San Miguel style brass Buckle (ca. 1700-1750)

If you metal detect or just hunt for hidden treasures then post your stories and find here. Everyone enjoys a good lost treasure story or news find and they're welcome here as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#1 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Here is something a little different for everyone. The 1715 Spanish Plate fleet went down in a hurricane along this stretch of coastline.

I went metal detecting to a beach side site today that has been getting cleared more and more for a condo. I wanted to see the progress and whether it might have the trees and brush out of the way. I've been watching it pretty closely, but evidently so have others.
Even though there was some nice white beach sand visible instead of the dark organic stained topsoil, there were also many areas where their digging was evident, in clusters instead of random holes. I took that to mean they were having some success getting hits in certain areas, but my expectations were low for finding anything. Definitely wasn't the early bird today starting at 2:30 and not easy in this Fl sun.
I decided to try the fringes about a foot from where they dug and after only about 3-5 min. I got a solid 80 at 4"-6". Usually around here with my AT Max at "All Metal" a 78 to 82 means aluminum cans.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a brass buckle with the tongue still attached looking back at me.
(This spot was about 75' west of where I found the small decorative brass hinge last year. Here's the link if interested:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipw ... ached.html )

Last but not least here is the online reference at Artifacts.org that I found on belt buckles and why I think this one is the San Miguel style, ".. may have served as harness strap/saddlery or small accoutrement buckles"
Bucklepage .

Thanks for looking and any comments because I'm still fairly new at this.
Attachments
1715ShoeBuckle_ExcellentFullTopScale_closeTongue4.JPG
1715ShoeBuckle_Back_wScale1.JPG
1715ShoeBuckle_ExcellentChape_Tongue9.JPG
1715ShoeBuckle_NiceClearChape_Tongue7.JPG
1715ShoeBuckle_NiceFileMarksKeeper3.JPG
1715ShoeBuckle_BackB_2.JPG
1715ShoeBuckle_NiceClearTongue5.JPG
1715ShoeBuckle_InSituClose1.JPG
1715ShoeBuckle_Edge_closeTongueTip7.JPG
1715ShoeBuckle_ExcellentFullTopTongueEngaged_2.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: San Miguel style brass Buckle (ca. 1700-1750)

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Cool find. Odd but I had one of these a long time ago, when I was a kid and had no idea what it was. I don't even know what happened to it.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

That's cool you had one. I never gave much thought to different shapes or sizes produced by different nations.

I thought for sure mine was a shoe buckle but thanks to the linked site realize it was probably equestrian. Length is equal to a WL half and as wide as a Washington quarter.

jimgrains51
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by jimgrains51 »

Thats an interesting find. I remember my granpa had something similar in his basement. We kept playing with it when we were kids and I never knew it was an old buckle. Im going to poke around his basement when I get the chance to visit them.