1964 P FB Roosevelt Dime within a set PCGS #81528

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Justice41ca
Coinasieur

1964 P FB Roosevelt Dime within a set PCGS #81528

#1 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Hi,
I have a 1964 Silver Set that came out of Philadelphia Mint. My understanding is this came directly from that mint (My Dad Lived out there and said he knew the people. Anyway, I was watching Daniels's video and got on the site to look, since I have a few older sets that are not proofs. This first one caught my attention. Now the question: I am one that likes pretty coins but this coin has been protected along with the others in the set. Is it worth your time and mine for me to put pictures on here? Should I take it out of the container for the picture? Please advise because I have the 1987 D FB and 1991 D FB - I want to address next and want to do it correctly. Also, Should I send to get graded?

Thanks ahead of time
Jeanne

USSID18

Re: 1964 P FB Roosevelt Dime within a set PCGS #81528

#2 Unread post by USSID18 »

Let's see pictures (front and back) of it in the case first. What is the entire PCGS #?

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by Justice41ca »

USSID18 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:07 pm Let's see pictures (front and back) of it in the case first. What is the entire PCGS #?
Let me look. I thought that was the number. I will have it when I come back with pictures.
Jeanne

richard560729
Coin Collector

#4 Unread post by richard560729 »

Hello. That's a very interesting question and topic. I only last week purchased a set of 1964 proof coins from Philadelphia as a gift for a friend to celebrate her birthday and birth year. I'd love to see you image of the proofs. Was your still in the envelope? Mine was, and it was in a floppy sort of plastic sheet, heat sealed around each coin and a small silvery placard that stated the mint. I did not notice a "pcgs" so I'm curious at that. Thank you !

CoinPyro
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by CoinPyro »

richard560729 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:24 pm I did not notice a "pcgs" so I'm curious at that. Thank you !
My best guess would be that whoever purchased the mint set (either originally or from somebody else) was very impressed with their look. So much so, they spent a good amount of money to get the set graded all at once. I don't believe mint sets or any coins for that matter can come from the mint or from a bank pre-graded, but I am sure someone can correct me if that can happen.

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by Justice41ca »

CoinPyro wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:42 pm
richard560729 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:24 pm I did not notice a "pcgs" so I'm curious at that. Thank you !
My best guess would be that whoever purchased the mint set (either originally or from somebody else) was very impressed with their look. So much so, they spent a good amount of money to get the set graded all at once. I don't believe mint sets or any coins for that matter can come from the mint or from a bank pre-graded, but I am sure someone can correct me if that can happen.
OMG I am so sorry I was trying to direct to the coin that I felt I had. It is not graded that is my question above should I send it in... No Wonder Eric though English was my second language... I try so hard and still get it confused. uggggg
Jeanne

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#7 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Justice41ca wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:11 pm Hi,
I have a 1964 Silver Set that came out of Philadelphia Mint. My understanding is this came directly from that mint (My Dad Lived out there and said he knew the people. Anyway, I was watching Daniels's video and got on the site to look, since I have a few older sets that are not proofs. This first one caught my attention. Now the question: I am one that likes pretty coins but this coin has been protected along with the others in the set. Is it worth your time and mine for me to put pictures on here? Should I take it out of the container for the picture? Please advise because I have the 1987 D FB and 1991 D FB - I want to address next and want to do it correctly. Also, Should I send to get graded?

Thanks ahead of time
O.k. Here are the Pictures and I am sorry you all thought it was graded. I don't think they are proofs It comes in the package that uncirculated. I am going to post that picture first cause if these are proofs no need to go forward.
Jeanne

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#8 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Justice41ca wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:14 pm
USSID18 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:07 pm Let's see pictures (front and back) of it in the case first. What is the entire PCGS #?
Let me look. I thought that was the number. I will have it when I come back with pictures.
I only saw the one number because I was looking at the dime that is what I was focused on. Here is picture of package.
Attachments
Set Complete 1964 P
Set Complete 1964 P
Jeanne

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Justice41ca wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:11 pm Hi,

Thanks ahead of time
I tried to get close up of the Band but the packaging distorts it. They are clear and separated.

