes. Please forgive me.

Banditjones
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by Banditjones »

Thank you for your patience!
This is just back from PCGS
1914 St Gaudens Graded
1914 St. Gaudens Obverse
1914 St. Gaudens Obverse
1914 Reverse
1914 Reverse

JTCC
Coin Guru

#13 Unread post by JTCC »

Banditjones wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:55 pm Thank you for your patience!
This is just back from PCGS
1914 St Gaudens Graded
20220211_181705.jpg20220211_181721.jpg
good for you! :D
U.S. cent lover!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Earle42 »

:clap: Nice! :banana-dreads:

Thanks for sharing the pics with us :)

I went back and compared your first pics to these. In your first ones I think it was the OBV picture not being straight above as well as lighting that made it look suspicious to me. As Paul always reminds us, pictures are not a good way to try to verify something!

Paul

#15 Unread post by Paul »

:clap: :dance:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator