Disney Dollar Dementia?

Discuss or ask questions or posts paper currency topics. World currency is allowed as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
kcm
Coin Collector

Disney Dollar Dementia?

#1 Unread post by kcm »

To begin, I’m not a numismatist and my knowledge of collectible currency is a fat “zero”.

With family at DisneyWorld in the years 1987, ’88, ’89 and 93, I purchased Disney Dollars – ones and fives, ten at a time. Serial numbers are unremarkable (D00 then six digits and an A) but each group of ten are sequentially numbered. Unaware that PCGSC’s licensing agreement with PCGS was on the brink of expiration, I sent them off to be graded. They came back in thirty three PCGSC holders. Thirty graded Very Choice New 64 PPQ. One graded Gem New 65 PPQ. One non sequential graded Choice New 63 PPQ and the last non sequential graded Extremely Fine 40 PPQ. Needless to say, I have a bit of cash tied up in the lot.

Disney stopped issuing Disney Dollars a few years back. I take no comfort there. I know Disney Corp and its attention to its potential markets. I’m sure they have a few hundred million untouched by human hands in a vault somewhere and that many, if not all, will be sold probably as collectibles with a premium. Every Disney movie asset was or will be re-released as soon as they judge the public is hungry enough to re-purchase the asset – clever dicks.

For those who don’t know, PCGS now grades currency under the name of PCGS Banknote. The folks once operating as PCGS Currency now operate as Legacy Currency Grading. Legacy stands behind their erstwhile PCGSC output and, of course, PCGS would suffer great reputational disruption if they refused to likewise stand behind PCGSC's determination.

My research indicates that PCGSC certified only about 20,000 Disney notes. Those, then, are the entire population in PCGSC holders for all time. My question: am I deluded to insist that this odd addition to rarity adds considerable value to the collectibles.

wilkinsp21
Coin Wizz

Re: Disney Dollar Dementia?

#2 Unread post by wilkinsp21 »

So I got a Disney Dollar back in 88-89 and thought since Disney stopped making them they would be worth a lot
sadly you can buy them new on Ebay for a few dollars more then Face (Example $1 Disney you pay like $10 dollars, $5 Disney you pay like $20 dollars, $10 Disney you pay like $30 dollars, etc)
or at least a lot less then I thought would be

yours might be worth more in PCGSC holders; but I haven't seen those
Thank you,
Patrick

wilkinsp21
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by wilkinsp21 »

After looking more on Ebay some of the dollars in Holders look like $30-$70 dollars so that better :)
Thank you,
Patrick

kcm
Coin Collector

#4 Unread post by kcm »

Thank you, Patrick. I’ve been tracking the market using Ebay for some time. I do not wholly trust anything I see on Ebay for purposes of reference. Check out my July 18 START HERE post at:

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15472

The warning from Daniel, Paul and the other site experts is “Buy the coin, not the holder.” I find their arguments persuasive. Still Daniel in his characteristic candor advises that he relies on PCGS holders to maintain needed cash flow to his business. I find that reality equally persuasive. Daniel risks passing a “Do as I say, not as I do / Buy as I say, not as I’m forced to sell” gift to collectors.

I would be unable to apply either dictum to currency. I have almost two dozen bills in LEGACY holders. There isn’t one I’d assign the same grade as LEGACY did. I’d lower most entirely based on eye appeal – my only trustworthy reference. I’d love an experienced hand to help apply some sagacity to valuing these 33 weird objects.
Kevin

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

Ebay BIN, sold auctions are of merit for helping determine coin values, but not the auctions that used bidding. Most of them sell below what coins are typically selling for retail.

kcm
Coin Collector

#6 Unread post by kcm »

Yes, helpful guidance, there, Daniel. I'm guided to contemplate the truths that the "Buy It Now sales" are borne by pre-stated agreement. Auctions are an invitation to a free-for-all. Both are fun; I like fun. Still, henceforward in my coin-life, I'll pause to seek the former and shun the latter as often as circumstance permits. BIG help! Thank you.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

The only other issues with bidding is shill bidding and that can also create confusion, just forgot to mention that.

kcm
Coin Collector

#8 Unread post by kcm »

Whew! Just looked that up. Thank you once again. At my age, I’ve seen it, of course. I just didn’t know it by name. I confess the ruse escaped my contemplation of Ebay, auctions, and the Ghoulies, ghosties, long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in your videos.

I don’t contemplate making a killing on my stuff. I just don’t want to be nominated for the Nobel Prize for Numismatic Ignorance and Stupidity. I’ve more work to do on the matter.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

kcm wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:02 am Thank you, Patrick. I’ve been tracking the market using Ebay for some time. I do not wholly trust anything I see on Ebay for purposes of reference. Check out my July 18 START HERE post at:

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15472
The SOLD eBay auctions tell what people are currently paying for items. This is a going market value from the largest auction site on the planet. While it is not showing what people are paying at shows, and at other online venues, other venues look to this market as what is probably the largest active market there is.
kcm wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:02 am The warning from Daniel, Paul and the other site experts is “Buy the coin, not the holder.” I find their arguments persuasive. Still Daniel in his characteristic candor advises that he relies on PCGS holders to maintain needed cash flow to his business. I find that reality equally persuasive. Daniel risks passing a “Do as I say, not as I do / Buy as I say, not as I’m forced to sell” gift to collectors.
The reality of the situation is pretty simple - and its actually not a matter of contradiction.
1. Grading companies are not near the perfection people automatically assign to them.
2. Grading companies have created an artificial market - once cracked out, the coin is never guaranteed it will be assigned the same grade, hence what was an MS65 $1000.00 coin might next time be an MS64 $300.00 coin (or vice versa).

Dealers, and others who handle masses of coins and slabs, have experience to know when a coin might grade higher the next time its submitted.
Thus a person who handles so many coins can use the artificial market to profit/finance their business/collection.

The companies are well aware of this, what I will term "playing the game," and make a lot of profits from its existence. Which could very well be why they won't grade using a verifiable process. As long as the companies do not have to explain why they assign a certain grade, the companies can make money.

Can anyone really tell the difference between, let's say, an MS64 and an MS65? No. the subjectivity of the current systems allows/incorporates this fact.

Tons of money hinge on this total subjectivity. If you have been their subjectivity long enough, you have a feeling for making potential profits by playing the game. At the same time some person who enjoys collecting slab+label+coin is made happy by being able to get the desired slab they have been after.

BTW
*Read the PCG guarantee with scrutiny. I have been told over and over that CGS guarantees the coin if you are not satisfied. Read the actual guarantee. All it guarantees is that they will use the system they claim they use to grade your coin (how would anyone prove otherwise?). They DO guarantee they will not label a fake as genuine. And they also guarantee if a person thinks the grade is HIGHER than it should be (hence it is a more valued coin...wink, wink) they will correct that.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

Very good post earle42! Thank you for that!

kcm
Coin Collector

#11 Unread post by kcm »

I agree!