1907 10 dollar indian gold eagle crack NGC slab

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
renech
Coining Around

1907 10 dollar indian gold eagle crack NGC slab

#1 Unread post by renech »

Hello I am a new member and I need opinions on a 1907 10 Dollar Indian NGC MS 63 that I've purchased in eBay. When I received the item the slab was crack in front and on the sides please see images this most likely happen by the postal services. The dealer did a terrible job in packaging the item consequently the slab came broken. My question is should I keep it or return it? The dealer offer a discount don't know how much? Also the dealer indicated that will send it to another local source that can get the reholdering done, the problem is that I don't know how long will it take? Anyway I would like to hear what are your advice?

Kindly
Rene Chavez
Attachments
1907Indian$10a.jpg
1907Indian$10c.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1907 10 dollar indian gold eagle crack NGC slab

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Welcome

Wow, I've never seen that much damage from shipping.
Definitely needs to be re-holdered.......

Do you have pictures of the original shipping package?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

If it was me, and since you have before and after pics:

1. I would let the seller know you would appreciate him contacting the mail service and having them taking responsibility for the damage. It takes a lot to break a case like this..in hand it takes at least a pair of pliers. I know some people breaking out coins I have read about suggest wrapping the slab in a towel and the slab with a hammer to crack it. This package was hit with something hard and heavy.

2. If the seller is willing to do all this and offers a rebate, then make sure you do an itemized list for the seller of the actual cost (don't forget shipping costs and membership cost) you would have to go through to have NGC re-slab it. That cost would be a legitimate rebate to you since you will still have only paid the price you two "agreed upon" by your winning his auction.

3. eBay will generally side with the seller in case like this since its obvious the slab was damaged before you got it. The seller should be made aware of this also if they are not willing to work with you.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

renech
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by renech »

Hello thanks for the advice. The seller indicated that he will refund me $100. I guess that should cover the NGC membership cost, re-slab and shipping? As indicated he place the slab in a small size package with no bubble wrap please see small package. The small package envelop has some plastic wrap on the inside but really didn't do a good job in protecting the coin slab, especially an expensive coin. Question does the coin loses value if the slab is broken, I mean is graded MS 63?
Attachments
package.jpg

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by muswell65 »

I apologize for being a cynic, but assuming you have images from the original Ebay listing (perhaps the first one is?), carefully compare as many details as you can make out from the coin you thought you purchased, to the coin you received. As Paul & Earle have pointed out, it should be obvious from the shipping material if this was damaged after packaging. Is the damage to the slab sufficient to remove the coin? If it's just cosmetic damage, that's one thing. If it's sufficient for removal of the coin, that's entirely another. JMHO...

Paul

#6 Unread post by Paul »

Oh my!
Something happened here..... BAD
You can even see that they reprinted the tracking number on a new clean label.....
Try contacting the Post Office, and see what they say.......?
Unfortunately, these things usually take a LOOOOOOOOONG time to settle.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

renech
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by renech »

Hello the damage on the slab is cosmetic it does not touch or impact the coin itself.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

The seller indicated that he will refund me $100. I guess that should cover the NGC membership cost, re-slab and shipping?
Make sure you do the homework first by looking at the actual numbers. Look for hidden fees. Membership to be "able" to submit, 10.00 handling fee (whatever that is), 5.00 per coin without appropriate included description, shipping...
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

I've seen worse than this, but you need to work this out with the seller. We can't advise you on what to do here, just let the seller make it right and that's all you need to worry about is not losing your money.

renech
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by renech »

Hi I went to the NGC certification to verify the grade but got "Certificate no longer valid: Removed from holder." Here is the certification number 4224796-191. I have decided to return the item too many issues. Thanks everyone for your help.

Kindly
Rene Chavez

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Earle42 »

Smart decision IMO

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

I agree with Earle

thairunts
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by thairunts »

Agreed. Ebay supports buyers on "arriving damaged" or "not as described." You should be okay here.

Paul

#14 Unread post by Paul »

renech wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:37 pm Hi I went to the NGC certification to verify the grade but got "Certificate no longer valid: Removed from holder." Here is the certification number 4224796-191. I have decided to return the item too many issues. Thanks everyone for your help.

Kindly
Rene Chavez
I still don't fully understand this.…
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep