DIY Photography Copy-Stand

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, please do not take images of your microscope screen or TV screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Marvic
Coin Expert

DIY Photography Copy-Stand

#1 Unread post by Marvic »

Motivated by the desire to meticulously categorize my coin collection with crisp high-definition imagery, I took the initiative several months ago to procure a copy stand.
However, upon realizing the steep costs associated with such stands, I opted to embark on a journey to craft my own DIY Axial Lighting Setup.

The driving force behind this undertaking? Have you ever laid eyes upon the numismatic marvels captured in mhonzell's beautiful coin pictures?
Or perhaps you've followed the consistent and enlightening posts by Earle42, sharing insights into the art of coin photography?
These inspirations kindled a fire within me to dive headfirst into this project.

For those well-versed in the craft, this method conjures an illusion wherein light emanates directly from the camera's lens.
It needs to be a Stable stand, then create a camera mount complete with sturdy brackets.
Fortunately, I already possess some of the necessary equipment for the project, including a Canon 7D Mark II, a monitor, a lens, and various requisite cables.

I've recently acquired a selection of items, depicted below in vivid detail.
As I advance in this venture, I shall keep this thread updated with a series of captivating images and insightful annotations.
With enthusiasm in abundance, let the journey commence!
Attachments
A - ONE - 24 X 24 X 1 inch Teak Board.jpg
B - ONE - 3-4 inch Pipe Flange.jpg
C - ONE - 30 inches 3-4 Iron Pipe.jpg
SIX - Base Cut 19L X 16W.jpg
SEVEN - Copy Stand Base Footing.jpg
EIGHT - Stand Ready for its Rig.jpg
Last edited by Marvic on Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: DIY Photography Copy-Stand

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Cool.
My Coin Shop Website: https://portsmouthcoinshop.com Portsmouth Coin & Currency Shop

My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/c/CoinHELPu CoinHelpu Youtube Videos

Marvic
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by Marvic »

Day 2
Below, you can find images of the accessories designed for the Copy Stand setup.
I've chosen the Canon 7D Mark II as the primary workhorse for this project, a user-friendly camera renowned for its 20.2 effective megapixels capture capability.
In place of the existing Canon camera lens (15-85mm) macro lens, I'm upgrading to the superior Tamron (90mm) macro lens for enhanced performance.
When it comes to lighting, I plan to experiment with various options, but currently, I'm inclined toward the Enegon 4000Ah LED light panel.
For monitoring and better focus, I'll utilize the Feelworld 7-inch Monitor, coupled with a new wireless shutter release to enhance control.
To maintain a dark backdrop, I've chosen a 12X16 Black canvas frame.
Additionally, I'll incorporate various hardware mounts and other practical accessories to complete this setup.
Significant from what I have read in researching this project, LEVELS.
Attachments
Copy Stand Camera 001.jpg
Copy Stand Camera Lens 001.jpg
Copy Stand Lighting 001.jpg
Copy Stand Lighting 002.jpg
Copy Stand Monitor 001.jpg
Copy Stand Shutter Release 001.jpg
Copy Stand Black background 001.jpg
Copy Stand Levels 001.jpg

Dutch-Tigger
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by Dutch-Tigger »

Marvic wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:55 am Day 2
Below, you can find images of the accessories designed for the Copy Stand setup.
I've chosen the Canon 7D Mark II as the primary workhorse for this project, a user-friendly camera renowned for its 20.2 effective megapixels capture capability.
In place of the existing Canon camera lens (15-85mm) macro lens, I'm upgrading to the superior Tamron (90mm) macro lens for enhanced performance.
When it comes to lighting, I plan to experiment with various options, but currently, I'm inclined toward the Enegon 4000Ah LED light panel.
For monitoring and better focus, I'll utilize the Feelworld 7-inch Monitor, coupled with a new wireless shutter release to enhance control.
Additionally, I'll incorporate various hardware mounts and other practical accessories to complete this setup.
Hey marvic, I love the cameras, Years ago I acquired a Cannon SX 40 and still enjoy it today. Never had attempted to try shooting coins with it bu maybe some time in the futch I will. I came across and interesting article on Photographing coins, and what caught my attention was the lighting aspect in the first part of the article. Lighting has been the Devil for me with shooting pics of my coins but am closing in on better results. As you are finding out through your en devour, "nothing really good comes out of very little effort' Except maybe the Lottery :lol:
I want to share the link with everyone to bring up the use of an illuminated flat panel ! I am going to pursue this possibility. WTG Dude can`t wait to see some results through your hard work. ;)
https://photovideolounge.com/776/how-to ... ete-guide/
Member of CONECA
"Don`t expect the respondent to lie and give answers the asker expects or desires"

