Inherited coins

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Jamkit
Coining Around

Inherited coins

#1 Unread post by Jamkit »

Does anyone know what these would be worth?
Myself and two siblings inherited a couple hundred pounds of coins/sets similar to this recently. Thanks in advance

The date purchased is 2007
Attachments
48535CB2-B088-46D8-8A79-08AE1C26C88A.jpeg

Jamkit
Coining Around

Re: Inherited coins

#2 Unread post by Jamkit »

Also wondering about these… thanks again…
There are hundreds/thousands of coins in this
collection and I know very little about the subject
Attachments
35DCEB07-86D8-46F0-AFBD-539C84FAAA19.jpeg

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by Iceresistance »

All I can say is that they are very valuable, & I if I were you, I would keep them since they are a priceless family heritage.

I'm next in line for my Grandmother's Coin Collection, my mother & twin Brother (Yes, I'm a twin) did not want to have it & I'm the only one who is willing to inherit it.
You are never too old to learn something new

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by muswell65 »

It would be worth your time and money to find a reputable coin dealer in your area and have the collection appraised. This is what I did when I inherited my father's collection. It was very enlightening, and a good head-start on learning something about the coins. Good luck!

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#5 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

All I can say , if you go to your LCS is to do your homework first as you are trying to do here but we can't assess a collection as huge as yours . Daniel ? What do you recommend ?
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

Daniel has a video about getting a coin collection assessed. You can find it online or he may chime in and link to it for you.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Jamkit
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Jamkit »

Than you to everyone! I/we didn’t realize our dad had a six drawer Craftsman toolbox full of these things…

One drawer has around a hundred or so of just these-

Haven’t made it to the other 5 drawers. Does anyone have a ballpark what these could be worth?

Thanks again
Attachments
EA7B5266-7985-403E-8DD4-000C4643A9BF.jpeg
3AD75891-C99E-4B5E-8971-3B06BB9404EF.jpeg

Clint W
Coinasieur

#8 Unread post by Clint W »

Man, that is a lot of quality coins!!
USAF Retired 1995-2018
Fairly new to collecting

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by muswell65 »

Each will have a different value based on its grade and overall mintage. Look here for some general guidance on values for Morgan Dollars:

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/morg ... ost-active

silverbul

#10 Unread post by silverbul »

if i were you, i would get a six pack, go to mintstate.com, coin value tab and look up the value of each coin. it will take hours but it will give you an idea of how muck your coins are worth. if you decide to sell, you will have a clue when someone says they will give you 400 for a 2000 dollar coin. not saying all people will do this but they are out there. at least you will have a starting point to negotiate. just my opinion.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

The MS64 Morgan Dollar in PCGS and NGC holders retail for $140, the common date $20 gold Liberty in PCGS or NGC holder average $2,000 retail give or take.
You can email me a list and I can do a ballpark appraisal of your coins. I own a coin shop so I do this for a living.

Also, you can search ebay sold auctions and get an idea on how much they sell for. Also here's my video on appraising coins.

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#12 Unread post by muswell65 »

Stand-up offer from the man who runs this site. I'd take him up on it...

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Earle42 »

The reason I first was amazed to find Daniel's channel is b/c Daniel I quickly learned Daniel is an honest man/dealer who will do you right. Watch some of his videos. It is very rare indeed to find a dealer who will tell you what he pays for coins and what he will put them up for sale for. He does this many times in his videos. I highly doubt you can do better than doing business with him.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

gmwatson
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by gmwatson »

Jamkit,

I'm new to the group, but I'm going to chime in anyway with a few steps I'd pursue right from the start.

That said, my comments are provided given your noting 'I know very little about the subject' so if I state the obvious or you already know of what I'm conveying, understand I'm trying to cover the basics as if you truly know little on how to operate with potentially valuable coins. And given the couple photos provided, chances are you may have a number of valuable coins so using a good approach to tackling the effort is important.

Step 1: Before anything, learn how to handle any 'loose" coins prior to doing so. When picking up a coin, hold the coin by the outside rim between your fingers. Do not pick up or hold any of the coins by placing the front face (known as the obverse) or back face (known as the reverse) between your fingers. The primary determining factor for the grading of a coin is its condition and fingerprints and oil from your skin can be left on a coin. This typically can be detrimental to achieving an optimum grade on a coin and can actually damage a coin if not addressed when handling as such.

