Help ID for possibly French medieval token or coin

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Mini-Munten-Man
Coining Around

Help ID for possibly French medieval token or coin

#1 Unread post by Mini-Munten-Man »

Hello everyone,

I’ve been having a real tough time identifying this old coin I got from my grandpa awhile back. I’ve been told it might be a token, and after comparing it with loads of others it definitely shows many similarities. Finding a match or a date or even a country to assign to it to has proven difficult though, especially since I can’t read the letters due to the script being so different from anything i’m used to dealing with.
All I can really say is that there are quite a few French lilies on it, so it could be one of many French feudal states, no idea which one though.
Can anyone tell me a little more about this token?

Thanks in advance
Attachments
A140F908-6A4B-4583-82D4-59635A24F15C.jpeg
0E1F5CFE-6BEC-4B13-AED8-237CFB3B75C5.jpeg
I enjoy collecting coins!

Triple C
Coin Wizz

Re: Help ID for possibly French medieval token or coin

#2 Unread post by Triple C »

IMO, based on the images posted, your token appears to be a Medieval Nuremberg Jeton of the second group. The reverse is very similar to a French Jeton from the lower country in the County of Flanders, but is lacking the lion or firesteel images commonly associated with Count Louis De Male. Which is why I am leaning towards Nuremberg, because the second group of Nuremberg Jetons imitated devices from other locations, such as Burgundy and France which is where the sample image below, very similar to yours, comes from:
Screenshot_20210924-195333_Chrome.jpg
Hope that helps...or at least direct you towards a happy hunt!

Mini-Munten-Man
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by Mini-Munten-Man »

Thank you so much! I am actually from Flanders, so having it be from around my area would definitely make sense. I've done a little bit of digging based on your feedback and while I haven't found much yet, I've managed to decipher the obverse text, which reads: VIVE LE ROI VIVE(S?)

I stumbled upon a very similar obverse text on this other French "4 lilies" token https://en.numista.com/catalogue/exonumia43586.html
Does that change anything or are we still looking in the same general area? Massively appreciate your help!

(PS: Is there maybe some sort of catalog for this I could dig through, or could you perhaps link me to the source for the similar token you showed?)
(PPS: The way I discovered that these two had similar texts, was when I noticed "BAIA" on the token, which had originally been the only word I'd been able to read on my own token, only to find out it actually spells out VIVE but upside down. Those medieval fonts are quite something)
I enjoy collecting coins!

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Triple C »

Live the King Live...Very cool! I couldn't make the lettering out from the pics. Unfortunately, thousands of Tokens/Jetons were made with various political, religious, or other types of inscriptions/legends throughout Europe, but that still doesn't change the general area we are looking in. However, If you can make out the reverse text, that might help...guild masters names usually are inscribed, e.g. Iorg Schultes.

No catalog, but a guide to various antiquities. Here is the link, the similar Jeton/Token, is under Jettons from other sources:

https://finds.org.uk/counties/findsreco ... er_sources

Lol...modern english, where is the fun in that! 😉

Keep us posted!!!