Anyone been hassled while using a metal detector?

If you metal detect or just hunt for hidden treasures then post your stories and find here. Everyone enjoys a good lost treasure story or news find and they're welcome here as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
roka
Coining Around

Anyone been hassled while using a metal detector?

#1 Unread post by roka »

Anyone have any stories about getting a hard time for using a metal detector from just people around you or from authorities?
I guess the side question would be do you have to have a permit or are there restrictions in state parks for example.

I'm thinking about getting one So I can go searching for a Henning counterfeit nickel.

Mrweaseluv
Coin Wizz

Re: Anyone been hassled while using a metal detector?

#2 Unread post by Mrweaseluv »

many many times and I'm 100% on filling my divots and not messing up lawns/grounds I detecting. As i do a lot of this on state owned lands that is a requirement here in NH can't leave holes/debris and you have to carry away and crap you dig up. on the other hand it is usualy just that a bit of hassle from the GW/Ranger/cops just to make sure you "behaving". While you don't need a permit you always require permisson on private property and it is alway best to ask when on govt owned property.. (I have seldom been told no if i asked, but I have been chased away several times from good sites for failure to ask in advance (now I always ask 1st)
You may soar with the eagles, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#3 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

I've been detecting off and on for 20 years and only got the old "Heave Ho " only twice . Thought the property was State Forest and they proved me wrong , no harm, Just get permission . In Connecticut the State Forest is totally legal. I ran into the President / Vice President and got permission confirmed one day out at a hunt as strange as that seems . Stay away from the Yale forest though . Private property .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

roka
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by roka »

Good insights @mrweaseluv & @sensiblesal66. I'm Thank you.

BMH
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by BMH »

I have to be very careful in my area because I'm surrounded by National Park land and Native land which are off limits. Some cities in my area also require a permit if you want to detect in their parks. Others don't allow detecting at all. As long as you are aware of the laws in the area that you are detecting and have any required permits it doesn't matter what anyone says as long as you aren't on their property or private property without permission. The biggest issues I have had is with curb strips. Even though the property owners are expected to maintain the curb strip in front of their home it's City property and not theirs and arguments can result if you're dealing with the uninformed. I just move on to the next curb strip to avoid confrontation if the home owner is being obstinate about it. I detect to ease stress and get outside for some fresh air. I don't need some grump yelling at me to get off of his lawn when it isn't his. I have found that asking for permission telling the owner that you will be removing any trash you find and then show them that trash when you're done they will usually appreciate it as long as your holes don't look like the Grand Canyon and you leave the area looking how it was before you were there. It's the holes that people complain about the most so become an expert and filling them in and making the area look undisturbed and you should get no complaints.

Happy hunting!

Brian Hagler
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by Brian Hagler »

Permission and detective work are key!
With todays technology, there is a plethora if info available; old maps of your area are easy to find.
If you live in a rural area, ask some of the land owners if you can detect after you do your homework. Most are totally ok with it as long as cattle are not out or it’s harvest or planting time.

I spent 26.00 at Vista Print and made personal business cards that say who I am, that I am willing to find your lost items in exchange for a spot to detect. I then go to all the local stores that allow you to place business cards and put it up.

I also hand out the cards and just simply ask people if they have any old coins they want to sell or if they know someone who does. I don’t know if I’m an anomaly but I have had GREAT luck with this!!

Just a few ideas.
Member of CONECA

“Love will demand suffering”

roka
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by roka »

BMH and Brian

Thank you!

I'm liking the business card idea!!!

roka
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by roka »

BMH and Brian

Thank you!

roka
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by roka »

BMH and Brian

Thank you!

AlexCaffe
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by AlexCaffe »

A special permit is required to use the detector in parks and some closed areas. Not everywhere you will be given it. But I do not recommend looking for something without permission. It could have ended badly

cbtengr1
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by cbtengr1 »

You are not allowed to metal detect on any revolutionary or civil war battle fields. With or without permission. They will arrest you and take your detector. At least that's what it was back in the 80's and 90's.

DanB
Coinasieur

#12 Unread post by DanB »

cbtengr1 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:45 pm You are not allowed to metal detect on any revolutionary or civil war battle fields. With or without permission. They will arrest you and take your detector. At least that's what it was back in the 80's and 90's.
Still is. In fact even if you have a metal detector in your vehicle on a battlefield they can (and from what I have heard from park officials) will arrest you. I go to Gettysburg every year and a they don’t mess around. No warning no “you can’t do that”. They put you in cuffs and take you to jail.
Normally a VERY heavy fine, confiscation of MD equipment etc etc.

KayBur
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by KayBur »

There were no problems with the use of the metal detector. But besides looking for treasures, I also like to shoot interesting photos and videos. Not so long ago I bought a DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone, so when I tested it, I had to figure out the issue of airspace violations and flights in the wrong places.

Ken McKinley
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by Ken McKinley »

Been harassed a lot especially on public property, always ask permission to metal detector private land(I also have knocked on residents doors and explained I am detecting public property next door and then have been granted access to the private property after finding items) of course the land owner wanted part of any financial discovery, anything I tend to find on private land I give to the owners unless its a special find.

