eBay Bid on 1922 Grant Commemorative Half Dollar

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
telfeyan
Coining Around

eBay Bid on 1922 Grant Commemorative Half Dollar

#1 Unread post by telfeyan »

So far, my posts have not been eliciting comments. Hopefully this one will be different!

I have submitted a counteroffer to an MS63 (PCGS) Grant half dollar. The seller is asking $330 or best offer. I offered up $210 and explained that this value is the PCGS price guide value for that coin at MS63. The seller counteroffered it for $300.

I am wondering why he thinks I would pay $90 over retail for his coin! Please let me know what you think is going on here and what I should do. What do you think?

jaberwoke
Coining Around

Re: eBay Bid on 1922 Grant Commemorative Half Dollar

#2 Unread post by jaberwoke »

Simple: Your offer is less than he believes it's worth.

There was one that PCGS shows sold in May for $434. Up your bid with a counter offer or just move on. He has several other graded coins for sale and he's not in any hurry. You need to have the same attitude.

I believe it's called the "Grey Sheet" which is a monthly sales guide for dealers and collectors. You'll get a more realistic of sale prices in that (subscription only).

silverbul

#3 Unread post by silverbul »

go find another, see what the price is. buy or move on.

telfeyan
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by telfeyan »

Thanks all for the blunt, if not totally what I hoped to hear, but I am sure superb advice!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

The PCGS price guide is just that, a GUIDE, but it's not a constantly updated Bible for coin values, NGC has different values for the same coin as PCGS does. Sometimes Grey Sheet is more than NGC or PCGS retail, trust me on this, I appraised, buy and sell coins for a living. So the coin must be choice and he's holding out on his price or he fancies himself a market maker and sells for what he wants, or he's giving you his "I don't have to sell it" price.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

I am wondering why he thinks I would pay $90 over retail for his coin! Please let me know what you think is going on here and what I should do. What do you think?
I agree with what has been said.

There just is no way to know what the seller is thinking unless you...ask him!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

telfeyan
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by telfeyan »

Thanks to all for the great input. In the end, I declined the counter-offer and ended up purchasing a different sellers MS-65 (PCGS) Grant Commutative.

Slightly off topic, 2022 is the 200th anniversary of Grant's birth (a southern Ohio native, BTW Daniel). I hope the US Mint marks this event with a new commemorative honoring the man who saved the Union!

Bruce