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#5 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Dutch-Tigger wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:41 am
Marvic wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:55 am Day 2
Hey marvic, I love the cameras, Years ago I acquired a Cannon SX 40 and still enjoy it today. Never had attempted to try shooting coins with it bu maybe some time in the futch I will. I came across and interesting article on Photographing coins, and what caught my attention was the lighting aspect in the first part of the article. Lighting has been the Devil for me with shooting pics of my coins but am closing in on better results. As you are finding out through your en devour, "nothing really good comes out of very little effort' Except maybe the Lottery :lol:
I want to share the link with everyone to bring up the use of an illuminated flat panel ! I am going to pursue this possibility. WTG Dude can`t wait to see some results through your hard work. ;)
https://photovideolounge.com/776/how-to ... ete-guide/
I agree. " WTG Dude can`t wait to see some results through your hard work. ;)"
beavisbutthead.gif
beavisbutthead.gif (3.13 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
Can't wait for the next chapter. I'll bring the popcorn!!
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

Wow! This is exciting! Very much looking forward to the seeing some pics from this. And good on you for the DIY! I never understood the exorbitant price of copy stands. It is, as you are showing, something that can be tackled at home (and fun to do!).
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Marvic
Coin Expert

#7 Unread post by Marvic »

I worked on my project some more today... Fun, Fun, Fun...
My plan involves using a Light Pad Stand to tilt the glass within my picture frame at a 45-degree angle.
I had to make modifications to the stand in order to make it suitable for this particular purpose.
Notably, the glass stand is deliberately placed upside down, and I made alterations by cutting and eliminating specific portions of mesh and rods.
The procedure is illustrated in the accompanying image below.
Attachments
Light Pad Stand 001.jpg
Glass Base 001.jpg
Glass Base 002.jpg
Glass Base 003.jpg
Glass Base 004.jpg
Glass Base 005.jpg
Glass Base 006.jpg

Marvic
Coin Expert

#8 Unread post by Marvic »

A few more goodies came in today; I will mount some equipment later today and post... :D
Attachments
IMG_4490.jpg
IMG_4486.jpg
IMG_4494.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

Man you are really going all out on this! BTW, beautiful choice for the wood as well.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Marvic
Coin Expert

#10 Unread post by Marvic »

I managed to assemble the copy stand to some extent, though there's still room for adjustments in terms of lighting, focus, and other factors. I powered it up and took a shot of a cent that was lying around.
Earle, even the wood means nothing to the lady of the house; I take my pictures within my golf/art room; however, my wife isn't too keen on having this "junk," as she puts it inside the house. The original size of the cent photo was a whopping 560 MB, but I resized it down to a mere 920 KB. I’m looking for, and important to me, sharp focus high-resolution photos.
Now it's time to delve into experimenting with manual settings on the camera (RAW mode) and familiarize myself with the workings of Photoshop and PhotoScape, as recommended by one of our administrators, mhonzell.
I appreciate your patience and putting up with me as I document my way here through this journey.
Thank you,
Marvic….
Attachments
IMG_4562.jpg
IMG_4563.jpg
Copy Stand First Coin Original 001.jpg

Dutch-Tigger
Coin Expert

#11 Unread post by Dutch-Tigger »

