Hi, $20 star note with hidden #36

Discuss or ask questions or posts paper currency topics. World currency is allowed as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Lissyma
Coining Around

Hi, $20 star note with hidden #36

#1 Unread post by Lissyma »

I found a 2009 $20 star note in the money I had gotten paid with from work.. While I was looking for errors and etc. I happened to put the bill over the light and i noticed something weird. I seen a digital #36 located in the grass part right above the "T" in the signature of Timothy; whom is Secretary of the Treasury. So now I'm very curious on what it may be worth.
Attachments
20210829_152010.jpg
16305191199792021722211106576272.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hi, $20 star note with hidden #36

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

Pareidolia. Sorry, I tried and cannot see it :)

There is nothing at the Bureau of Printing and Engraving that would make an actual thing such as this during the printing process. Al features on a bill such as security measures are documented.

As to the star...check ebay SOLD for similar notes in similar condition.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Lissyma
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by Lissyma »

I'll post a better picture so you can clearly see the digital 36 in the grass area which is in the reverse side. You cant see it unless you hold it up to the light. And trust me I have checked 4 of my other $20 star notes and dont none of them have any numbers in the grass part. This could be a first find ever of such. IDK.. Wish Daniel would be able to take a look at what I'm talking about.
Attachments
20210829_151801.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

Again, there is nothing in the printing process that can possibly make random things like this on a bill. Environmental issues can make for nonstandard looking items our brain turns into recognizable things (pareidolia).

To understand why what you are seeing is not an error on the bill (not worth a premium), you need to spend some time here:
http://www.bep.gov/hmimdesigning.html

Understanding how bills are made should allow you to understand what you believe you are seeing cannot happen in the manufacturing process.

Here is a somewhat related example using a US 5 dollar bill:
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Lissyma
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Lissyma »

I understand where your coming from and trying to make clear to me. But you see the numbers in my bill are downward and in digital form. Another thing your not able to see these numbers by just looking at it. You need to put it up towards the light and it's clearly visible. From the front part of the bill you can see the digital number 3
6 Now exactly how I just put the number is exactly how it is in the bill right above the T in Timothy. If you look at it from the back the number are backwards of course. I dont know but to me it dont seem like its suppose to be there and no it's not even printed like the numbers printed on the bill example you attached to your comment. But I do thank you for the info. Will come in handy. Thanks in Advance @Earle42