Anyone been hassled while using a metal detector?

If you metal detect or just hunt for hidden treasures then post your stories and find here. Everyone enjoys a good lost treasure story or news find and they're welcome here as well.

Moderator: Daniel

cbtengr1
Coining Around

Re: Anyone been hassled while using a metal detector?

#11 Unread post by cbtengr1 »

You are not allowed to metal detect on any revolutionary or civil war battle fields. With or without permission. They will arrest you and take your detector. At least that's what it was back in the 80's and 90's.

DanB
Coinasieur

#12 Unread post by DanB »

cbtengr1 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:45 pm You are not allowed to metal detect on any revolutionary or civil war battle fields. With or without permission. They will arrest you and take your detector. At least that's what it was back in the 80's and 90's.
Still is. In fact even if you have a metal detector in your vehicle on a battlefield they can (and from what I have heard from park officials) will arrest you. I go to Gettysburg every year and a they don’t mess around. No warning no “you can’t do that”. They put you in cuffs and take you to jail.
Normally a VERY heavy fine, confiscation of MD equipment etc etc.

KayBur
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by KayBur »

There were no problems with the use of the metal detector. But besides looking for treasures, I also like to shoot interesting photos and videos. Not so long ago I bought a DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone, so when I tested it, I had to figure out the issue of airspace violations and flights in the wrong places.

Ken McKinley
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by Ken McKinley »

Been harassed a lot especially on public property, always ask permission to metal detector private land(I also have knocked on residents doors and explained I am detecting public property next door and then have been granted access to the private property after finding items) of course the land owner wanted part of any financial discovery, anything I tend to find on private land I give to the owners unless its a special find.