1998-D DIME D OVER D MINT MARK

If you metal detect or just hunt for hidden treasures then post your stories and find here. Everyone enjoys a good lost treasure story or news find and they're welcome here as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Nolifeking
Coin Expert

Re: 1998-D DIME D OVER D MINT MARK

#11 Unread post by Nolifeking »

So what could it be then? Just MD?

DIXIEROADIE
Coinasieur

#12 Unread post by DIXIEROADIE »

I have no clue but it is what it is.

TCOYEN
Coin Wizz

#13 Unread post by TCOYEN »

no matter what it turns out to be I would keep it. pretty interesting coin. Good find....... :thumbsup:
Clad Counter2010
.01=684 .05=48 .10=160 .25=149 NA$=1 Ring=8

DIXIEROADIE
Coinasieur

#14 Unread post by DIXIEROADIE »

I am sending it to Ken Potter later,maybe it will be worth something?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

Why don't you post a detailed picture of the entire coin, we might see something you missed.

RHM22
Coin Expert

#16 Unread post by RHM22 »

Daniel wrote:Why don't you post a detailed picture of the entire coin, we might see something you missed.
That sounds like a good idea. There's a possibility that it could be double struck with the first strike being weaker than the second.

DIXIEROADIE
Coinasieur

#17 Unread post by DIXIEROADIE »

Iposted a micro shot of the D mark and a pic of the whole obverse,nothing stood out on the reverse,but I will dig it out and take a more pictures if you like,but I think if you look at the first picture it shows the biggest detail.

azporkey
Coin Collector

#18 Unread post by azporkey »

Great coin. Hope it's worth a lot. But how or what did you use for that great pic of the coin????? Very nice job. azporkey

DIXIEROADIE
Coinasieur

#19 Unread post by DIXIEROADIE »

I used a microscope and a digital camera

azporkey
Coin Collector

#20 Unread post by azporkey »

Hi Dixieroadie, what should I spend for a good microscpe? I am starting to sell coins on E-bay. I might need better pics to post. Thanks so much for reply. azporkey

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#21 Unread post by dipper13 »

It might be less expensive to buy a camera with a great macro setting, like Daniel has. To sell coins, you do not have to show mint marks up close. Dan

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Unread post by Daniel »

dipper13 wrote:It might be less expensive to buy a camera with a great macro setting, like Daniel has. To sell coins, you do not have to show mint marks up close. Dan
Not only that, I begin noticing a problem with my images, they where magnified and showed little marks on the coin that couldn't been seen by the naked eye. I have feedback that states the coins look better than the pictures. So, in trying to give the most accurate images for buyers, I went over board.

DIXIEROADIE
Coinasieur

#23 Unread post by DIXIEROADIE »

I would go Daniels route as I am not an expert in picture taking.I liked the microscope pictures because you can really get down to very fine details like cracks in VAMS and the other points you can not really see with the naked eye.I got my microscope at a yard sale for a dollar,but again a nice camera for normal shots and the scope for details you want to show off.EBAY can be brutal for selling coins,but good luck.

marc.durante
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#24 Unread post by marc.durante »

This is a pretty interesting coin. Have you sent it to anyone? Can't be an RPM as already stated and doesn't look like strike doubling. I did a quick overlay using a 1998 D example and surprisingly the leg of the trailing A in AMERICA actually goes right through pretty much the exact area where your shows the doubling. Looks a little too strong to be a clash but guess it's possible.
Attachments
1998-D Dime Overlay.jpg
ANA Member: BR-3153661

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#25 Unread post by Nolifeking »

I'd personally go with some kind of die deterioration.

DIXIEROADIE
Coinasieur

#26 Unread post by DIXIEROADIE »

Yes I still have it,interesting picture it looks like you may have solved this one.I put it away and forgot about it.It may be the inverted A in AMERICA it may be a D over D guess I should get it out and send it off.Thanks for getting my interest in this coin going again.

DIXIEROADIE
Coinasieur

#27 Unread post by DIXIEROADIE »

Driving myself nuts trying to find that dime,must be my age showing.

DIXIEROADIE
Coinasieur

#28 Unread post by DIXIEROADIE »

Soon as I find it I am putting it the mail to you Daniel,then we will know ok?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#29 Unread post by Daniel »

Yes, of course, but I am confident that's what it is and it does give it a little more value.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#30 Unread post by Maineman750 »

I like the clash theory better than anything
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#31 Unread post by Daniel »

No problem. I bet I find some other areas and I will take close-ups and post in this thread. We will talk about my fees later. Just kidding about the fees LOL

DIXIEROADIE
Coinasieur

#32 Unread post by DIXIEROADIE »

I am very interested in what you see in it,now its just finding it.

Derek
Coining Around

#33 Unread post by Derek »

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to give it a bump because I just found an exact same coin as the OP. This is the only place I can find any info on this coin.

Did Dixieroadie found his coin and send it in? What was the verdict on this coin?

I'm new to die variety collecting and this is my first "good" find in 2 months of looking.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#34 Unread post by Daniel »

No new news on this coin but's more likely a die clash because a couple of us didn't pay attention to the date and after 90' there can't be RPM's

Derek
Coining Around

#35 Unread post by Derek »

Thanks. Is this coin worth keeping? Is it valuable?

DIXIEROADIE
Coinasieur

#36 Unread post by DIXIEROADIE »

Unfortunately,I still have not found that dime,I put it away and just can not recall where I put it.You should take some pics or send it to Daniel to check out,Derek.

Rlj182731
Coining Around

#37 Unread post by Rlj182731 »

DIXIEROADIE wrote:What di I need to do ?I just put it in the mail and that is it,should it be insured?
Hey I was just wandering if you found anything new about the 1998 d double d. I recently just found one and wanted to know what you know.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#38 Unread post by Daniel »

No repunched mint marks 1990 and later so this is either a hidden clash mark or some type of die wear. It will not add any value to the coin and I first commented thinking the date was a 1988 and completely blundered this topic.