Marvic wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:29 pm I managed to assemble the copy stand to some extent, though there's still room for adjustments in terms of lighting, focus, and other factors. I powered it up and took a shot of a cent that was lying around.
Earle, even the wood means nothing to the lady of the house; I take my pictures within my golf/art room; however, my wife isn't too keen on having this "junk," as she puts it inside the house. The original size of the cent photo was a whopping 560 MB, but I resized it down to a mere 920 KB. I’m looking for, and important to me, sharp focus high-resolution photos.
Now it's time to delve into experimenting with manual settings on the camera (RAW mode) and familiarize myself with the workings of Photoshop and PhotoScape, as recommended by one of our administrators, mhonzell.
I appreciate your patience and putting up with me as I document my way here through this journey.
Thank you,
Marvic….
Your at home plate, now the testing on many coins with us awaiting with baited breath :clap:
Member of CONECA
"Don`t expect the respondent to lie and give answers the asker expects or desires"

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Earle42 »

Wow! By the looks of it, it will also have a dishwashing attachment correct? :character-jestercolor:

THis is a great looking setup for sure. Could you please expaining something to me? I see the penny on the screen above the camera, and yet I do not see it on what appears to be a cylindrical black stage to put the coin on. So I am assuming what I am mistaking for a stage is some sort of hollow tube and the coin is down inside?

Since I know less about legitimate photography than the left does about the Constitution, would you mind explaining this to me?

I need to come up with a similar setup with the lighting for my el cheapo rig. I have always wanted to but just have way too many projects going on.
Actually I think I speak for all of us saying we are very glad you are sharing. Very educational and could inspire others as well. :handgestures-thumbup:

Marvic
Coin Expert

#13 Unread post by Marvic »

Earle42 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:21 pm Wow! By the looks of it, it will also have a dishwashing attachment correct? :character-jestercolor:

THis is a great looking setup for sure. Could you please expaining something to me? I see the penny on the screen above the camera, and yet I do not see it on what appears to be a cylindrical black stage to put the coin on. So I am assuming what I am mistaking for a stage is some sort of hollow tube and the coin is down inside?

Since I know less about legitimate photography than the left does about the Constitution, would you mind explaining this to me?

I need to come up with a similar setup with the lighting for my el cheapo rig. I have always wanted to but just have way too many projects going on.
Actually I think I speak for all of us saying we are very glad you are sharing. Very educational and could inspire others as well. :handgestures-thumbup:
Note: I neglected to include this earlier, but I want to extend my gratitude to Daniel for allowing me to use his website, enabling me to showcase this project to the COIN Help U Community, thank you, Daniel!
Correct Earle, the coin rests within the interior of the black hollow tube, which is, in fact, a coupling for a vacuum cleaner hose. :lol:

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Earle42 »

Interesting, but makes sense. No light coming at a an angle to make shadows.

Hoover or Kirby? JK!

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#15 Unread post by Paul »

:banana-dreads: :banana-dreads: :banana-dreads: :banana-dreads:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Marvic
Coin Expert

#16 Unread post by Marvic »

Dutch-Tigger wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:56 pm
Your at home plate, now the testing on many coins with us awaiting with baited breath :clap:
Dutch, I still have a few more things to do; hang in there.. :)

Earle, so you think I went overboard, check out the pic below... :o
Attachments
2023-08-19_09-30-59.jpg

Dutch-Tigger
Coin Expert

#17 Unread post by Dutch-Tigger »

Marvic wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:11 pm
Dutch-Tigger wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:56 pm
Dutch, I still have a few more things to do; hang in there.. :)

Earle, so you think I went overboard, check out the pic below... :o
HOLY PHOTORAMA Batman :shock:
Member of CONECA

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by mhonzell »

Superb results for your first attempt! Impressed!

Slight angle changes on the glass may be needed for different effects when looking at silver coins. (Sometimes copper, brass, or gold.) Definately for slabbed coins. Basically, the plastic will reflect light straight back at camera and hide the coin.

