Mystery Polish Coin

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
DivockOrigi2
Coining Around

Mystery Polish Coin

#1 Unread post by DivockOrigi2 »

I found this Coin a few years ago in a penny roll from the bank. I haven't been be able to ID it, but it looks to be some bicentennial commemorative coin. Any Info on it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! (War Nickel for size comparison)
Attachments
IMG_5558.jpeg
IMG_5557.jpeg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mystery Polish Coin

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

Interesting. You got it in a penny roll and yet it is larger in diameter than a nickel ?

When you type what is on the REV into a search engine you will get pics of a coin with a different OBV.

Yours looking so new makes me believe its a modern copy or commemorative.

Try typing everything you see on OBV side into a search engine along with what is on the REV and see what happens.

Also you could try typing in the OBV wording into an online translator and see what it says. Its too fuzzy in the pics to see what the OBV says,
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

Welcome
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

WalhallCoins
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by WalhallCoins »

1 Grosz Polski 1816 -
1 Grosz Polski 1816 -
1 Grosz Polski 1816
1 Grosz Polski 1816
Earle42 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:41 pm Interesting. You got it in a penny roll and yet it is larger in diameter than a nickel ?

When you type what is on the REV into a search engine you will get pics of a coin with a different OBV.

Yours looking so new makes me believe its a modern copy or commemorative.

Try typing everything you see on OBV side into a search engine along with what is on the REV and see what happens.

Also you could try typing in the OBV wording into an online translator and see what it says. Its too fuzzy in the pics to see what the OBV says,

You are on something... and pretty much competely right. Its definitely a non government issued coin.

This "coin/token" is a copy of a "1 Grosz 1816" (Polski - Alexander I / Nikolai I - Russian partition of Poland)

Another wierd thing is that the obverse is completely custom to the original that looks nothing like it, or any commemorative coin ive seen or known of, and then with the date 11-06-2016.

Which says its minted after 2016...

The only right thing is that the reverse have the classic "modern look" strike with "1 Grosz 1816"

But except that, i would be very sceptical towards this "commemorative copy token/coin" to be worth basically nothing, it is what it is...

I even searched the obverse letters and nothing comes up.

Anyway and here is the pictures of the orginal strike from 1816 what the coin should look like.

My final conclusion... its most likely from a souvenir shop/shops in Poland, or something along those lines, and im sorry but dont think its worth any big money.

Good luck OP! Hope you find out what exactly it is some day.
Last edited by WalhallCoins on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swedish Viking casual collect coins. I will try help out others with my half-decent knowledge on both US and Swedish coins.

WalhallCoins
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by WalhallCoins »

DivockOrigi2 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:53 pm I found this Coin a few years ago in a penny roll from the bank. I haven't been be able to ID it, but it looks to be some bicentennial commemorative coin. Any Info on it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! (War Nickel for size comparison)
Hi,

Read my post and see pictures in the other reply i did in this thread, for an answer to the questions regarding you're commemorative coin/token.

Im sorry but no exciting information really came up.

Have a nice day!

*I forgot to mention, this is just based on my knowledge, and what i found and my opinion regarding the coin/token. I could be wrong, and it could be ending up worth something, who knows. Best of luck!
Swedish Viking casual collect coins. I will try help out others with my half-decent knowledge on both US and Swedish coins.

cammobunker
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by cammobunker »

OK, the lettering across the top is "Polish Mint SA" SA is the European version of "company".
The rest of the lettering is "University" and a name that I cannot read properly, but 'CZ" is the abbreviation for the Czech Republic, and then of course the date.
I browsed through the Polish Mint website, and surprisingly they actually do make promotional coins for corporations, and I would imagine that they would make you coins for a special event of some type as well, if you had the money to pay for it. (I get the impression they'll make you pretty much anything you want-they also offer security services and real estate!) So, basically it's a token for some kind of university event in 2016 in the Czech Republic (Which I think is now just known as "Czechia", now that I think about it) It might have some small value to someone that collects Polish Mint products.
Knowledge is power. Be a powerful collector!