Sovereign Errors

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Asketi
Coining Around

Sovereign Errors

#1 Unread post by Asketi »

Hi All,

I know many of the members here are from the US, and that there is a focus on US Coinage but I thought it would be interesting to post a few closeups of British Victorian Sovereign errors that I have in my collection.

Happy to post more photos of these wonderful coins if there is interest. Equally if anyone needs Sovereign advice please feel free to ask!

Best
Asketim
Attachments
image.thumb.png.038f64e3ca1f26d1a049b732ad1c7a06.png
1931662631_1856-A1.jpg.dc1d4856fa6ee6143a0d4531650a74e9.jpg
Inverse.thumb.png.26ddf38b1a651d805cfbaf4c0f06e968.png
942368104_INV-42DieNumberOver.thumb.jpg.8c28cc0bbd5b9e1cab85fd14d7163bf4.jpg
INV-043-TSF.thumb.jpg.20ede50a86f6da74c719b28572aa8a21.jpg
INV-018.thumb.jpg.781225b557e3a5695966baf004964fcf.jpg
S20210601_008.thumb.jpg.4671f60b90184fd268ec75e49d25b5d5.jpg
1857.thumb.jpg.17ff94e12aeed538a36cfe7b0aea4eae.jpg

Triple C
Coin Wizz

Re: Sovereign Errors

#2 Unread post by Triple C »

Very cool!👍 I would be interested in seeing more, but can you please include full images of obverse and reverse on your next posts. Thanks for sharing! 🤗

Asketi
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by Asketi »

Hello and thanks for replying.

Very Happy to do so. Give me a little time and I will take photos and link to the errors with a description.

All the best from the UK!

Clint W
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by Clint W »

would love to see more photos. Those are some pretty wild DDOs
USAF Retired 1995-2018
Fairly new to collecting

Mojave Gold
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Mojave Gold »

Agree with above - I would love to see more details of errors. I have a handful of Sovereigns, mostly from the London mint, but some from Sydney, Melborne, Canada and Bombay. I collect them mainly because they are cool - but it can't be too bad to have some of the same coins in my collection that James Bond carries around with him! I had never even considered the possibility of errors...

Asketi
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by Asketi »

Excellent and thank you for your feedback. I will post up the first Sovereign Error with decent pictures over the weekend / Monday.

In total there have been over a billion Sovereigns minted (Since Queen Victoria - 1838 onwards, my count based on reliable records is 1,083,190,348 across all mints).

There are, however nothing like this number surviving:
- Worn Sovereigns were melted and re-minted
- Many were melted in the UK to be cast into Bars to pay foreign debts
- Notably, 104,960 1838 Sovereigns were shipped to the US and melted to fund the creation of the Smithsonian museum (they were re-minted into %10 Eagles in Philadelphia). I have attached a photo of a Sovereign held at the Smithsonian that may have been part of the 104,960
- Some still sit at the bottom of the ocean on wrecked ships
- There are likely to be a few hoards sitting unsorted in bank vaults

Sovereigns were minted in:
- London
- Sydney
- Melbourne
- Ottowa
- Bombay (one year only)

The vast majority were bullion finish but proofs and 'patterns' were also minted, but are rare.

With so many minted, and Sovereign design variations there was ample room for errors to creep in. Many are recorded in the Book 'The Gold Sovereign' by Michael Marsh (Latest edition 2021), but I have found ones not recorded in this central reference book.

Best
Asketi

Asketi
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Asketi »

Here is the Photo from the Smithsonian
Attachments
coins.jpg