You can polish the plastic to get rid of scratches, but only do so in one direction. Then, use something like scratch doctor to help hide the polish marks. (You'll get rid of big scratches and introduce very fine parallel lines.) Additionally, a second light shining down the length of the polish marks will make them disappear. So, no more tube and different angle on glass for slabs. So much to learn! Have fun.

A white tube or black tube to get different reflections from the coin. A short tube will allow a little side light giving the coin some "life" instead of completely even lighting.

Most important... play around. You can always delete photos.

Love the stand!
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#19 Unread post by Paul »

mhonzell wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:45 am Superb results for your first attempt! Impressed!

Slight angle changes on the glass may be needed for different effects when looking at silver coins. (Sometimes copper, brass, or gold.) Definately for slabbed coins. Basically, the plastic will reflect light straight back at camera and hide the coin.

You can polish the plastic to get rid of scratches, but only do so in one direction. Then, use something like scratch doctor to help hide the polish marks. (You'll get rid of big scratches and introduce very fine parallel lines.) Additionally, a second light shining down the length of the polish marks will make them disappear. So, no more tube and different angle on glass for slabs. So much to learn! Have fun.

A white tube or black tube to get different reflections from the coin. A short tube will allow a little side light giving the coin some "life" instead of completely even lighting.

Love the stand!
This is exactly what I was talking about. It takes hours upon hours learning how to image coins with each set up.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Marvic
Coin Expert

#20 Unread post by Marvic »

mhonzell wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:45 am Superb results for your first attempt! Impressed!

Love the stand!
Thank you so much mhonzell; you and Earle twisted my arm in motivating me to get off my … and do something to enhance by categorizing my collection.
Yes, I still have much to learn, but this journey has been quite enjoyable as I build and enhance this project.
Your suggestion about polishing slabs was valuable. I currently store my slabs in clear plastic envelopes designed for this purpose, and they seem to be in good condition. However, a few might benefit from the extra care you mentioned.

Recently, I was watching a YouTube video featuring Gale Spring's copy stand, Axial Illumination Lighting "Through the Lens".
I couldn't help but notice he had two adjustable holders on his table – one for the glass and another for a light-blocking card.
I thought to myself, "I want those!" So, I embarked on a search for these items, which took me over an hour.
Eventually, I stumbled upon an eBay listing (see pictures below). It seems I'll be taking on another DIY project soon. :P
Attachments
I want these sitting on table but 001.jpg
Cost to Much.jpg

JTCC
Coin Guru

#21 Unread post by JTCC »

Very intriguing project!
How on earth does a magic arm holder thingy cost $547?
U.S. cent lover!

Marvic
Coin Expert

#22 Unread post by Marvic »

JTCC wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:17 am Very intriguing project!
Thanks, JTCC, well; there is more to it; more gadgets are involved, as pictured below...
Attachments
More to it.jpg

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#23 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Marvic wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:13 pm
JTCC wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:17 am Very intriguing project!
Thanks, JTCC, well; there is more to it; more gadgets are involved, as pictured below...
Wow Marvic! You're the ultimate Cointographer. :D
I'm going to get some popcorn while we wait for more posts. :lol:
Member of CONECA

Marvic
Coin Expert

#24 Unread post by Marvic »

Hey Sal, I need to control the focus, but I'm almost there...
Now I need the colors to pop out the way mhonzell does with his coin images, he's the best!..
I took a snap-shot of my Golf ball marker coin in daylight, and it didn't come out bad at all; I need lots of practice in photography AND Golf...
The pictures come out blurry on the website, you need to give it time to fully load... If, you click on them to make them larger...
Attachments
Marvic 001 A.jpg
Marvic 002 A.jpg
Marvic 000.jpg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Unread post by mhonzell »

It is a major step to capture tone. Before I figured it out, my photos looked like this (white background) [Also, taken with less resolution.]
1895-64RB Old.jpg
Once I found the lighting combination, the same coin became (black background), and much closer to in hand.
1895-64RB.jpg
Using Photoshop, be sure to adjust the white and black endpoints so that your photo exposes the full range of color you capture. This is assuming you are working with the RAW photo.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

CoinBoy2
Coin Wizz

#26 Unread post by CoinBoy2 »

I'm really enjoying this topic! I can get good, sharp pictures, but I can't get the color tones like you, Mhonzell! Those pictures are amazing!

