Coil covers can be a problem ??

If you metal detect or just hunt for hidden treasures then post your stories and find here. Everyone enjoys a good lost treasure story or news find and they're welcome here as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
robinsenny
Coining Around

Coil covers can be a problem ??

#1 Unread post by robinsenny »

Hi,

I am reading a book on surf and beach hunting (Gold Beneath the Waves), where the author says "do not use coil covers". He says that the salt water and sand will move around inside the coil cover giving unstable and false signals.
He covers the base of his coils with epoxy resin for protection.
Does anyone have any opinions on the truth of this?

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

Thanks!

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Coil covers can be a problem ??

#2 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

It makes sense not to have anything in the way of the coils that can cause a false positive "signal", sand and water has minerals and minerals can cause false positive signals.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

I started metal detecting this year in earnest. My friend who has been a big help, uses a coating for his pin pointer and a cover for his coils, and I have followed suit.
Being on the central east coast of Florida, detecting in the salt water is basically a no-no because everything is leased by salvors from the low tide mark out. With that being said, there is a possibility of salt water from wave action on the beach area, so there might be an advantage to epoxy instead of covers. Mine seems to fit so tightly, I don't expect much sand/silt to be sloshing around if it gets dunked.
If the author has a lot of modern experience, I would tend to strongly consider his recommendation. I don't think it will hinder any resale possibility if you explain the reasoning.
Good luck.
Here's one I feel fortunate to have found recently, while learning, about 60' west of the dune in tree roots and scrub.
It came out of the ground this way with only a need to blow it off. No scraping or other cleaning required.
Bronze I believe, with wear visible from being operated. Because of the relative good shape and uneven patina I thought it was modern until I noticed the nail still attached. I still wasn't sure because of modern imitations but I'm pretty sure it is from one of the ships that sunk in the area, possibly 1715.
I still need to do more research on hinge styles from that era.

Bronze Hinge w/ Mounting Nail still attached  June 2018
Bronze Hinge w/ Mounting Nail still attached June 2018
Bronze Hinge w/ Mounting Nail still attached  Scale June 2018
Bronze Hinge w/ Mounting Nail still attached Scale June 2018
Bronze Hinge Pin keeper June 2018
Bronze Hinge Pin keeper June 2018
Bronze Hinge Mounting Nail w/scale June 2018
Bronze Hinge Mounting Nail w/scale June 2018
Bronze Hinge w/hammered metal  June 2018
Bronze Hinge w/hammered metal June 2018
Bronze Hinge w/ Mounting Nail still attached #2 June 2018
Bronze Hinge w/ Mounting Nail still attached #2 June 2018
Bronze Hinge second hole and metal wear  June 2018
Bronze Hinge second hole and metal wear June 2018

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

Interesting, the nail doesn't fit into the hole, so someone was doing something else with this.

pan4au
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by pan4au »

Interesting find. I hope to search a fresh water beach here in Tn in the morning before it gets too hot with my Nox 800 and if I'm not having too much pain... hoping to find some Bling.
I'll remove the coil cover and clean if I get to go HH

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Daniel wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:02 pm Interesting, the nail doesn't fit into the hole, so someone was doing something else with this.
D, Not sure I understand about the nail not fitting the hole? The bronze(?) nail penetrates the hole and is "peened" over.
The nail is loose in the hole and can rotate fairly easily. The second hole has the metal "peened" over where a second nail had penetrated and been bent over. The wood thickness was about 1/2" judging by how far the head is away from the hinge.
The hinge was definitely cast as seen in the bumpy surface of the metal.
I think this would have been a "T" shaped hinge.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

The nail get's larger toward the head so it looked as if it didn't fit to the head in the metal hole.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Ah I see what you mean about it being thicker towards the head of the nail.
I believe that is an indication of how thick the wood was the hinge was attached to.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

But it looks like the head is sticking up from the back of the hinge and not the front. I guess I need to see it in person. lol

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by mhonzell »

In the first photo, you are looking at the side of the hinge that would be against the wood. Another nail would be installed near the top (as shown below). The square nail heads would be on the inside of the box with the hinge plate on the outside. A smaller piece would be connected to a non-moving part of the box, but similarly flat since this is not designed to wrap over a corner edge. Nowadays, we use screws that penetrate from the outside of the hinge.
Attachments
untitled-22.jpg
box hinge d.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#12 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

I've got to admit I almost jumped out of my chair when I thought Mark found a complete example of my hinge. hugeeyes

Then I realized he added the second nail for demonstrating how it would look with both nails. lol:
I keep going back and forth in my head whether it was for a jewelry box or not. It seems big for a dainty jewelry box. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be on the water tho because of the bronze composition.
Hopefully one of these days I'll come across something similar that will give me a clue :eureka: to what it was used on.
Last edited by PetesPockets55 on Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by mhonzell »

:l :l
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

My confusion is the head of the nail being inside the chest, was not thinking in that direction. lol

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by mhonzell »

The tip of the nail was pounded down to act as a rivet head holding the plate in place.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by Daniel »

I understand that but the head of the nail being inside the chest is where my confusion came in. Wasn't visualizing until you posted the "complete" hinge.