Question: Difference - NGC First Day Issue and Reg Proof

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Justice41ca
Coinasieur

Question: Difference - NGC First Day Issue and Reg Proof

#1 Unread post by Justice41ca »

My question is simple. I know what I have read but I am finding there is usually more to it.
What is the difference if any ..... besides the obvious.

- Year, Silver Proof Set, Minors, First Day of Issue. Gem Proof, NGC
and say...
- Year, Silver Proof Set, PR Gem

I see that PGCS Has something similar but they call it First Strike.

Is there a difference I need to be aware of ... Like the first issues not as good as later etc.

It is to me a simple question. I fear I have left something off or have missed something. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time
Jeanne

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question: Difference - NGC First Day Issue and Reg Proof

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

The date it was sent to the grading company and the date on the box, nothing else. It's basically a gimmick.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

Remember that it's all about

M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G !!!
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

Slab it and they will come...
...shell out their hard earned cash for modern snake oil.

OK..OK...actually although it is just a gimmicky way to get people to empty their wallets faster, if someone likes a set of different looking labels for FUN and does not care about spending the money, then I who am I to say they are "wrong" for wanting them.

Hey, I collect date nails..who am I to judge?😅
Date Nails 101!
Date Nails 101!
My Sante Fe RR Date Nail complete round set 1901-1968 + variants
My Sante Fe RR Date Nail complete round set 1901-1968 + variants
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Thank you all for responding. I was actually that it would be of lesser value. I wanted the silver set for 2020 with the W Nickel. I tried for 3 months to get it from the mint. Even though they sent message and said it was available I still lost out. I'd get on the phone and wait till they starting taking calls to see if that worked. I'm not complaining I got 3 out of the 4 things I wanted. Anyway, I wanted this set but this guy wasn't marking up the price as much as the others. He has 99% approval rating so I took the chance. We will see on Friday. I did what you all said to do. I saved everything from the page pic's, description, etc. I really wanted a set.
Jeanne

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Earle42 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:08 pm Slab it and they will come...
...shell out their hard earned cash for modern snake oil.

OK..OK...actually although it is just a gimmicky way to get people to empty their wallets faster, if someone likes a set of different looking labels for FUN and does not care about spending the money, then I who am I to say they are "wrong" for wanting them.

Hey, I collect date nails..who am I to judge?😅
20140124_Date_Nails_101_Opt98.jpg

2015_06_29_AT&SF Date Nails.jpg
Well, I can honestly say I have never seen one until now. I didn't even know there was such a thing. Curious, how did you get started with this collection?
Jeanne

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

I walked a LOT (understatement) of RR tracks in my life looking for glass and porcelain insulators - back before 9/11 (when America was free):
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
My main display window of 190. About 20% of the collection!
Click to enlarge.  Then zoom!
Click to enlarge. Then zoom!
Linemen used to replace older ones and drop them at the base of the poles. After open wire tech was phased out, the RRs actually did not mind people removing them b/c ridiculous lawsuits and liability were not as insanely rampant as today.

So walking away from the car, I looked for insulators. On the way back became just as fun hunting for a numerical run of date nails!

Here is a complete Western MD RR set. Its also the only complete set I have heard of with the larger (called a Hubbard and very rare - 3 known) copper nail that was used at intersections to ID the RR.
Complete set including Hubbard nail.
Complete set including Hubbard nail.
My initials are LB -so I had to have the LB (Long Bell) Lumber Company complete set they used for marking the telephone poles they made:
Long Bell Lumber Co.
Long Bell Lumber Co.
Long Bell "Hubbard Nails"
Long Bell "Hubbard Nails"
Random ones I pulled personally over the years. Some are unique as most of these nails are buried in land fills now.
Various
Various
It used to be a big hobby in the 70s but died out after unscrupulous practices killed the hobby. Look up the Texas Date Nail association.

I like them, like coins, for their designs and history.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Paul

#8 Unread post by Paul »

Great GOOGLY-MOOGLY, that's a fantastic insulator collection!
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Earle42 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:18 pm I walked a LOT (understatement) of RR tracks in my life looking for glass and porcelain insulators - back before 9/11 (when America was free):

3-28-9_My_Window_1 copy.JPG

My main display window of 190. About 20% of the collection!
43311_InsulatorWindow_Display.jpg

Linemen used to replace older ones and drop them at the base of the poles. After open wire tech was phased out, the RRs actually did not mind people removing them b/c ridiculous lawsuits and liability were not as insanely rampant as today.