My goal was to have a 1964 P Dime that was a MS 68-70.... I think this one is at least a MS 68 FB according to what the grading book stated. Not saying I am right. Ok thank you all.
Attachments
Front of 1964 P Dime
Front of 1964 P Dime
Reverse
Reverse
Jeanne

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#10 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Not graded I was asking if it was good enough to send to get graded. I was listening to Daniels's video and thought I had something that might qualify
Jeanne

JTCC
Coin Guru

#11 Unread post by JTCC »

Justice41ca wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:31 pm
Not graded I was asking if it was good enough to send to get graded. I was listening to Daniels's video and thought I had something that might qualify
no, this set is very common and you would lose money if you send it in for grading.
U.S. cent lover!

USSID18

#12 Unread post by USSID18 »

Justice41ca wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:21 pm
Justice41ca wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:14 pm
I only saw the one number because I was looking at the dime that is what I was focused on. Here is picture of package.
I don't know what number you're talking about but it has nothing to do with PCGS. I agree with JTCC.

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#13 Unread post by Triple C »

Pretty sure Justice41ca meant this:
Screenshot_20211123-160034_Chrome.jpg

USSID18

#14 Unread post by USSID18 »

Jeeezzzz, I think Justice41ca has a bit of a learning curve ahead of him.

I guess everyone has gotta start somewhere. There's no time like the present.

richard560729
Coin Collector

#15 Unread post by richard560729 »

I would also like to know the grading estimate. And what details would make the highest grade. It is definitely difficult to take coin photos with a cell phone. !

USSID18

#16 Unread post by USSID18 »

richard560729 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:25 pm I would also like to know the grading estimate. And what details would make the highest grade. It is definitely difficult to take coin photos with a cell phone. !
I think only Justice41ca can tell us that.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 8.34.15 PM.png

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#17 Unread post by Justice41ca »

USSID18 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:30 pm Jeeezzzz, I think Justice41ca has a bit of a learning curve ahead of him.

I guess everyone has gotta start somewhere. There's no time like the present.
Yes! I agree. My Dad gave me all these when he passed. I have bought all the books watched the videos and still can't seem to get it. So this was my last post. I am sorry I took everyone's time.
Jeanne

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#18 Unread post by Justice41ca »

richard560729 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:25 pm I would also like to know the grading estimate. And what details would make the highest grade. It is definitely difficult to take coin photos with a cell phone. !
I just wanted to know if I was on the right track after watching Daniels's video. Gues I wasn't ... This is what I went by in my estimate that it would be a MS 68 if that is what you are asking. I got it out of The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins. I will tell you what the book said and then I will tell you how I came to the conclusion I did. I am not saying I was right I just am explaining where, when and how I went wrong. Pg 180 MS MS70: A flawless coin exactly as it was minted, with no trace of wear or injury. Must have full mint luster and brilliance or light toning. ***** Even though I thought mine would come into that grade I went lower because I knew that maybe I missed something. Now what it said about MS-67: Virtually flawless, but with very minor imperfections. ***** If mine had any I don't see it. I looked with a jewelers magnifying tool. I could get close enough without the plastic getting in the way. Your guys are right I just don't get it. Example the one listed on PCGS as MS-68 FB just the Bands don't meet the definition of FB to me: Fully defined bands with clear and complete separation between them. Even the example on PCGS for FB's it shows what is not considered FB. So bottom line I have tried, I am not good at it so..... Sorry for you all's time. Thank you for taking the time to answer.
Jeanne

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#19 Unread post by Justice41ca »

I don't know how that happened I wanted to highlight something it didn't work so I thought I deleted it sorry
Jeanne