Trinder
Coining Around

#15 Unread post by Trinder »

This happened to my best friend. She lost her ring the day after she was proposed to at the beach in Los Angeles. She was crying and asked the lifeguard tower if there was anything they could do. They gave her a number to this metal detector guy named Harry. They said he was the best in town and not to call anyone else. But when he said he was not around they had to buy there own metal detector. When the brought it to the beach the were harassed by the the lifeguards at the beach who assumed that they were looking for treasure and not a Ring. They had to wait for around 3 days for harry to arrive. So frustrating right!!!!!!

Brian Hagler
Coinasieur

#16 Unread post by Brian Hagler »

I think the big thing to consider is we are all from different places in the US. Be sure to look up local laws and talk to your local Department of Natural Resources or Park Ranger etc.
Member of CONECA

“Love will demand suffering”

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#17 Unread post by DSCoins »

I have two separate state parks by me. One you used to have to go in, fill out a permission slip which they signed right there on the spot. About a year after that you no longer had to fill anything out. You could just go and do it. There is a second state park which is basically a swing area (pond) with trail you can hike along streams. At this place they are more than happy to let people medal detect after Labor Day until Memorial Day. There opinion is very pro medal detecting, as they know that people who are medal detecting always take the garbage they dig out and throw it in the trash. Really wish I could do that again.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Earle42 »

Yes...but in a different way. Going through a metal detector in Athens Greece in the 80s they stopped me for my belt buckle. Its 30.06 shell filled with lead, a spent primer, and a bullet head that comes off. The guy before me put a lead lined camera bag though easily big enough to hold two pistols. They never even opened the bag!

I showed them the bullet was dead by taking it apart. But they left me buckle-less with loose pants. However I saw another guard on the other side wink at me. Sure enough, before I got on the plane he caught up to me and handed me the buckle mumbling something about the guys at the metal detector being ridiculous....

Oh...

THAT kind of metal detector...

Nope sorry.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

ToryBlaker
Coining Around

#19 Unread post by ToryBlaker »

I totally agree with @ AlexCaffe, Federal law prohibits the possession and use of metal detectors on federal property. ... These acts are illegal and can lead to confiscation of equipment, arrest, and prosecution as a felony under federal law. Penalties may include fines of up to $10,000 and possible prison time.

Mojave Gold
Coining Around

#20 Unread post by Mojave Gold »

I have been detecting on-and-off since the mid 1970s. Have only been hassled a few times - usually by stray dogs - but more often (unfortunately) by other detectorists that believe they have an exclusive claim on their favorite local public spots. One of my favorite memories was detecting a sand play area in a public park we had never hit before. A local detectorist was there ahead of us with a very high-$ detector, and verbally scoffed at our 'inferior' equipment. He raced through the area, ignoring 'trash' signals from his machine, while we followed behind, digging all non-iron signals. He left in a huff, after I dug up my second gold (jewelry) target that he had passed over.

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#21 Unread post by Iceresistance »

Mojave Gold wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:29 pm I have been detecting on-and-off since the mid 1970s. Have only been hassled a few times - usually by stray dogs - but more often (unfortunately) by other detectorists that believe they have an exclusive claim on their favorite local public spots. One of my favorite memories was detecting a sand play area in a public park we had never hit before. A local detectorist was there ahead of us with a very high-$ detector, and verbally scoffed at our 'inferior' equipment. He raced through the area, ignoring 'trash' signals from his machine, while we followed behind, digging all non-iron signals. He left in a huff, after I dug up my second gold (jewelry) target that he had passed over.
The last part was hilarious! If I ever go Metal Detecting, I always try to dig up all signals, I once watched a video of someone finding a Morgan Dollar on a Signal that sounded like (to him) a penny.
You are never too old to learn something new

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#22 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Earle42 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:38 pm Yes...but in a different way. Going through a metal detector in Athens Greece in the 80s they stopped me for my belt buckle. Its 30.06 shell filled with lead, a spent primer, and a bullet head that comes off. The guy before me put a lead lined camera bag though easily big enough to hold two pistols. They never even opened the bag!

I showed them the bullet was dead by taking it apart. But they left me buckle-less with loose pants. However I saw another guard on the other side wink at me. Sure enough, before I got on the plane he caught up to me and handed me the buckle mumbling something about the guys at the metal detector being ridiculous....

Oh...

THAT kind of metal detector...

Nope sorry.
Thanks for that Earl, gave me a good laugh
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

papalark
Coining Around

#23 Unread post by papalark »

I just purchased an Xp Deus, all the gear. Did a little research and found out i needed a permit so i applied online. 4 to5 days to wait it says. 3 days go by and i just want to try it out somewhere. i went to the park with no intension of digging, but just to see if there was a difference than when home. I was not there for more than 10 minutes, barely got it assembled and a park ranger showed up, hassled me and gave me a ticket. Got Permit today, going to try again.

Redline68
Coin Collector

#24 Unread post by Redline68 »

You cannot detect on State property in Delaware unless it's a beach. You used to be able to hunt county property but that was 20 years ago. Things may have changed. They are OK selling state property with heavy civil war use to housing developers with bulldozers, but detectorists can't be on it.