So walking away from the car, I looked for insulators. On the way back became just as fun hunting for a numerical run of date nails!

Here is a complete Western MD RR set. Its also the only complete set I have heard of with the larger (called a Hubbard and very rare - 3 known) copper nail that was used at intersections to ID the RR.
WM RR Nail Set copy.jpg

My initials are LB -so I had to have the LB (Long Bell) Lumber Company complete set they used for marking the telephone poles they made:
Long_Bell_Copper_Steel_1.gif
Long_Bell_Date_Nails(1).jpg

Random ones I pulled personally over the years. Some are unique as most of these nails are buried in land fills now.
Hubbrds&Poles_locations.jpg.jpg

It used to be a big hobby in the 70s but died out after unscrupulous practices killed the hobby. Look up the Texas Date Nail association.

I like them, like coins, for their designs and history.
Those are awesome! Believe it or not I remember these. Insulators...Not the nails lol. I had no idea that they stamped the nails like that. Well you have shown me something new.... Thank you! Quite impressive.
Jeanne

JTCC
Coin Guru

#10 Unread post by JTCC »

impressive collection!
U.S. cent lover!

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#11 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Back to my original question: I take everything you all tell me and try and apply the things I remember. So, with this 2020 Silver set I proceeded with caution. I thought that it being listed this way, might mean lesser strike or something.
After what you all said I decided to go for it...
THANK YOU so much. I received my 2020 Silver Set with W Nickel and all. It is beyond my expectations in fact it looks better than the 2021 Silver Set I got from the US Mint. To be fair I didn't order until few months ago... I guess the die was getting worn.
Anyway, I have question about this First Stike Nickel. Will it be safe enough if I put in a holder (I bought some) or should I send out?
I just want to make sure this coin looks as beautiful in 40 years as it does now.
I haven't been doing this long enough to know, but you all said very important to preserve your coins so how should I handle this w nickel?
Jeanne

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Earle42 »

The safest storage methods for coin involve trying your best to limit humidity. And the less possibility of air circulation inside the holder with the coin, the better.

Believe it or not, a cheap 2X2 holder is one of the safest (though maybe not for dollar coins). Another route which is considered safest is a coin capsule. Coins can, and do, sometimes deteriorate (tone) in professional slabs, it should not be assumed these are the safest method of storing coins.

Get some desiccant to store in with the coins. Want more than you can use for free? Go to the local furniture store and ask the owner if he would be willing to have all of the silica gel packs that every piece of boxed furniture they receive has packed inside. The employees who assemble the furniture have to handle these bags to throw them away, so its likely they wouldn't mind hanging a Walmart bag on the wall and putting the packs in there instead. After a month it will be full beyond what you can use. The store owner saves a little on his trash pick up, you get the silica instead of it being a land fill, and your coins stay dry. Win-win-win.

Justice41ca
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Earle42 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:30 pm The safest storage methods for coin involve trying your best to limit humidity. And the less possibility of air circulation inside the holder with the coin, the better.

Believe it or not, a cheap 2X2 holder is one of the safest (though maybe not for dollar coins). Another route which is considered safest is a coin capsule. Coins can, and do, sometimes deteriorate (tone) in professional slabs, it should not be assumed these are the safest method of storing coins.

Get some desiccant to store in with the coins. Want more than you can use for free? Go to the local furniture store and ask the owner if he would be willing to have all of the silica gel packs that every piece of boxed furniture they receive has packed inside. The employees who assemble the furniture have to handle these bags to throw them away, so its likely they wouldn't mind hanging a Walmart bag on the wall and putting the packs in there instead. After a month it will be full beyond what you can use. The store owner saves a little on his trash pick up, you get the silica instead of it being a land fill, and your coins stay dry. Win-win-win.
Thank you, I will put in the coin capsule. I had already bought some. I also have the 2x2 but I worry about the humidity in the house. The AC is always running. I have the rings that came with the capsule. I will do my best. Thank you so much Earl!
Jeanne