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#27 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

:D :D :D
Attachments
goodpost.gif
goodpost.gif (3.25 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
Member of CONECA

Marvic
Coin Expert

#28 Unread post by Marvic »

mhonzell, Your apprentice is diligently working away. :lol:
I was unaware that I needed to press the ALT key to activate the White & Black endpoints after selecting the color droppers in Photoshop.
The transformation appears to have resulted in more vibrant colors, and the black background has had a remarkable effect.
Additionally, the resolution of the coin picture seems to have decreased, but it maintains its quality when zoomed in.
Once again, I want to express my gratitude for your assistance! :handgestures-thumbup:
Attachments
Marvic 001 A Mask 02.jpg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#29 Unread post by mhonzell »

I'm starting to see "life" in that Morgan. You're getting close. The tones are becoming distinguished. Great work!
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#30 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

mhonzell wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:53 pm I'm starting to see "life" in that Morgan. You're getting close. The tones are becoming distinguished. Great work!
Hey! I'm on a budget right now. Do you know of any FREE programs that can do this? Have you guys worked with a program called LunaPic? Or PhotoScape?
Member of CONECA

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#31 Unread post by mhonzell »

I use Affinity. It is not subscription based like Photoshop. And, Photoscape (free) for cropping, orientation, and combining photos.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Marvic
Coin Expert

#32 Unread post by Marvic »

mhonzell wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:53 pm I'm starting to see "life" in that Morgan. You're getting close. The tones are becoming distinguished. Great work!
I'm planning to capture another image of this coin, as I believe I can improve the focus significantly. Additionally, I'll experiment with adjusting the white and black levels, as well as the gray endpoints. However, my goal is not to alter the coin's appearance entirely. The current colors are quite similar to the actual coin, but the sharpness falls short of the quality you typically see on your coins. My aim is to enhance the sharpness to match your standards.

Marvic
Coin Expert

#33 Unread post by Marvic »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:59 pm
Hey! I'm on a budget right now. Do you know of any FREE programs that can do this? Have you guys worked with a program called LunaPic? Or PhotoScape?
Sal, PhotoScape was the graphics program first recommended to me by mhonzell a few months ago, but I went with Photoshop 2023, something like $21 per/month, you can cancel anytime.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#34 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Marvic wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:38 am
SensibleSal66 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:59 pm
Sal, PhotoScape was the graphics program first recommended to me by mhonzell a few months ago, but I went with Photoshop 2023, something like $21 per/month, you can cancel anytime.
Yeah, sounds like a nice program but for $21 per month, I'll save that amount for my ever-growing debt. :cry:
Member of CONECA

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#35 Unread post by mhonzell »

Marvic wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:33 am I'm planning to capture another image of this coin, as I believe I can improve the focus significantly. Additionally, I'll experiment with adjusting the white and black levels, as well as the gray endpoints. However, my goal is not to alter the coin's appearance entirely. The current colors are quite similar to the actual coin, but the sharpness falls short of the quality you typically see on your coins. My aim is to enhance the sharpness to match your standards.
I always stress making the photo look like the coin in hand, unless my goal is to show the tones. Adjusting the endpoints should not alter your photo. Instead, it is preventing the over-range washout, or loss, of some color. RAW is not a processed photo. You are processing the photo manually instead of letting the camera average results to produce a JPG photo. Keep this in mind. You can diminish shadows, remove strong highlights, etc. All without "altering" the photo. Once you start taking shots of proof silver coins, this will make more sense. Play with settings and find which ones keep the coin in hand while improving the photo.

Your camera, when not in RAW mode automatically adds some sharpness. Try adjusting sharpness or details with a tiny radius.

