How do I store a stack of 100 older Silver Certificates?

Discuss or ask questions or posts paper currency topics. World currency is allowed as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Oldmismatist
Coining Around

How do I store a stack of 100 older Silver Certificates?

#1 Unread post by Oldmismatist »

I mostly collect coins, but on occasion I will find some paper currency that I like. I have recently acquired a "Stack" of one dollar silver certificates in perfect condition and sequential serial numbers, and I'm not sure how to store them. They came in a zip lock bag, but I'm pretty sure that contains PVC and that seems bad. I don't want to put each bill into a sleeve cause I like the way they look as a Stack. Any ideas? (sry - There are 100 of them)
Attachments
silver certificates.jpg
Last edited by Oldmismatist on Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: How do I store a stack of paper?

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

How many Notes are we talking about ? I've never heard of this before .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Oldmismatist
Coining Around

Re: How do I store a stack of paper?

#3 Unread post by Oldmismatist »

100 all perfect, like NOS if you will.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: How do I store a stack of older Silver Certificates?

#4 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

WOW. Nothing on the internet ?
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Oldmismatist
Coining Around

Re: How do I store a stack of older Silver Certificates?

#5 Unread post by Oldmismatist »

This is the internet, LOL and I'm asking the experts. :) Just saying...... I trust people here, not just random people out there.

Oldmismatist
Coining Around

Re: How do I store a stack of 100 older Silver Certificates?

#6 Unread post by Oldmismatist »

Still, no better ideas for storing them than a baggie? They came sandwiched between 2 pieces of cardboard, which I got rid of immediately because they probably contained some sort of acid. I'm just not sure if a zip lock bag contains PVC, and even if PVC is bad for paper the same way it is to metal. Maybe a baggie is ok, I just don't know.... Maybe a "Crock Pot Liner"? I'm willing to bet that there is no PVC in those.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

All I can say is mine are in a very old zipper top bank envelope and have been stored in a dry place. This has been since the 80s. No problems with them. You could also use the internet to find if there is an PVC in a Zip-lock bag. I know coins I have had in them for over 40 years have no sign of the green slime PVC impart sot coins. I suppose a google asking about PVC in these bags would give an answer as well.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Oldmismatist
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Oldmismatist »

Thank's so much Earle, eases my mind. :)

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

I know collectors who wrap their notes in saran wrap and I haven't noticed any issues. How where and how you store is important.

gooddie
Coin Collector

#10 Unread post by gooddie »

Just an idea. Why not sandwich silver certificates in promissory notes?