Roman Republic Quadrigatus

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Gam3rBlake
Coin Collector

Roman Republic Quadrigatus

#1 Unread post by Gam3rBlake »

Hey fellow collectors!

I wanted to share my newest pickup with you guys. I think I got it at a great price!

This is a Roman Republic quadrigatus. The predecessor to the denarius.

It’s my first Roman coin from the Republic as my others are all denarii from the Roman Empire.

Officially they are supposed to weigh 6.8 grams so about equal to 2 denarii.

Although the description lists the obverse as a “youthful” Janus there is much debate among historians & numismatists about whether it’s actually the Dioscuri (Castor & Pollux) as Janus almost always has a beard.

Anonymous. Ca. 225-214/2 BC. AR didrachm or quadrigatus (23mm, 6.64 gm, 7h). NGC AU 5/5 - 3/5, overstruck. Uncertain mint. Laureate head of youthful Janus, two small annulets on top of head / Jupiter, hurling thunderbolt with right hand, scepter in left, in fast quadriga right driven by Victory; ROMA incuse on raised tablet below. Crawford 29/3. Sydenham 64.
Attachments
E9F43946-04F2-4D06-8FDA-2D712883CF6B.jpeg
F425AF9D-A46D-44D4-9750-BF3278635457.jpeg
84BAC06C-1491-4C69-BD27-C65EF8697423.jpeg
PCGS Member
NGC Member

Triple C
Coin Wizz

Re: Roman Republic Quadrigatus

#2 Unread post by Triple C »

Awesome looking coin! 👍

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

I agree! Very nice and thanks for sharing.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Giovanni20
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Giovanni20 »

Gam3rBlake wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:55 am Hey fellow collectors!

I wanted to share my newest pickup with you guys. I think I got it at a great price!

It’s my first Roman coin from the Republic as my others are all denarii from the Roman Empire.

Although the description lists the obverse as a “youthful” Janus there is much debate among historians & numismatists about whether it’s actually the Dioscuri (Castor & Pollux) as Janus almost always has a beard.

Anonymous. Ca. 225-214/2 BC. AR didrachm or quadrigatus (23mm, 6.64 gm, 7h). NGC AU 5/5 - 3/5, overstruck. Uncertain mint. Laureate head of youthful Janus, two small annulets on top of head / Jupiter, hurling thunderbolt with right hand, scepter in left, in fast quadriga right driven by Victory; ROMA incuse on raised tablet below. Crawford 29/3. Sydenham 64.
Good looking coin.Resell

thairunts
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by thairunts »

I know you posted this months ago, but I have to agree.. I love Roman / Greek coins with a quadriga and four horses on them - and yours is beautiful.

Gam3rBlake
Coin Collector

#6 Unread post by Gam3rBlake »

Giovanni20 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:22 am
Gam3rBlake wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:55 am Hey fellow collectors!

Good looking coin.Resell
Nooo I don’t want to resell. It’s all MINE ^_^
PCGS Member
NGC Member

Gam3rBlake
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by Gam3rBlake »

thairunts wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:21 pm I know you posted this months ago, but I have to agree.. I love Roman / Greek coins with a quadriga and four horses on them - and yours is beautiful.
Thanks! :)

Yeah I love the art on Ancient & Greek coins. I also agree that the quadriga looks super cool!

What I really love about this coin is:

1). It’s overstruck. Meaning it was struck over an older coin. Probably a Greek didrachm.

2). I can’t help but love coins that say “ROMA” on them. xD

3). It’s from the Second Punic War made of silver paid as reparations to Rome by Carthage after the First Punic War. As Hannibal was rampaging through Italy these coins began to be debased so it can be assumed that mine is from the beginning of the Second Punic War as mine is obviously a very high purity silver coin.

It looks even better in person. Really nice for being 2,200 years old and still having lots of luster and not much wear or damage.
0D9733FC-D180-4CDA-8089-D0BA2E04DB0C.jpeg
F73612E0-7D1D-4781-8268-12A31FC4AA7F.jpeg
PCGS Member
NGC Member

thairunts
Coinasieur

#8 Unread post by thairunts »

Not that they compare to yours, but here are a few recent quadrigas I had on my desk ranging from 137 to 46 BC.

1) Cn Domitius Ahenobarbus
2) Marcus Baebius
3) T Carisius
DomitiusAhenobarbus_r.jpg
M_Baebius_r.jpg
T_Carisius_46BC_r.jpg

thairunts
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by thairunts »

Actually, the first one only had 2 horses.. oops..

Gam3rBlake
Coin Collector

#10 Unread post by Gam3rBlake »

thairunts wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:34 pm Not that they compare to yours, but here are a few recent quadrigas I had on my desk ranging from 137 to 46 BC.

1) Cn Domitius Ahenobarbus
2) Marcus Baebius
3) T Carisius

DomitiusAhenobarbus_r.jpg

M_Baebius_r.jpg

T_Carisius_46BC_r.jpg
Nice ones! Looks like those are coins of the Republic?

Yeah the two horse chariot was called a “biga” vs the four horse “quadriga”. That’s why my coin is called a “quadrigatus”. It’s unknown what it was called in ancient times so modern historians just call it a Quadrigatus.

Livy (1st century historian) called them heavy denarii but historians think it was more likely called a didrachm.
PCGS Member
NGC Member

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Earle42 »

All of those are simply amazing. Quit showing them to us or I will want some myself 😂
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?