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#20 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Triple C wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:07 pm Pretty sure Justice41ca meant this:
Screenshot_20211123-160034_Chrome.jpg
That is correct! After watching Daniels's video which I clearly got wrong I went and looked at the Price List on PCGS.
Jeanne

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#21 Unread post by Justice41ca »

I already answer that in the above post. What I went off of and why I thought what I thought, and where I guess I went wrong.
Jeanne

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#22 Unread post by Justice41ca »

JTCC wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:40 pm
no, this set is very common and you would lose money if you send it in for grading.
Thank you, I would like to ask you a favor. if not too much trouble. Can you explain where I went wrong. Eric or Paul I forget which takes their pictures with their note 10. My pictures from the microscope weren't any better. I promise you I am not doubting you. I just want to understand what I am misunderstanding. In the Grade book it said: MS-70 = A flawless coin exactly as it was minted. With no trace of wear or injury. Must have full min luster and brilliance or light toning. How does my coin differ please?
Jeanne

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Unread post by Earle42 »

The grading companies are not what most people think they are. Please take the time to read the following. It will help you understand what actually happens vs. what we read in books and what the companies actually do. Its an eye opener with facts to back it up.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Here is some beginners fishing tackle. Its worth your time to read.

Following is info concerning the actual nature of grading companies that can help people make better educated decisions.😊

Thinking of Slabbing? Make sure you understand the Facts...or You Could Lose Money.

1. The grading companies are not a way that the majority of people, even those with a great deal of experience who know what they are doing, are going to be able to use in order to make huge personal profits. Many people start using grading companies thinking they will find a way to finance their hobby, but they learn a hard lesson quickly.

2. Watch some of Daniel's videos where he gets pieces back form the grading companies. Note even people who live, eat, breath, and deal coins for a living (like Daniel) can accurately predict what grade the companies will give. And...the "fault" (not really a fault) is in a widespread mistaken perception people get from being exposed to all the slabs being sold nowadays.

Coin grading companies are a business out to make a profit - this is why they exist. They use a system where (allegedly, but in reality its normally two) three graders look at each coin and give an opinion. The company videos showing the process make you believe this is a relaxed paced process of studying each coin. In fact one PCGS video shows a number of guys sitting around a table discussing what they think a specific coin should be graded as (on youtube somewhere - sorry no link). Uh uh.

If you take a PCGS graded coin slabbed as MS64, break it out, and resubmit it to PCGS, you are never guaranteed the same grade again. The slabbed coin might come back MS62 (bad day for graders), 63, 64, 65, 66 (great day for you!). This is b/c the process is all subjective: No scientific/verifiable standards or methods are used. Personally having talked with former graders (granted - its been awhile), the process is very rushed since they told me graders are paid by how many coins they can get through in a day.

But..this is all hearsay without proof. So...
Grading the Coin Graders

Here is another good read from someone there at the start of the grading companies:
Hobby negative impacts from slabbing companies

3. People also seem to think grading companies will examine a coin to see if they can find an error and then slab it as such. But again, they ONLY GRADE coins. The companies will NOT try to find and ID an error for you. You must FIRST ID the error yourself, CHECK to see if the company you want to use recognizes that specific error, PAY them to verify the error on the label, and then you may or may not actually get what you pay for! The companies have a bad reputation for attributing errors correctly.

Link to and read (download if you want it) the pdf link in my signature as an eye opening example.

The verifiable data presented shows trusting people have spent thousands of dollars on many slabbed coins that are not what the companies claims/slabbed the coins to be.

You don't have to throw in the towel over these companies...but education about the reality of them will put you on the right pathway to dealing with them in a legit way without losing money in the process.

