When is the last time somebody re-submitted ...

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
CaptJohn2
Coinasieur

When is the last time somebody re-submitted ...

#1 Unread post by CaptJohn2 »

..a coin because they thought it was OVER-graded! Well how about never. Crack it out and send it in until you get a high enough grade to satisfy you - that is the game now. Too bad that folks don't learn how to grade for themselves but instead rely on a little sticker inside a slab. I can see using a TPG to verify that a coin is real (not fake) - that is what ANA did in the beginning. There are some very deceptive fakes so it makes sense to have high value coins verified.

But as far as I am concerned, the slabbing is only making TPGs rich, not the collector. One recent You Tube video that I watched had one dealer admit that he had submitted the same coin TWELVE times! If he ever gets the grade he wants, I would hate to be the person who buys it.

There used to be great displays of rare coins at lure shows. Neat custom holders really looked great. Now all you see are a bunch of unattractive slabs that take up extra space. I had a few custom Capital holders that I designed to hold my Great Britain Victory type sets. No doubt all those beauties now are in ugly slabs. But the genie is out of the bottle so I have few chances to buy raw coins that I want for my collections.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: When is the last time somebody re-submitted ...

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

You point is exactly why the PCGS "guarantee" works out so well...for the company.

They "guarantee" they will fix the situation if over graded or offer to buy at market value (and the fine print below says that THEY determine market value as the cost they believe a dealer would pay).

So does the company break the coin out of the slab, lower the grade, and then sell the newly slabbed but less valued coin? Or do they just leave the coin in the higher graded slab and sell it for a premium? After all, even they say grading is subjective...so...?
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Problem is I know how to grade but the buyer has to agree with my grade and 99% of the buyers will not pay me the graded price for an ungraded coin even if they look the same grade.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

The "name brand" marketing curse.

A business is born to create a way to make money from the coin hobby, and that entity artificially sets itself up as "the authorities."

Human nature surfaces with the masses masses who throw caution to the wind and accept ("well, everyone else is doing it") marketing hype instead of taking the time and effort to research for themselves.

The greater the masses grow, the more and more the company is gifted with claims it never makes for itself. Thus we end up with the knee jerk reaction mentality of, "I have an error, how do I send it in to be verified/graded?" For other subjects this type of following is called hero worship.

So the real experts like Daniel and other truly experienced and knowledgeable dealers get pushed aside.

Other consequences are that the (sort of) peer pressure driven masses focus on only key and/or graded coins and everything else is just junk solver as part of the set. The logical concept of each amazing little pice of history having a value based upon actual statistics of mint mark, mintage, and availability are thrown out the window being sacrificed on the altar of commercial dollar signs.

For most It used to be special to find/have an S mint mark no matter the date since fewer always were made. Forget that now. A non-key mercury dime with an S can be as readily melted as a 1964 Roosevelt dime.

Eccl 1:9 “The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.”
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

CaptJohn2
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by CaptJohn2 »

There are MANY examples of coins in PCGS slabs that are over-graded (in my opinion). Anybody who pays based on that grade will be very disappointed when they sell. Here is just one example. A buffalo they graded VF35 and to the right is the example they show in their own Photograde.
Attachments
VF35.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#6 Unread post by Paul »

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

They also under-grade and are not consistent. Although you should be comparing same date and mint since design changes can effect how certain areas of a coin wear. Also lighting can mess things up as well. Although I agree the grade doesn't look VF35 on the 25 D.

CaptJohn2
Coinasieur

#8 Unread post by CaptJohn2 »

Here is a link about overgraded slabs that I started over on Coin Community. Lot of examples of Canada coins but some US as well. I haven't seen a similar blog about undergraded coins. Of course lots of folks think they got THEIR coin undergraded! Har!

overgraded slabs link

CaptJohn2
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by CaptJohn2 »

Here is another 1925-D graded F12. I would rather have it than the VF above.

1925D.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

I agree with that! Good post.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Earle42 »

Ay Cap'n, I think you have a briny winner there! Someone need publish an ebook full o' these t' maybe get th' companies' attention and let them see they need t' step up their game. I thank ye for the link!