With a macro lens this close your depth of field is only about 1 MM. So, a tiny bit off on your focus will be evident on either high or low points of the coin. You can reduce the aperture of your camera, but you'll lose some of that 3D effect. Lastly, but more complicated, you can look into focus stacking.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Marvic
Coin Expert

#36 Unread post by Marvic »

Yes, I've been capturing images in RAW format—or at least I hope I have been; the resulting files typically range from 4 to 6 MB in size.
You mentioned that RAW isn't a processed photo; do you mean it's not in a JPG format? If that's the case, I might be making a mistake because my camera seems to be saving the pictures in JPG format.

As for adjusting strong highlights, reducing shadows, and other post-processing techniques, it's something I need to work on and learn. Through trial and error, I hope to improve these skills.
mhonzell, It's definitely not as easy as it looks. :doh:

Currently, I'm shooting with ISO 100, using manual focus, shutter speed in Aperture Priority Mode, and I've been experimenting with apertures in the range of F-16 to F-22, even trying out F-32.....

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#37 Unread post by mhonzell »

I've found F-22 is about the sweet spot with my lens for this type of photography.
If your picture has the JPG extension, then the camera already processed it and you're trying to modify a file that is missing 80% of its data. You can't really adjust sharpness, highlights, shadows, etc in a JPG. It will just add artifacts. It should have a RAW extension, or NEF extension..., (I don't remember what type camera you have.) and has to be selected as the type of photo you want from your camera options. Once you manually process it, you export it as a JPG file with no compression and that will be 5-6 MB in size.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Marvic
Coin Expert

#38 Unread post by Marvic »

mhonzell wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:24 pm I've found F-22 is about the sweet spot with my lens for this type of photography.
If your picture has the JPG extension, then the camera already processed it and you're trying to modify a file that is missing 80% of its data. You can't really adjust sharpness, highlights, shadows, etc in a JPG. It will just add artifacts. It should have a RAW extension, or NEF extension..., (I don't remember what type camera you have.) and has to be selected as the type of photo you want from your camera options. Once you manually process it, you export it as a JPG file with no compression and that will be 5-6 MB in size.
Yep, I was doing it all wrong! :angry-banghead:

I recently found this in searching the internet: I have a Canon.
When viewed as a file, a RAW format picture will appear as a single file with a specific file extension, depending on the camera manufacturer. The most common RAW file extensions are:

.CR2: Canon RAW format.
.NEF: Nikon RAW format.
.ARW: Sony RAW format.
.ORF: Olympus RAW format.
.RW2: Panasonic RAW format.
.DNG: Adobe Digital Negative (a universal RAW format).

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#39 Unread post by mhonzell »

It's a lot to take in, so you will have a few moments as you progress.

As far as tweaking RAW photos, as an example, I took a photo of a dragonfly with my macro lens. Then, I put the unprocessed RAW file next to the "coin processed" JPG. "Coin processed" means: I adjusted the Black and White endpoints to remove over-ranged colors, highlights were lowered (see bright whites on wings), detail / clarity enhanced (which your camera normally does automatically.) There is not much difference other than colors are a little more vibrant. I did this so you could see how much something with colors really changes.
Test.jpg
Now, let's see what happens with a coin using the same settings:
(I didn't use angled glass, didn't polish the plastic, didn't try to remove the reflected LED lights, etc. Just a basic photo.)
And, why are there orange tones on Kennedy? Because my second light was incandescent. That should be used with copper, not silver.
Test2.jpg
Oh, and that tilted glass trick... if tilted just a bit wrong compared with where the light is located will introduce it's own colors.
_DSC0005.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Marvic
Coin Expert

#40 Unread post by Marvic »

I can see richer hues on the dragonfly and more incredible details on the Kennedy half-dollar.
I plan to attempt this later tonight; the copy stand is currently positioned in a room with intense daylight lighting. ("Florida Sun Room" where I practice golf swings and the wife does her paintings)...
I had to edit this post once I saw your last JFK pic; that is beautiful!!!!