And…if you just like to collect slabbed coins for what they are, which makes losing/making money from slabs irrelevant, then of course enjoy them!" 😊
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#24 Unread post by Justice41ca »

JTCC wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:40 pm
Okay It took me a little bit but I now know why it isn't MS upper grade. I found one place where in its description it states fully struck. Mine is very weak, I think. In my defense all other descriptions I looked up leave that very important part out. Thanks again everyone
Jeanne

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Unread post by Earle42 »

[/quote]
... I am so sorry I was trying to direct to the coin that I felt I had. It is not graded that is my question above should I send it in... No Wonder Eric though English was my second language... I try so hard and still get it confused. uggggg
[/quote]
No. Normally your cost will far outweigh coin value unless you have something rare.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Here is some beginners fishing tackle. Its worth your time to read.

Following is info concerning the actual nature of grading companies that can help people make better educated decisions.😊

Thinking of Slabbing? Make sure you understand the Facts...or You Could Lose Money.

1. The grading companies are not a way that the majority of people, even those with a great deal of experience who know what they are doing, are going to be able to use in order to make huge personal profits. Many people start using grading companies thinking they will find a way to finance their hobby, but they learn a hard lesson quickly.

2. Watch some of Daniel's videos where he gets pieces back from the grading companies. Note even people who live, eat, breath, and deal coins for a living (like Daniel) can accurately predict what grade the companies will give. And...the "fault" (not really a fault) is in a widespread mistaken perception people get from being exposed to all the slabs being sold nowadays.

Coin grading companies are a business out to make a profit - this is why they exist. They use a system where (allegedly, but in reality its normally two) three graders look at each coin and give an opinion. The company videos showing the process make you believe this is a relaxed paced process of studying each coin. In fact one PCGS video shows a number of guys sitting around a table discussing what they think a specific coin should be graded as (on youtube somewhere - sorry no link). Uh uh.

If you take a PCGS graded coin slabbed as MS64, break it out, and resubmit it to PCGS, you are never guaranteed the same grade again. The slabbed coin might come back MS62 (bad day for graders), 63, 64, 65, 66 (great day for you!). This is b/c the process is all subjective: No scientific/verifiable standards or methods are used. Personally having talked with former graders (granted - its been awhile), the process is very rushed since they told me graders are paid by how many coins they can get through in a day.

Grading the Coin Graders

Here is another good read from someone there at the start of the grading companies:

3. People also seem to think grading companies will examine a coin to see if they can find an error and then slab it as such. But again, they ONLY GRADE coins. The companies will NOT try to find and ID an error for you. You must FIRST ID the error yourself, CHECK to see if the company you want to use recognizes that specific error, PAY them to verify the error on the label, and then you may or may not actually get what you pay for! The companies have a bad reputation for attributing errors correctly.

Link to and read (download if you want it) the pdf link in my signature as an eye opening example.

The verifiable data presented shows trusting people have spent thousands of dollars on many slabbed coins that are not what the companies claims/slabbed the coins to be.

You don't have to throw in the towel over these companies...but education about the reality of them will put you on the right pathway to dealing with them in a legit way without losing money in the process.

And…if you just like to collect slabbed coins for what they are, which makes losing/making money from slabs irrelevant, then of course enjoy them!" 😊
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#26 Unread post by Earle42 »

... I am so sorry I was trying to direct to the coin that I felt I had. It is not graded that is my question above should I send it in... No Wonder Eric though English was my second language... I try so hard and still get it confused. uggggg
No. Normally your cost will far outweigh coin value unless you have something rare.

2. Watch some of Daniel's videos where he gets pieces back from the grading companies. Note even people who live, eat, breath, and deal coins for a living (like Daniel) can accurately predict what grade the companies will give. And...the "fault" (not really a fault) is in a widespread mistaken perception people get from being exposed to all the slabs being sold nowadays.

Coin grading companies are a business out to make a profit - this is why they exist. They use a system where allegedly three, but in reality its normally two, graders look at each coin and give an opinion. The company videos showing the process make you believe this is a relaxed paced process of studying each coin. In fact one PCGS video shows a number of guys sitting around a table discussing what they think a specific coin should be graded as (on youtube somewhere - sorry no link). Uh uh.

Grading the Coin Graders