Step 2: If you haven't done so already, I'd be getting a safe deposit box or safe (my preference) and getting all the coins in a secured location from here on out. I wouldn't be storing coins in a tool box, cardboard box, etc., etc.. If your father has collected any gold, better date coinage, etc... (the list could be endless), you may have a sizable sum of money (value) rolled up in this collection. And the last thing you want is to take the approach it can't be stolen because it can. Not to say it will, but don't approach the handling of the collection with a cavalier attitude. It may be a group of family heirlooms, but it's really no different than a pile of cash so treat as such. It should be in your pocket, in the bank or in a safe ... your choice.

Step 3: Once secured, you should probably begin to inventory the coins. You might purchase a 2022 Whitman Red Book for referencing coin types, dates, mint marks, grades and values. I'd then produce a comprehensive list noting as many of the preceding details you can discern for each coin (ex. 1878 (date) Morgan $1 (type), D (mint mark), MS63 (grade), $... (value). If you choose to purchase a Red Book, study it a little and you'll see how the book is organized and where these details can be referenced. The typical organization is structured to be read vertically (coin type, coin date and coin mint mark) and then horizontally (coin grade & coin value). The coins that are encapsulated in slabs should provide you all pertinent information to determining a coins value. For those coins not encapsulated, you should be able to discern the majority of detail information as noted, but you will need to be able to find the mint mark location on the coin and will also need to be able to grade such coins. One task relative easy, the other not so much. If you have a Red Book, it will typically show you where to find any mint marks should the coin have any. This information being listed under the coin type sections. Now for the tougher part if you're not familiar with grading coins. For this task, I think Daniel has a section within CoinHelpU that shows photos of coin types and the associated grades given a coins condition. You can also access a similar product put out by PCGS. It's called PCGS Photograde and can be accessed online.

I'd organize the list similar to the following:

Morgan Dollars: (Coin Type)
1878 (Year) / D (Mint Mark if it has one. Not all coins do. Many coins minted in Philadelphia do not) / MS63 (Grade) / $... (value). If it were I, I'd organize these items as columns in a spreadsheet so you might give that some thought if you can handle spreadsheets.
1879 (Year) ... and so on listing specific coins under the appropriate 'coin type' heading. This will help you when looking up values associated with each as the Red Book is so organized.

And finally as relates to producing an inventory and pricing. FYI, the Red Book can be a bit inflated when it comes to the valuing of your coins. There are other website resources such as the CoinHelpU mintstate.com, PCGS (Professional Coin Grading Service), CDN (Coin Dealers Newsletter), Numsidmedia, etc... that can be referenced for pricing based upon grade. For the sake of pulling together your initial pricing, I'd just use the pricing associated with the Red Book, just know know that the total will generally need to be discounted by some percentage.

Step 4: At this point, I'd try to get a few recommendations as to reputable, honest dealers in your area that could provide you with an appraisal. You could also seek an appraisal by a more regional firm not in your area, but your local coin dealer should be able to get you in the ballpark when valuing your father's collection. So at this point you should have your itemized inventory list, a general idea of value for the collection and hopefully a better understanding of the various details that essentially derive the valuing of each coin. If you have this, you'll be well on your way to being an informed care taker of your father's collection.

Step 5: And finally, you'll have to determine what will ultimately be deemed the disposition of the collection. This can take on a number of approaches such as keeping for future generations, distribution to other heirs, selling through auction, selling to a coin dealer, selling on online venues, etc... This whole step is almost a whole list in and of itself as it requires some understanding of the value added/work requirement of each. When at this point, it may be beneficial to revisit the forum for some more help on the subject.

As noted originally, this would be my take so use as you deem of value. And good luck to you ... hopefully this is of some help.

M

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

All great advice. In the event you don't have a local dealer or don't feel like dragging all this out of your house just yet. My email is portsmouthcoinsshop@gmail.com. All I need is a list by denomination with date, mint and grade of the coins. I will tell you the retail and what dealers might offer you If you're thinking in selling. If not, then you would still gain much insight.

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#16 Unread post by Matthudson »

Register as a user on Heritage Auctions' website. Ha.com. One of the neat features is that you can create a "My Collection" section and enter all your coins there to see them in one place. You get the wholesale and retail prices for each one. And it's free.

BrettS.
Coining Around

#17 Unread post by BrettS. »

I will leave this 2019 Redbook (Not totally current prices, but close!) here for you temporarily to do a quick lookup but this link will only work for a few days:
Keep on collecting...
Cheers!